• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXVI is shaping up to be the god of war game I always wanted lol

Damigos

The demo probably was the best demo i ve played in years! Game is shaping up to be a masterpiece.
I hope some protagonists will perma die, which is one of the reasons why FF7 is so memorable

GymWolf

I thought the eikon battle was spectacular but an absolute slog to play and was too long for how simple the gameplay was.

The first part when you walk around during the shiva and titan fight was cool.

Well OK I'm in. Just watched a YT video and read up about.
Did you try the demo? I know people are praising the game through the heavens but it wouldn't hurt trying it out before committing to it. Better than going all blind through the hype and regretting it later because I'm sure we will have posts like that following the release of the game.

Last edited:

Lethal01

It gave me that feeling I got back in 2010 when I played GOW 3. that insane epic setpiece that the entire mother fucking industry just straight up forgot about as they went on to make INTIMATE dad games and forgot what makes video games FUN.

Japan never forgot, they've been the kings from the start.

Last edited:

Porticus

Basically to do this FF they tried to take inspiration from so many games/tv/movie that it lost completely its identity.

Good job Yoshi P.

Schmendrick

The scale of those titan fights in FFVI is exactly what`s missing in the newer GoW games, I´ll give you that.
Nothing in the newer games touched the ridiculousness we got in GoW 3. Like that Chronos fight f.e.

Go_Ly_Dow

Nah, I don't want god of war to be an interactive movie thx. Ffxvi is not for me at all.

The only thing god of war needs now is scale.

Makes me doubt this industry massively.
Lol I think it needs more than that. Rangarock had atrocious dialogue that felt like it belonged in a modern Netflix original like Stranger Things, rather than a work that's meant to be set in a mythological Norse world. Really took me right out of the experience, along with the repetition, boring bosses and weak closing acts.

vs Classic GOW, memorable boss encounters, much more gripping story, classically inspired writing style

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Lol I think it needs more than that. Rangarock had atrocious dialogue that felt like it belonged in a modern Netflix original like Stranger Things, rather than a work that's meant to be set in a mythological Norse world. Really took me right out of the experience, along with the repetition, boring bosses and weak closing acts.

vs Classic GOW, memorable boss encounters, much more gripping story, classically inspired writing style

My god, that dialogue was horrible. And that Perseus boss fight reminded me how much better the soundtrack of the old games were.

On the topic... no. FF is too story and dialogue heavy, not to mention the RPG mechanics. Classic GOW was very gameplay and set-piece focused, and the mostly linear progression made it much easier to balance the fights. Its a point i'm worried about in FFXVI, despite all the hype over having DMCV combat director

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
They already said it won't be six months. More than likely will drop when they add DLC sort of like they did with FF7R and XV. It's always a year or more later on PC. I'll be double dipping whenever it does.
Awesome!
Means I'll get a fixed up experience as well as a chance to get through that gigantic backlog first :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nautilus

Banned
Nah, I don't want god of war to be an interactive movie thx. Ffxvi is not for me at all.

The only thing god of war needs now is scale.

Makes me doubt this industry massively.
Agreed. I get the OPs sentiment( even if I love GOW 4 and 5), but I want my FF to be FF, and not God of War or Bayonetta.

Nautilus

Banned
Basically to do this FF they tried to take inspiration from so many games/tv/movie that it lost completely its identity.

Good job Yoshi P.
But people have been saying that we can't feel like that! The fanbase HAS to accept that XVI is a true FF game!

Hope people enjoy it for what it is, but also hope people be more accepting of the fact that there are people with different opinions out there

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels

Good job Yoshi P.
No, it didn't. 16 knows clearly what it is going for: it's a stylized and dark high fantasy story on an european-inspired setting. In fact, the most common point of criticism among the conservative crowd is that 16 sticks so strongly to what it wants to be that it leaves no room to appeal to those who would prefer turn-based elements, "romantic" storytelling or exotic-looking characters.

I understand it may feel like a "slap in your face" for those who don't enjoy this style, but it's not because of any lack of identity.

No, it didn't. 16 knows clearly what it is going for: it's a stylized and dark high fantasy story on an european-inspired setting. In fact, the most common point of criticism among the conservative crowd is that 16 sticks so strongly to what it wants to be that it leaves no room to appeal to those who would prefer turn-based elements, "romantic" storytelling or exotic-looking characters.

I understand it may feel like a "slap in your face" for those who don't enjoy this style, but it's not because of any lack of identity.
You think that Square didn't notice the popularity of GoT, Witcher and Dark Souls?

Nautilus

Banned
You think that Square didn't notice the popularity of GoT, Witcher and Dark Souls?
Yeah. And people can't put 2+2 together and not realize that this was the biggest factor for making this game, and they decided to slap a FF logo on top of it in a misguided effort to maximize sales.

Teslerum

Yes, they even mentioned that they had some influence. But I mean the writer and art director of the game did european style dark fantasy before (both long time accompanies of Matsuno) with the afromentioned Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story for example.

So its not like it wasn’t their style before. This was never going to be Kitase/Nojima style regardless.

Last edited:
Yeah. And people can't put 2+2 together and not realize that this was the biggest factor for making this game, and they decided to slap a FF logo on top of it in a misguided effort to maximize sales.
Again, the series was already moving in that direction starting with Tactics and XII, but Square Enix brass put a stop to it to double down on appealing to idiot teenagers and adult babies. FF is making up for lost time.

Nautilus

Banned
Again, the series was already moving in that direction starting with Tactics and XII, but Square Enix brass put a stop to it to double down on appealing to idiot teenagers and adult babies. FF is making up for lost time.
Very mature of you this opinion of yours.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Yes, they did. It doesn't invalidate my point, though. We're talking about a team that loves dark medieval fantasy (many of its members either love or worked on Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story and FFT) wanting to make another dark medieval fantasy (ff16) after being inspired by plenty of currently popular dark medieval fantasy (GoT, Witcher, DS). It was the perfect window of opportunity to do it.

If it were 10 or 20 years ago, Square's top management would probably have forbid a main FF from going too dark under the fear of not being comercially viable. FF12 wanted to go into that direction. Versus 13 (and then 15) was meant to be quite dark too, filled with explicit blood, and that was a Nomura game. FF7:R already started experimenting with explicit curse words in a FF for the first time (and they were already there in the original, only filtered).

Square has been wanting to go into this direction for a long time, and the success of dark, adult fantasy storiess world-wide finally gave them the opportunity to do it.

EDIT: As a reminder, this is not the first time this franchise has changed drastically between releases. FF6 to FF7 caused a rift in the playerbase at the time, between those who wanted medieval fantasy vs. the trend to anime modern/futuristic settings. FF9 fairy-tale style was a contrast to Nomura's generation. FF12 came in with a completely different style compared to 10, not only artistically but narrative-wise. FF15's take on "realistic fantasy" was also complained about and considered "not-FF" by some.

And yet, the franchise has survived all this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom