• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - Combat System Introduction

Exentryk

Kitase and team explained the new ATB tactical combat system of Final Fantasy VII Remake at E3 2019.

- Cloud attacks, dodges and blocks in real time
- ATB bars fill up over time and by standard attacks
- Can use tactical mode once ATB bar is full which stops time and lets Cloud plan his moves (like use abilities, spells, items, or issue commands to other party members)
- Can issue commands to other party members via L2/R2.
- Using items will use up an ATB bar
- Magic requires having a materia equipped
- Can switch between characters in real time via Up/Down buttons
- Enemies have a focus gauge which fills up as damage is dealt. Once full, enemies gets staggered and take higher damage

Exentryk

Yeah, I like the tactical mode option. And the fact that it's optional. So people that just want fast paced hack and slash can have their cake too, while the turn-based fans can enjoy a more slower paced and calculated approach.

Last edited:

wzy

It’s gotta be placeholder or something...

It's definitely some kind of medley that's new for FF7R. I'm sure I heard a version of Those Who Fight Further that should absolutely not exist in a good timeline but there's also Bombing Mission and some other shit in there. Pretty bad sign when the MIDI sequencer from 20 years ago sounds more dynamic and vibrant than a whole goddamn orchestra, but that's kind of how things are scored now. You're not supposed to notice the music.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What I like about it is there is no FFXV BS combat system that you have hold to attack or dodge which felt clunky and unsatisfying and tactical mode nice feature.

JimiNutz

Banned
They've done a fantastic job with this.

My experience with the entire Final Fantasy franchise amounts to about 6 hours playtime with the original FFVII on PS1 back in the late 90s. I just couldn't enjoy the turn based combat and dropped it.

I've tried a few turn based systems since (Pokemon, Paper Mario, South Park) and I find them all boring. This game actually looks like something I can play and may end up being the first JRPG and Final Fantasy game that I play for a significant amount of time.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Yeah, I like the tactical mode option. And the fact that it's optional. So people that just want fast paced hack and slash can have their cake too, while the turn-based fans can enjoy a more slower paced and calculated approach.
It sounds awesome. Action-based combat for basic attacks/combos/dodging combined with some “real time with pause” menu-based system for using spells and specials. Plus a system where you can break an enemy’s defense like in XIII.

Orenji Neko

It looks good. As for “turn based”, only FF 1, 2, 3, and 10 are actually such. The rest are active time but still command based. What I have seen of FFVII Remake seems to really bridge the action and the commands much, much better and it looks far more engaging than FFXV’s sloppy fights.

I’d even go so far to say that if this system turns out as good as it looks, it makes an excellent template for FF going forward, much like FFIV did all the way up to IX. (Obviously with tweaks here and there to suit the character growth and ability system variations, etc)

sublimit

Banned
Like i said in the other thread the combat looks much more tactical and interesting now but the in-combat pointless chatter annoys me.

Mista

Banned
As a TB fan, I admit that what I saw was good. Im a sucker for anything FF apart from that utter garbage FFXV: tactical espionage action

shark sandwich

Like i said in the other thread the combat looks much more tactical and interesting now but the in-combat pointless chatter annoys me.
Having recently played Tales of Vesperia and XC2:Torna, FFVII-R’s battle chatter seems subtle and understated in comparison.

TLZ

Banned
Dare I say, this actually feels like the right evolution from the very old turn based style. I like the freedom and the tactical aspect of it, that still feels turn based.

Looks super pretty. If they can break their habit of making really bad real time combat systems, that will be very exciting.

I honestly can't tell from watching if this will be bad or not, but there's hope.

Myths

I Don’t mind the padding to access a sub-menu for tactical purposes, it’s the good kind of padding 😎

shark sandwich

This combat looks really fun. It seems like a mix of turn based with Crisis core.
My favorite JRPGs are the ones that aren’t pure action-based, but rather they mix elements of real-time and turn-based/menu-based.

E.g. Xenoblade series and Final Fantasy XII/XIII/XIV

So needless to say I’m super excited for this :)

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Kitase and team explained the new ATB tactical combat system of Final Fantasy VII Remake at E3 2019.

- Cloud attacks, dodges and blocks in real time
- ATB bars fill up over time and by standard attacks
- Can use tactical mode once ATB bar is full which stops time and lets Cloud plan his moves (like use abilities, spells, items, or issue commands to other party members)
- Can issue commands to other party members via L2/R2.
- Using items will use up an ATB bar
- Magic requires having a materia equipped
- Can switch between characters in real time via Up/Down buttons
- Enemies have a focus gauge which fills up as damage is dealt. Once full, enemies gets staggered and take higher damage

Excellent analysis :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Hype over 9999 x 15 = Omnislash

nNkgQ7Y.gif

Top Bottom