• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fed approves GMO mosquitos to fight Zika carrying ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown...&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=newshour

The Food and Drug Administration has issued its final environmental assessment of the plan, saying that the proposed field trial in Key Haven, a suburb of Key West, “will not have significant impacts on the environment.”
Now it’s up to the people who live there to vote in November on whether the trial can move forward.

The project was proposed by the British biotech company Oxitec and has been under review since 2011, well before Zika virus exploded throughout South America, up through Mexico and Puerto Rico and into Florida. But the decision came just days after the first local transmissions by mosquitoes were confirmed in the U.S., in Miami-Dade and Broward counties.

Mutant mosquitos, brehs.

The good thing about Zika hitting the US is we have more resources to put a serious fight compared to Latin America.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
image1-672x372.jpg

entremet

The warfare is genetic.
Parry’s company has been genetically modifying millions of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in a lab with a synthetic protein that kills their offspring before they can emerge from larvae as adults and transmit the Zika virus or other diseases such as Dengue.

If wild female mosquitoes mate with sterile males, the population dies off rapidly.

Oxitec has already released millions of them in Brazil, Panama and the Cayman Islands. The results have been significant: They have reduced some local mosquito populations by more than 90 percent

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Can they please label these mosquitoes? Not that I am afraid of GMO mosquitoes, or anything, I just think that people should have a choice in knowing what kind of mosquitoes are biting them.

Won't the GMO mosquitos start a trickle down effect in the food chain where eventually all our animals will have autism?

Wilsongt

Can they please label these mosquitoes? Not that I am afraid of GMO mosquitoes, or anything, I just think that people should have a choice in knowing what kind of mosquitoes are biting them.

Each mosquito will be required to wear a tiny badge that says "i'm gmo". the green badge of anti-gmo policy.

Grug

SKINNER
Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.

LISA
But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?

SKINNER
No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.

LISA
But aren't the snakes even worse?

SKINNER
Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

LISA
But then we're stuck with gorillas!

SKINNER
No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

KingBroly

Banned
Can someone break this down?

Is this like, stuff humans take, and when mosquitos bite them, they get this stuff in them, and it'll lead to them mating, and they won't be able to breed?

Grug

Can someone break this down?

Is this like, stuff humans take, and when mosquitos bite them, they get this stuff in them, and it'll lead to them mating, and they won't be able to breed?

There's no "stuff" to be passed on by a bite. It's the genetic code of the mosquito that is modified. It's basically reprogrammed to make sure that any offspring of the GMO mosquito and the Zika mosquito are sterile and unable to reproduce.

Breeding them out basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom