• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF12: Executive proeducer - Akitoshi Kawazu

belgurdo

Banned
GAFers cry :lol

Seriously, though, I hope his presence means the end of level grinding in FF (but don't turn the battles into math tests, please)

DO NOT WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

Matsuno's title is "Original Plan / Scenario Plot / Supervision."

Which is just three fancy ways of saying "not involved anymore."

belgurdo said:
GAFers cry :lol

Seriously, though, I hope his presence means the end of level grinding in FF (but don't turn the battles into math tests, please)

GAFers am not cry; this means he's still there! :D :D :D

Granted...not as much...

Razoric

Banned
Final Fantasy XII

Message from Matsuno

http://www.ff12.com/topics/staff.html

Could someone translate this please? Thank you

Yay. Finally official word. Basically the producer says Matsuno has had a long illness and had to be taken off the project as a director (still has supervisional input) and the staff is working hard at staying true to what he started.

Then there's a bit from Matsuno who apologizes for the game delay and regrets not being hands-on with the project at the moment but he says the game is in great hands and everyone is working to make an awesome game.

:D

duckroll

Okay let's clarify everything now that the official word is out.

1) Matsuno was very, very sick and hasn't been able to work on FFXII. He is very sorry but he's better now and everything will be done by 3/16.

2) FFXII is still 100% Matsuno, he is credited with the original plan, the scenario and is the supervisor on the project.

3) Itoh and Minagawa have been bumped to director positions to keep the team together in his absense and he's 100% supportive of that.

4) Kawazu is simply taking over Sakaguchi's previous position on the FF games because he's the most senior staff at Square Enix working with the Square side at this moment. This doesn't mean the game is moving or has moved to any new direction, simply that Sakaguchi left and he's taking up the executive producer spot.

THIS IS VERY GOOD NEWS, SO CALM DOWN! :D

duckroll said:

1) Matsuno was very, very sick and hasn't been able to work on FFXII. He is very sorry but he's better now and everything will be done by 3/16.

2) FFXII is still 100% Matsuno, he is credited with the original plan, the scenario and is the supervisor on the project.

3) Itoh and Minagawa have been bumped to director positions to keep the team together in his absense and he's 100% supportive of that.

4) Kawazu is simply taking over Sakaguchi's previous position on the FF games because he's the most senior staff at Square Enix working with the Square side at this moment. This doesn't mean the game is moving or has moved to any new direction, simply that Sakaguchi left and he's taking up the executive producer spot.

THIS IS VERY GOOD NEWS, SO CALM DOWN! :D

awesome!

Zeo

Banned
I need to see something that makes me care about the game.

A trailer, exciting screen shots, SOMETHING. I've never been so not excited for an FF.

(And uh, in before this turns into a 5 page thread.)

Gattsu25

Banned
duckroll said:

Where does he say this? He is still in a general supervisor role, but he is no longer directly involved is what I took from that message

I can imagine squeenix employees sending him text messages about what they are planning to implement (or have accomplished) that day while he lays in a hospital bed with a bag next to him filled with thick bloody vomit

u_neek

SatelliteOfLove said:
Wait; didn't Nomura catch some kind of nasty flu last year, too? It's like a Squaregionnaire's Disease hitting their offices or something.

Yeah, they should really let another company do FF13.... EA maybe....

Shouta

He got sick is the offical word? That shit must've been REALLY bad so that he couldn't do hands on for the project. I wonder what he contracted.

duckroll said:

1) Matsuno went crazy.
2) Nobody at Square Enix can decipher the relationship flowcharts Matsuno scrawled in his own blood before snapping. It's easier if we don't change the story and just give him credit.
3) Crazy people can't direct games, so we put these two guys in charge. The chief warden of Matsuno's sanitarium signed a release supporting this decision.
4) We have taken severe measures to ensure this never happens again.

Zeo

Banned
Shouta said:
He got sick is the offical word? That shit must've been REALLY bad so that he couldn't do hands on for the project. I wonder what he contracted.

Don't you think official word of him just being sick would have been released by now? It seems strange.

Bebpo

Banned
Shouta said:

I hope he didn't get cancer :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
JackFrost2012 said:
1) Matsuno went crazy.
2) Nobody at Square Enix can decipher the relationship flowcharts Matsuno scrawled in his own blood before snapping. It's easier if we don't change the story and just give him credit.
3) Crazy people can't direct games, so we put these two guys in charge. The chief warden of Matsuno's sanitarium signed a release supporting this decision.
4) We have taken severe measures to ensure this never happens again.
:(

Pellham

Banned
Hiroshi Minagawa was one of the three guys that Matsuno originally brought with him when he jumped ship from Quest to Square in the first place, so it seems like this game is still in decent hands. And Itoh directed FF9, which I liked, so it's all good.

Sucks about Matsuno going crazy though. It doesn't surprise me that "nobody could decipher his relationship charts", because Matsuno was just that hardcore of a story creator.

Zeo said:
Don't you think official word of him just being sick would have been released by now? It seems strange.

Well, in Japan even if you are sick you still go to work as the culture kind of dictates that if you get sick, it's your own fault.

So he probably came to work while sick, got worse for it, and ended up having to go to the hospital.

or

He actually did have a nervous breakdown, thus making him unable to work.

Pellham

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
I don't know what to believe anymore with this game :/

The end product might not totally be Matsuno quality (ala Vagrant Story, FFT, TO, whichever game of his that people like), but it should still be pretty good, FF9ish at least.

Pellham said:
The end product might not totally be Matsuno quality (ala Vagrant Story, FFT, TO, whichever game of his that people like), but it should still be pretty good, FF9ish at least.

DO YOU WANT ME TO DRINK VODKA STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOTTLE?! DON'T SAY SHIT LIKE THAT!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, Matsuno was so sick he couldn't even take part in the FFXII? Must've been really serious then, considering how much of a vital role he has in the project. So this is the real reason behind all those FFXII delays? Man must've been really tough for him...not only because of his illness, but also because of the heavy, heavy burden that is FFXII...

SantaC

JackFrost2012 said:
DO YOU WANT ME TO DRINK VODKA STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOTTLE?! DON'T SAY SHIT LIKE THAT!

hey Baccardi Razz is drinkable right out of the bottle because it's so damn good :D

but also because of the heavy, heavy burden that is FFXII

Well yeah, after like 4 years of work people will expect a lot from this game.

MadFuzzy said:
And cue that picture of Matsuno in a straightjacket...

crazymatsuno.jpg

Zeo

Banned
This is where I want to put in a witty remark about Matsuno being in Africa with Dave Chappelle, but since it's probably already been done, I'll skip that.

Awesome. Kawazu is the fuckin' man. Maybe we'll get some real DEPTH in our FF mechanics, keeping the plot and characters in the second fiddle role where they belong.

NUMBERS. STATS. UPGRADES. MASSIVE COMPLEXITY. These are what make RPGs good.

ronito

Kawazu???

KAWAZU????!!!!!

You're going to take the bread and butter of Squaresoft and give it to a man who's games are among the worst you've made...ever?????!!!

den_do19.jpg

Where's thegia.com when you need it to do a "SquarEnix goes CRAZY!" story.
That's Kawazy!!! (get it?!...sigh...)

Razoric

Banned
ronito said:
Kawazu???

KAWAZU????!!!!!

You're going to take the bread and butter of Squaresoft and give it to a man who's games are among the worst you've made...ever?????!!!

den_do19.jpg

Where's thegia.com when you need it to do a "SquarEnix goes CRAZY!" story.
That's Kawazy!!! (get it?!...sigh...)

does the executive producer even do much besides sign the checks and say "yes thats cool"?

I can't tell you how happy I'd be to get an FF title that EGM scores in the 3s largely because of complete design opacity and an emphasis on hardcore spreadsheet antics.

Shouta

Drinky Crow said:
I can't tell you how happy I'd be to get an FF title that EGM scores in the 3s largely because of complete design opacity and an emphasis on hardcore spreadsheet antics.

That'd be kind of fun to see actually. It just better not be totally obtuse like most of the SaGa games.

Top Bottom