• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7: NFT Trading Cards Coming from Square Enix

nikolino840

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/goods/ff7_artcard/

Square Enix has announced that it will be releasing a set of Final Fantasy VII trading cards that will include NFTs.

The collection, which is called Final Fantasy VII Anniversary Art Museum: Digital Card Plus, consists of 207 cards.

Each pack, which costs ¥440 ($3.30), contains six physical trading cards as well as one ‘digital exchange card’.

This can then be redeemed for an NFT version of a card. Square Enix says it’s possible to get an NFT version of any of the 207 physical cards.
NFTs are unique non-interchangeable units of data stored on a blockchain (a form of digital ledger), which effectively allow users to buy and sell digital products like in-game items or artwork.

Much like the previously announced Digital Plus Edition action figure of Cloud Strife, which will also come with an NFT version of the figure, those who buy the cards and want to redeem their digital one will have to create an account with NFT platform Enjin and download their Enjin Wallet app.

Square Enix notes that “there is no upper limit” to the number of NFT cards that can be redeemed, and that they can’t yet be transferred or resold to someone else.

It also adds that should the Enjin service ever terminate, “it is possible that you will not be able to view or use the digital card in the future”.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...g-a-set-of-final-fantasy-7-nft-trading-cards/

Mephisto40

SecondhandTediousHake-size_restricted.gif

Raven77

No different than printed cards. It's a way to assign rarity to a digital item. The same way rarity has to do with how many of that physical card is printed.

The world is not ending.

Trading cards. I fell into that trap years and years ago. I got 3ring binders full of cards that have not seen the light of day in over 20 years. They got to be worth millions by now.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

Davevil

No different than printed cards. It's a way to assign rarity to a digital item. The same way rarity has to do with how many of that physical card is printed.

The world is not ending.
It also adds that should the Enjin service ever terminate, “it is possible that you will not be able to view or use the digital card in the future”.

No different except that your physical cards don't magically disappear

Raven77

That would be an extreme case, just like a house flood destroying your physical collection (this happened to me), or losing them, someone stealing them, etc. etc.

If Enjin were to terminate, someone else would step in to take over, or it would fork into a different service.

There's always a risk, physical or digital. I would argue digital items are safer than physical.

Dynasty8

This company is so out of touch. To think SquareSOFT used to be my favorite developer ever years ago. Now I'm skeptical about everything that comes from them.

A trading card you can't sell at this time, forced scarcity, if company goes under will make nfts worthless and unredeemable.
Is this what people are clamoring for? I still haven't seen a good use for nfts yet in gaming.

The world is not ending

NO, IT IS NOT the same.

The concept of "rarity" doesn't exists in the digital world because there are no copies, when you copy and paste something on your PC you're creating another original.

Digital bites are conceptually and logically identical when copy and pasted.

This NFT trash adds a made up concept of "rarity" because the "good" itself is always the original one, what people buy with NFT is not the object is the abstract concept of uniqueness for that said good.

And to add to all of this nonsense this shit doesn't even work outside the Blockchain (crypto network) the NFT was created.

Searching for uniqueness in digital goods is as dumb as trying to find uniqueness in grains of salt.... Is dumb and ineffective.

It's just a scam to fish dumb tech illiterate people.

Last edited:

Raven77

NO, IT IS NOT the same.

The concept of "rarity" doesn't exists in the digital world because there are no copies, when you copy and paste something on your PC you're creating another original.

Digital bites are conceptually and logically identical when copy and pasted.

This NFT trash adds a made up concept of "rarity" because the "good" itself is always the original one, what people buy with NFT is not the object is the abstract concept of uniqueness for that said good.

And to add to all of this nonsense this shit doesn't even work outside the Blockchain (crypto network) the NFT was created.

Searching for uniqueness in digital goods is as dumb as trying to find uniqueness in grains of salt.... Is dumb and ineffective.

It's just a scam to fish dumb tech illiterate people.

Kind of like deciding how rare a card is by choosing to print a certain number? It's the same game uses to rip off the consumer, but it's being done digitally. I'm a long, LONG time trading card game player. If you want to see something truly gross check out what Wizards of the Coast has been doing with magic these past few years... $250 per pack anyone???

$250 Magic packs

Last edited:

Power Pro

Fuck NFTs so much...at the very least they're selling trading cards? I mean, at least there is a physical good associated with this garbage, but my god...don't these companies see how evil they come across with these schemes? They are basically trying to get money for nothing more and more, and it drives me crazy.

Kind of like deciding how rare a card is by choosing to print a certain number? It's the same game uses to rip off the consumer, but it's being done digitally. I'm a long, LONG time trading card game player. If you want to see something truly gross check out what Wizards of the Coast has been doing with magic these past few years... $250 per pack anyone???

$250 Magic packs
Again.

NO ITS NOT.

it's way worse.

The cards have a physical limitations of quantity.

There's no physical limitations to data, like I have said, when you copy data you make another ORIGINAL.

Nfts are the receipt and nothing more, just think about it, rarity of recept is dumb AF the "rarity" you are talking about is of the good itself and as I've explained it DOES NOT EXISTS for digital data.

NFT is just a bunch people agreeing to make believe that there's "rarity" when the fact is that there's not.

Last edited:
After the failure of games like Marvel Avengers, Forspoken and Babylon Falls, seems like SquareEnix has finally found the solution to all their problems. NFT’s!!! They are saved now!!! Things can only go up from here.

Fuz

Banned

Also, they're physical.

Raven77

Again.

NO ITS NOT.

it's way worse.

The cards have a physical limitations of quantity.

There's no physical limitations to data, like I have said, when you copy data you make another ORIGINAL.

Nfts are the receipt and nothing more, just think about it, rarity of recept is dumb AF the "rarity" you are talking about is of the good itself and as I've explained it DOES NOT EXISTS for digital data.

NFT is just a bunch people agreeing to make believe that there's "rarity" when the fact is that there's not.

The rarity is tied to the Blockchain. You cannot just "copy" an NFT, that is one of the main reasons they exist in the first place.

Look, I agree that it's DUMB, in 90% of it's use cases. But I also feel it isn't much different that physical cards which really have no feasible limit. Magic COULD print several tens of trillions of cards a year if they wanted to. But this is part of the scam. They only print a certain amount to make people spend more money.

For example. The new Lord of the Rings magic set has a card The One Ring. They are printing a single alternate art version that is ONLY in $100 Collectors Packs.

Is that any better than NFT's. No THEY BOTH SUCK. 😕

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Imagine spending money on a digital picture that you could’ve just taken a screen shot of- all so you can brag to others about what a dumbass you are

Top Bottom