• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI conducted predawn raid of former Trump campaign chairman Manafort’s home

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...e7-9d08-b79f191668ed_story.html?tid=ss_tw-amp

FBI agents raided the Alexandria home of President Trump’s former campaign chairman late last month, using a search warrant to seize documents and other materials, according to people familiar with the special counsel investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

Federal agents appeared at Paul Manafort’s home without advance warning in the predawn hours of July 26, the day after he met voluntarily with the staff for the Senate Intelligence Committee.

The search warrant was wide-ranging and FBI agents working with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III departed the home with various records.

The raid came as Manafort has been voluntarily producing documents to congressional committees investigating Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election. The search warrant indicates investigators may have argued to a federal judge they had reason to believe Manafort could not be trusted to turn over all records in response to a grand jury subpoena.

It could also have been intended to send a message to President Trump’s former campaign chairman that he should not expect gentle treatment or legal courtesies from Mueller’s team.

99tookP.jpg

The raid came as Manafort has been voluntarily producing documents to congressional committees investigating Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election. The search warrant indicates investigators may have argued to a federal judge they had reason to believe Manafort could not be trusted to turn over all records in response to a grand jury subpoena.

I can definitely believe this.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Pre Dawn? Damn, that's when you know they're trying to catch you slippin

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If this happened last month, it is amazing they kept this under wraps for this long
It seems likely to me that they were asked not to report on it for some period of time.

I can definitely believe this.

Probably because the Trump team has been blatant on areas where the special council shouldn't go, so I don't doubt for a second they've already 'advised' Flynn, Manafort and every other sacked person on what they can and cannot retain or should destroy

Frankly I'm in a reality right now where it wouldn't shock me (as much as it would with any previous administration that is) if a thread went up about pre-dawn raids on the White House

winjet81

Always curious about these types of raids and their success.

Wouldn't someone like Manafort just burn/delete any incriminating documents rather than have them lying around his desk/hard-drive at home?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Wouldn't someone like Manafort just burn/delete any incriminating documents rather than have them lying around his desk/hard-drive at home?

I am not a criminal, but I have always kind of assumed illegal activity is interwoven with everything. It's not like there is a folder named "Illegal Stuff" that you can delete, but there are records of money moving between accounts, phone bills, etc.

slider

Hope they got something substantial. Oh fuck it, I'll give in to my bias. Hope they got something incriminating.

Siegcram

The search warrant indicates investigators may have argued to a federal judge they had reason to believe Manafort could not be trusted to turn over all records in response to a grand jury subpoena.
I'm sure they had to work hard to convince the judge.

Many of us have first hand experience of how tech savvy the average person is. Who do you think will be better at data hide and seek? The average person or the FBI digital forensics team?

YaBish

Frankly I'm in a reality right now where it wouldn't shock me (as much as it would with any previous administration that is) if a thread went up about pre-dawn raids on the White House
*Puts on Tin foil hat*

What if the reason they're doing construction in the White House right now was to get Trump out so Mueller and Co. can check the whole place 🤔

Wait, last month?

So the FBI saw the emails from Trum Jr before the story even came out?

Manafort flipped on Trump Jr?

Some FBI guy leaked e emails to NYT?

I didn't read anying yet so I'm prob dead wrong.

Hesemonni

Banned
I mean, you'd think the shredders have been running pretty much non-stop for quite a while and everything even remotely pointing to anything prosecutable should be gone by now?

Top Bottom