• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: God Of War 3 ... a simpler and better time.

Roufianos

I need to replay it but I remember finding large stretches of it pretty boring. Maybe the amazing opening created unrealistic expectations.

Södy

Is there a Xenia Canary build that works well with this?
PS3 exclusive ;) But RPCS3 works fine with the OG GoW3 with upscaling.

I love the mechanics of GoW3 and the fluid gameplay but like the locations, etc. more in God of War 1.

Last edited:

CGNoire

PS3 exclusive ;) But RPCS3 works fine with the OG GoW3 with upscaling.

I love the mechanics of GoW3 and the fluid gameplay but like the locations, etc. more in God of War 1.
Hahah lol....yeah I meant RPCS3.

Is there a version I should use?

I agree with ya on GOW1.

Lokaum D+

God of war 1 2 3 are way better and funnier to play than 2018 and Ragnarok, Sony should Remake these games.

kyussman

Sony is in love with remaster/remake shit but won't rereleases one of the great all time trilogies.
With the amount of stuff they would have to remove to meet their shitty modern standards I'm glad they haven't touched them tbh.Some things are best left alone.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
With the amount of stuff they would have to remove to meet their shitty modern standards I'm glad they haven't touched them tbh.Some things are best left alone.
Yeah... if it is to be made by some purple haired baby inc type of group the game wont pass the opening credits.

Killjoy-NL

GOW needed a drastic change.

The older games were amazing, but the gameplay became stale and archaic.

If people hold dear to the old days, just buy a cheap old system and re-experience the 'good old days'.
Let the rest move on along with the times.

Nostalgia will only hold back progression.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
God of war 1 2 3 are way better and funnier to play than 2018 and Ragnarok, Sony should Remake these games.

And inject them with Sweet Baby juice?

No Way Friday GIF

Even though if I enjoyed the nordic ones (valhalla quite more than 8), I would take the greek ones any time, no discussion. CALLIOPEEEEE
God Of War Dogs GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Shtof

Old guys on an old forum thinks old games are better.

Not to throw spite at anyone, I'm an old guy too.
But it would be a bit boring if God of War stayed the same for 15+ years.
The franchise would probably be a lot deader than it is right now as well.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
GOW needed a drastic change.

The older games were amazing, but the gameplay became stale and archaic.

If people hold dear to the old days, just buy a cheap old system and re-experience the 'good old days'.
Let the rest move on along with the times.

Nostalgia will only hold back progression.
It was never progression, it was a complete changing, they are totally different games in the same genre sharing the name for the sake of branding, and is fine that you and a lot people liked, but calling progression is stretching. It would be the same as saying that resident evil 7/8 is a progression of the third person shooter that resident evil 5/6 were.

And progression can be for the worse or for the better, and in my opinion is that it was for the worse in every single way since the franchise dont interest me anymore and after only two games apparently dosent interest a lot of people either since the second game was not too well received by a lot of fans of the first. Cant say anything about Ragnarok though since I didnt play and dont intend too after the reviews and opinions I saw.

But original GoW took a lot of progressively good games to finally present a dud, new modern GoW took only two apparently. Yes the game sold well because it road the success of the first one but is not by all means a universally liked game.

Modern is not always better, old is not always worst, simples as that.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Old guys on an old forum thinks old games are better.

Not to throw spite at anyone, I'm an old guy too.
But it would be a bit boring if God of War stayed the same for 15+ years.
The franchise would probably be a lot deader than it is right now as well.
It didnt need to stay the same.. it didnt need to completely change... and yes old games can be better, new ones can be better either ... all new movies are better ? All new music ? .. completely strawman argument my man

Killjoy-NL

It was never progression, it was a complete changing, they are totally different games in the same genre sharing the name for the sake of branding, and is fine that you and a lot people liked, but calling progression is stretching. It would be the same as saying that resident evil 7/8 is a progression of the third person shooter that resident evil 5/6 were.

And progression can be for the worse or for the better, and in my opinion is that it was for the worse in every single way since the franchise dont interest me anymore and after only two games apparently dosent interest a lot of people either since the second game was not too well received by a lot of fans of the first. Cant say anything about Ragnarok though since I didnt play and dont intend too after the reviews and opinions I saw.

But original GoW took a lot of progressively good games to finally present a dud, new modern GoW took only two apparently. Yes the game sold well because it road the success of the first one but is not by all means a universally liked game.

Modern is not always better, old is not always worst, simples as that.
Progression of the franchise.

It became stale. A fresh wind can push the franchise forward, instead of cause a gradual decline.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Agreed. Original trilogy is fantastic. I finished GOW3 seven times. Never played the remaster at 60pfs though..

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Progression of the franchise.

It became stale. A fresh wind can push the franchise forward, instead of cause a gradual decline.
Yes I see people use Ascension as the example and turning point... but in 2013 sony alwso launched a little game called The Last of Us ... and I can see clearly Santa Monica watching their success and wanting to tap into that .. because I think GoW2018 has more influence from TLoU than that the original gow.

It was only one game that was not too well received ... maybe they could have launched another franchise and not called GoW .. and keeped the IP and original game for further use Instead of completely canned in search of the new trend, but it served them well and it sold well.. but as it seems it wont have too much legs.. maybe is time for another "progression"

stn

It was excellent. think I beat it for the first time in 2022. I do love the new games though even if they have some bloat/filler content. One of these days I'm going to go back and platinum every game in the franchise.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This has been my feeling as well. The newer God of War is a downgrade of the older ones. Just too much padding, and I think that’s a fault of pushing light RPG mechanics. Seems like any of these open games that build around RPG mechanics and crafting are chock full of padding.

mitch1971

GOW3 is a fantastic game from start to finish. GOW is a straight talking game, where as the new ones are just blah blah blah. Must DL the GOW3 remake someday.

Gonna be working on Ascension plat soon. Although it might have been a fatigue for the old formula at 2013, in 2024 it actually feels tighter and more fresh than most recent games.

boUV5yg.png
Ha I'm in the same boat as you. Ascension never clicked with me (maybe it was the change of combat mechanics). Need to go back and get the plat though.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
It was excellent. think I beat it for the first time in 2022. I do love the new games though even if they have some bloat/filler content. One of these days I'm going to go back and platinum every game in the franchise.
It just proves my point that is not old guys leaving of nostalgia... thats the most stupid argument ever.

Just yesterday I showed my kids the original Exorcist movie.. they loved and shitted their paints more than any other modern horror movie they saw recently.

Top Bottom