• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16’s Ben Starr would ‘jump at the chance’ to play Clive again

Final-Fantasy-16-11-1024x576.jpg

Speaking on the latest episode of the VGC Podcast, Starr said: “If anyone asked me to do Clive again, I would jump at the chance.

“I feel such a personal attachment to him, as I said, and so if someone said we would like Clive to be involved in whatever thing, I would go, ‘yes, please let me do it’ because I feel a responsibility to do that.”
GF02Zh4WYAA4xjA

Starr, a lifelong Final Fantasy fan, was a consistent presence at Final Fantasy-related events ahead of the game’s launch and has become a favourite of the Final Fantasy community.

“I have not been even remotely approached about Kingdom Hearts,” he said of the fellow Square Enix franchise which prominently features Final Fantasy characters alongside Disney ones.

If course he would. It's a paid job.
I, too, would do shit for money.
If there's one thing that you can't critique FF16 for is Ben Starr's performance as Clive. So maybe, just maybe, the dude is really passionate about this specific role and wants to do more with Clive (besides getting that paycheck from Square).

Ofc I might be wrong though... 🙃

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

The best he could hope for is a new Dissidia game. That is if they even decide to dub it.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

Somehow double posted when I was trying to edit.

Either way I don’t think expect a FF16 - 2 anytime soon so yeah better hope he shows up in spin offs.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

FFXVI is my most disappointing game I've played in a longgg time, but this guy did great as Clive. One of the few positives I would say about the game..IMHO he deserved to win best performance at the game awards.

SJRB

Gold Member
Cool, I'll let my uncle know. He's a janitor at Square Enix and could probably pull some strings.

Loved his performance. Maybe he can play Cid in future installments from now on? Wouldn’t mind hearing him again in FFXVII and onwards, but maybe not in the starring role. He could do the villain next time, for example. Hopefully he keeps a good relationship with Square-Enix and other companies hire him.

RagnarokIV

All the performances were amazing. I’d really love to see all the characters again, but ultimately I know it’s for the best if we don’t. Unnecessary sequels have ruined RoboCop, Alien, Terminator, Metal Gear and countless other series.
Their stories were wonderfully told, and beautifully performed.
Thank you to everyone on that game, it rekindled my love for games.
<closes Final Fantasy book>
Tear.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This game needs to hit ps+ already, so I can get around to maybe finishing it. Maybe when the DLC hits. Isn’t that what happened with Horizon?

Fbh

Wouldn't mind seeing him in more Square games, either as Clive or someone else.

As many issues as I had with the game I thought the voice acting and dialogue was a massive step above the average JRPG.
It was the first JRPG in a while I found really enjoyable with English voices, usually I default to Japanese because not understanding the language makes the cringe anime writing more tolerable.

Doom85

If there's one thing that you can't critique FF16 for is Ben Starr's performance as Clive. So maybe, just maybe, the dude is really passionate about this specific role and wants to do more with Clive (besides getting that paycheck from Square).

Ofc I might be wrong though... 🙃

Actually, I thought he was good but not amazing. It would have been Cid‘s VA who should have been nominated for Best Performance IMHO. Though I admit I might be biased since Clive was just an average character to me, while Cid was the only interesting person in XVI to me.

Also, no, the one thing you can’t criticize XVI for is its music. It wasn’t best of year for me, and I would say I preferred VII Remake’s music over it still, but it was still pretty great, certainly better than the nothingburger that was XV’s OST (as in that game’s own music, no XV, you don’t get a free pass for letting me listen to the IX OST while in the car!)

I don’t mind Clive appearing again…..in things like a supporting role in a Kingdom Hearts game or something. Really hope they have moved on from XVI for good already, who knows, maybe they’ll let me down yet again with XVII, but at least a new entry offers hope. Right now, the VII Remake trilogy is carrying modern FF hard for me.

Madflavor

Clive easily could've been the best FF protagonist we've ever had, if only he had a well written and compelling story to bounce off of. Because the voice acting was fantastic, and the actual character himself is extremely likeable and badass. The Prologue all the way up until the Find The Flame part, is where the character went through the best development. After that he peters out. Problem is his best moments happen in the first 20% of the game.

Shin-Ra

My favourite line in FFXVI is when you scratch Torgal as Clive and he says “you like that don’t you” in the doofiest voice.

That’s healing.

Last edited:

Elios83

The guy clearly wants to work, hopefully he finds another role since there won't be another game with Clive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom