• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Alchemy

I'm enjoying the game, but the dialogue is sooooooooooooooo bad. The VO certainly isn't helping either, but I burst into laughter almost anytime someone talks.

Exentryk

Also, while story arc/pacing matter to me most, W2's combat was leaden and highly repetitive, while all recent console FFs (really from X-2 on) have impressed me on that front (as I said previously, the real high point of type 0). I'd say Duscae's combat, unfinished and unpolished though it was, was far more engaging than anything in W2. I'm hopeful they've really improved this aspect for 3, because it would be a shame to have some of the awesome looking monster encounters undermined by uninspired combat.

I haven't played the old Witcher games, and am basically going off that 35 min gameplay trailer for W3 which has me really excited for the story. With XV, even though there is good potential, I'd hate for it to end up having a random God that becomes the main villian in the last 5 mins of the game. And since SE loves using the datalog in the FNC games, I'm really hoping XV doesn't rely on it at all. Tell the story and explain the mythos via cutscenes, locations, characters etc. Don't just shove everything in the datalog. Infact, don't have a datalog at all.

Regarding combat, XV's demo system needs some work. It needs to be more responsive. The encounter design needs work. The animations need to be cancellable. The game still has a lot more time, and the battle system is still 50%, so I am hopeful some of these things will be addressed. Add on that a decent gambit system for AI characters, and this combat system will most definitely blow away W3's combat. For now though, I dunno. W3's system seems simple, but at least the focus of the team there is to make it fluid and responsive. I think W2's combat got a lot of fan feedback about it being unresponsive, and dodge roll friendly. So as long as they can make it responsive, even a simple system can be enjoyed by increasing the difficulty.

All that's to say that I think it too early to make any informed judgements about the relative merits of W3 and XV. But I'm anticipating enjoying both, and I do think they'll end making for some very interesting contrasts

Agreed. Also, we're way off topic right now lol.

My gaming time has been significantly lessened as of late, due to a family member's need for assistance and my own fatigue, but I hope to start it tomorrow and get it beaten during the week I have it for. I can extend it, though, so long as nobody places a hold.

Rosur

I'm enjoying the game, but the dialogue is sooooooooooooooo bad. The VO certainly isn't helping either, but I burst into laughter almost anytime someone talks.

Any Japanese audio + English subtitles option, as have noticed it not being that great?

(...many fine and sensible points...)

... Also, we're way off topic right now lol.

Agreed on almost all points (don't really care about dodge cancel) and yes, a bit off the rails!

I haven't finished chapter 8 in Type 0, but I'm fully expecting some out of left field BS before all is said and done.

Geg

The sad part about the dub is that there are a few good performances buried in there. Cid, Arecia, and Trey stick out in particular to me. Maybe a few others if I rack my brain for it. It's just too bad nearly everyone else is so awful and it seems like the voice director was actively working against what makes a good dub. Watching through the Japanese cutscenes yesterday, I was shocked by how often it seems Cinque's voice actress was told to just copy the tone and inflection of her Japanese counterpart regardless of how stupid and unnatural it sounded in English.

On another note, I don't think this was explained in either of my playthroughs:
What the hell does when nine and nine meet nine mean? I assume it's some kind of metaphor for the the Crystals losing their balance/coming under control of a single nation but I don't understand how

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My first ever playthrough of this game. I'm enjoying it so far, but last night lost about 30 min. I'm to the point where I have a bit over a day of free time until the next mission, and I left the school and went to the closest town and got a mission to go to a cave and get some fabric or something. Got to the cave and wiped on the end boss.

It's hard to manage your team (switch in and out), and do potions all in real time. By the time I could get to the potion menu my guy was dead.

My first ever playthrough of this game. I'm enjoying it so far, but last night lost about 30 min. I'm to the point where I have a bit over a day of free time until the next mission, and I left the school and went to the closest town and got a mission to go to a cave and get some fabric or something. Got to the cave and wiped on the end boss.

It's hard to manage your team (switch in and out), and do potions all in real time. By the time I could get to the potion menu my guy was dead.
Potion is definitely the item you want to keep on the quick sot, navigating the menu every time in the middle of battle is really hard.

Uuggh, how come I can't finish off the lvl boss with my Trey? He's just sitting there..
What? What boss?

Lol, stupid me. Chp. 3
mech

Oh, just keep dodging and learn to time your shot when he does that "quick dive" attack on you (be sure to always keep the lock-on to trigger a break sight). You get free damage afterwards.

And if you mean at the end of the battle
then you can't finish him off because he runs away in the cutscene =X

Cornbread78

Oh, just keep dodging and learn to time your shot when he does that "quick dive" attack on you (be sure to always keep the lock-on to trigger a break sight). You get free damage afterwards.

And if you mean at the end of the battle
then you can't finish him off because he runs away in the cutscene =X

Dammit I reset it back use after 5+mins of constantly shooting him and nothing happened I reset it..

One thing i noticed from using everyone is that there isnt really a weak character. Everyone is good.

Not going to lie though, Deuce and Cinque are hard to get used to.

Yeah, I almost never used those two. Everyone else I was cool with.

Just finished the game last night. Definitely loved the ending. Still don't understand the extra videos in the Crystarium though.

Oh god, I'm super wrong right now, sorry.

I'm thinking of the chapter 2 boss =P

Chapter 3 boss is Brionac right? The big mech.

You gotta wait to fight him. Hide in the back until he starts throwing the smaller stuff at you, then lock-on to that stuff and shoot them, this will stun him eventually. This will start to lower his level.

And after the battle,
you will have another one against someone else where you can either stall for time or just die, the game won't give you a game over.

I summoned Shiva and wrecked him when he landed. XD
What is your go to team?

And what summons do you guys have?
I have every summon =P, my favorite to use is either Shiva,
Bahamut or Diabolos.

Controlling
Diabolos
for the first time is one of the coolest things of this game.

Oh god, I'm super wrong right now, sorry.

I'm thinking of the chapter 2 boss =P

Chapter 3 boss is Brionac right? The big mech.

You gotta wait to fight him. Hide in the back until he starts throwing the smaller stuff at you, then lock-on to that stuff and shoot them, this will stun him eventually. This will start to lower his level.

And after the battle,
you will have another one against someone else where you can either stall for time or just die, the game won't give you a game over.

I have every summon =P, my favorite to use is either Shiva,
Bahamut or Diabolos.

Controlling
Diabolos
for the first time is one of the coolest things of this game.

That makes more sense. I was like,
what ch.3 boss just runs away from you.
Also, Brionac was a bit of a pain when mixed with the AI.
Like, fuck, "Behold the power of Brionac" isn't an invitation to get instakilled stupid AI characters so step back.

That makes more sense. I was like,
what ch.3 boss just runs away from you.
Also, Brionac was a bit of a pain when mixed with the AI.
Like, fuck, "Behold the power of Brionac" isn't an invitation to get instakilled stupid AI characters so step back.

I completely forgot which chapters have which bosses already =X. I know 4 and the last boss...

But yeah, I messed up there, sorry =X

And yes, the AI is useless in that fight.

Blablurn

whats the deal with the boss in the first chapter?

after fighting him with odin he goes into his second form and throws bombs on me that kill me in an instant

whats the deal with the boss in the first chapter?

after fighting him with odin he goes into his second form and throws bombs on me that kill me in an instant

Dodge them

Lock on, dodge the attacks and attack when the lock on changes color, that will deal a lot of damage in an instant.

So, I started playing this game yesterday, and have it for at least another week. After playing for 4 hours, I'm on Chapter 3.2.

I don't find the story interesting, nor the characters, so I've been skipping cutscenes. I don't normally do this, but I just know the story isn't for me and that I won't remember it. Please don't hate me.

You know what, though? I'm really enjoying the combat. It may not be incredibly original or close to perfect, but it's fun. I like random encounters, and enjoy the missions. I HATE the strategical takeover missions, though, and am glad they're optional. The first one was shit and way too hard. Then again, strategy and RTS bore the shit out of me and Brutal Legend was almost ruined for me by its awful RTS mechanics.

I've been alternating leads and picking the golden highlighted team members. My entire team, though, is averaging between levels 12 and 16 already. It's because I've done so many random skirmishes (more than 50), and have done several five encounter skirmishes. The yellow and red one and two hitters are awesome, as well.

I really like the one with the ship, the one with the too big for her hammer, the guy who punches and the card guy. The one who goes to the cemetery at the start is also cool.

I'm still not sure if I'm playing it correctly, but I've hatched some Chocobos, have talked to lots of people with ! over their heads, and have done some mini-quests for people who want things. I don't think I've found an SO, though.

Shadowy people with weird names also keep replacing my team members in battle.

So, I started playing this game yesterday, and have it for at least another week. After playing for 4 hours, I'm on Chapter 3.2.

I don't find the story interesting, nor the characters, so I've been skipping cutscenes. I don't normally do this, but I just know the story isn't for me and that I won't remember it. Please don't hate me.

You know what, though? I'm really enjoying the combat. It may not be incredibly original or close to perfect, but it's fun. I like random encounters, and enjoy the missions. I HATE the strategical takeover missions, though, and am glad they're optional. The first one was shit and way too hard. Then again, strategy and RTS bore the shit out of me and Brutal Legend was almost ruined for me by its awful RTS mechanics.

I've been alternating leads and picking the golden highlighted team members. My entire team, though, is averaging between levels 12 and 16 already. It's because I've done so many random skirmishes (more than 50), and have done several five encounter skirmishes. The yellow and red one and two hitters are awesome, as well.

I really like the one with the ship, the one with the too big for her hammer, the guy who punches and the card guy. The one who goes to the cemetery at the start is also cool.

I'm still not sure if I'm playing it correctly, but I've hatched some Chocobos, have talked to lots of people with ! over their heads, and have done some mini-quests for people who want things. I don't think I've found an SO, though.

If you want an easy way to complete the RTS stuff just use Trey (bow guy) and use his charged shot on the enemy troops, it usually one-shots them.

And yeah, considering you're not interested in the story or the characters, then you're playing the game correctly I'd say =P

The shadowy people are the support (you are asked at the beginning of missions whether you want support or not, if you choose yes then those shadow people appear).

And SOs need to be activated first at the academy, there's an NPC with a blue symbol on top of his head that will ask if you want to activate the SOs, they are basically challenges that pop up when you're in a mission.

Dude, bro, no, man.

This is why skipping cut scenes is a bad idea. The Chocobo's are for traversing the world map, I'm sure you have a handle on that. SO's appear during the course of your standard missions, not the RTS sections. And they appear fairly frequently, If you're not rushing through each section they're bound to pop up. Note: if you haven't visited one of the NPC's in the sorcery and enabled it they won't show up.

Those would be SP Units. They replaced the multiplayer that was present in the PSP version. They appear when you accept backup prior to the start of the mission. Using them grants you SPP which can be redeemed for items, after they've been unlocked. In my experience, I've unlocked better weapons in the armory which I can purchase with gil; meaning I don't have to surrender two of my active team members to the computer which may or may not be helpful.

If you want an easy way to complete the RTS stuff just use Trey (bow guy) and use his charged shot on the enemy troops, it usually one-shots them.

And yeah, considering you're not interested in the story or the characters, then you're playing the game correctly I'd say =P

The shadowy people are the support (you are asked at the beginning of missions whether you want support or not, if you choose yes then those shadow people appear).

And SOs need to be activated first at the academy, there's an NPC with a blue symbol on top of his head that will ask if you want to activate the SOs, they are basically challenges that pop up when you're in a mission.

Dude, bro, no, man.

This is why skipping cut scenes is a bad idea. The Chocobo's are for traversing the world map, I'm sure you have a handle on that. SO's appear during the course of your standard missions, not the RTS sections. And they appear fairly frequently, If you're not rushing through each section they're bound to pop up. Note: if you haven't visited one of the NPC's in the sorcery and enabled it they won't show up.

Those would be SP Units. They replaced the multiplayer that was present in the PSP version. They appear when you accept backup prior to the start of the mission. Using them grants you SPP which can be redeemed for items, after they've been unlocked. In my experience, I've unlocked better weapons in the armory which I can purchase with gil; meaning I don't have to surrender two of my active team members to the computer which may or may not be helpful.

Thanks

I've been reading the tutorial text, and did say yes to both support and SOs. I just haven't really found an SO unless I've missed them.

I was just confused by the odd shadow support names.

Perhaps its only because Im in chp 2 but the arena combat simulation feels like they just tacked it on without making it as fun as it could be. I did 100+ enemies defeated but I just wish it would put bosses after every ten or so, or put some ranking mechanism or do something like I think Star Ocean Last Hope or Resonance of Fate did with arena battles.

Oh well, its a fast way to quickly get some ability points for some of my characters instead of directly replaying a lenghty missions.

Perhaps its only because Im in chp 2 but the arena combat simulation feels like they just tacked it on without making it as fun as it could be. I did 100+ enemies defeated but I just wish it would put bosses after every ten or so, or put some ranking mechanism or do something like I think Star Ocean Last Hope or Resonance of Fate did with arena battles.

Oh well, its a fast way to quickly get some ability points for some of my characters instead of directly replaying a lenghty missions.

The Arena is not an Arena in the typical way, it's just a training mode really.

Although I will agree that they could have made more with it (and I don't think an Arena is even that hard to make...).

Yeah it pretty much works as a training area only.
Oh, and farming some side quests too without having to leave town.

Z3M0G

I really want to get back into this and wrap it up... Axiom Verge knocked me out of it for a while but it's time to get back to it. But really, I just want to wrap it up so I can move onto something else... FFXIII:LR.

Been playing it so much finally near the end of chapter 3 I think. The second mission in this chapter is one of my favorite to replay. I love the closed corridor nature that makes it feel really fast paced (playing as Eight who already moves incredibly fast). First mission I even got S Rank on even.

Unfortunately I think Im way too overleveled as since mid chp 2, I easily take off more than a third of a bosses HP in one hit as Eight :/

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I'm about halfway through Chapter 2. At what point does this story start making sense?

Maybe I should have played XIII and it's sequels, because it seems to presume I know a lot of the backstory.

Enthus

I'm about halfway through Chapter 2. At what point does this story start making sense?

Maybe I should have played XIII and it's sequels, because it seems to presume I know a lot of the backstory.

Story has nothing to do with XIII or its sequels. Some background mythology is shared, but by chapter 2 that's hardly even mentioned.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to spend a ton of time grinding now, out of the blue. I thought I'd been playing the game properly -- even doing way more random battles than most people would, especially early on -- as I hit fifty before finishing chapter 2. However, the last part of the third chapter was pretty insane.

I had characters ranging from level 15-18 before reading that I had to get ready for a level 22 mission. I did some training, but figured I would go ahead and try to see how hard it was. I don't want to have to spend hours grinding after already taking things slowly.

The first part of the mission wasn't too bad, nor was the second. But I did lose a couple of characters. I probably could've avoided it.

But the mission kept dragging on, and some powerful foes/ambushes took out most of my team. Then, I only had a few left -- including no ranged characters. The enemies were level 22 and 23, and I could beat them, but the boss was level 47 and could seemingly only be hit with ranged attacks.

I was told to hide,
but there was really nowhere to go. The only way to avoid attack in the hallway by the robot's blade was to keep rolling.

It was mainly the final boss that was so shocking. I had to go back and use a previous save seven minutes prior, and re-do some of the encounters leading up to him. That left me with the bow guy.

The only way I was able to beat the boss,
after quite a few tries, was to keep rolling and continually fire arrows at it
. It wasn't fun, nor was it fair.

After that, it jumped to the next mission. The beginning of Chapter 4. I'm just about finished its first lengthy mission without too much trouble.

Any tips? Thoughts?

Brew124

I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to spend a ton of time grinding now, out of the blue. I thought I'd been playing the game properly -- even doing way more random battles than most people would, especially early on -- as I hit fifty before finishing chapter 2. However, the last part of the third chapter was pretty insane.

I had characters ranging from level 15-18 before reading that I had to get ready for a level 22 mission. I did some training, but figured I would go ahead and try to see how hard it was. I don't want to have to spend hours grinding after already taking things slowly.

The first part of the mission wasn't too bad, nor was the second. But I did lose a couple of characters. I probably could've avoided it.

But the mission kept dragging on, and some powerful foes/ambushes took out most of my team. Then, I only had a few left -- including no ranged characters. The enemies were level 22 and 23, and I could beat them, but the boss was level 47 and could seemingly only be hit with ranged attacks.

I was told to hide,
but there was really nowhere to go. The only way to avoid attack in the hallway by the robot's blade was to keep rolling.

It was mainly the final boss that was so shocking. I had to go back and use a previous save seven minutes prior, and re-do some of the encounters leading up to him. That left me with the bow guy.

After that, it jumped to the next mission. The beginning of Chapter 4. I'm just about finished its first lengthy mission without too much trouble.

Any tips? Thoughts?

If it's the boss I'm thinking of, there were little spinning magitek armor being shot at you that you had to shoot back at him/kill. After so many, the boss would lose a few levels and put his head down on the platform so you could smack him around. Do that a few times and he was pretty easy to beat.

The boss battle right after him you aren't meant to defeat. You just keep dodging for a few minutes and he eventually leaves. You can also have everyone die and it still moves into chapter 4.

So I don't need to learn what a l'cie and Fal'ci are?
l'Cie are "crystal warriors". The crystal chooses someone, gives them power and a mission, and bam, now you're a l'Cie and you need to complete your mission (It's the warrior of light stuff from the first few games).

Fal'Cie don't really matter here.

I was told to hide,

Any tips? Thoughts?

You can hide in the back (where you came from) and his arm can't reach you.

And then when he starts throwing things at you, lock on to them and shoot them back at him, you will stun him, and he'll lose a few levels.

That battle is actually pretty easy.

And the next one doesn't matter whether you live or not, you can either stall for time or just die.

If it's the boss I'm thinking of, there were little spinning magitek armor being shot at you that you had to shoot back at him/kill. After so many, the boss would lose a few levels and put his head down on the platform so you could smack him around. Do that a few times and he was pretty easy to beat.

The boss battle right after him you aren't meant to defeat. You just keep dodging for a few minutes and he eventually leaves. You can also have everyone die and it still moves into chapter 4.

See, I did shoot those, but they never went back at him - just exploded. Maybe my timing was bad? I thought that was what I'd need to do, but it never worked, so I just kept slowly taking his armor away with arrows, haha.

Everyone did die against the next boss, but it just sat there with the camera over them. I was worried, because there was no save point. I thought I'd have to defeat that boss again.

Should I be worried going forward? I'm wondering if I'm going to be screwed.

EDIT: I don't know how to add threelights' quote now, but I'll reply here: That's where I did hide, but even if I was in the far corner, he could still hit me.

Top Bottom