• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Final Fantasy VI Remake Would Take 20 Years, Speculates Kitase; Would be Bigger than Final Fantasy VII Remake Project

Re-read the statement again. I said it can speed up the process.
I know what you're saying. Epic Games have always made excellent progress for content creation with their Unreal Engine iterations, but there is no magic button. There's a lot of yall on this message board that totally overlooks how much work goes on behind the scenes for these games. You can download the same tools that Square Enix is using and just get a general idea of what it takes to build this stuff, it's dumb hard and extremely time consuming. Let's use that Infiltrator demo as an example, you need artists to make concept work, next you need artists to model the meshes, after that you have to optimize and fit it into the hardware, then you need artists to place all of those meshes together inside the game world, then you need artists to make all the sounds, then you need people to place all of those sounds inside the game world, now you need a scene so we have to animate, next we need people to script all that animation work including the visual effects, audio bytes ect.

This is just to give you a rough idea from experience, go download the Unreal Engine and try it out. I'm not sure what their lighting model is like these days, but I remember making UT maps back in the day doing all nighters just to literally light the maps with hundreds and hundreds of light placements to get that visual fidelity players expected.

EruditeHobo

I really don't want them to touch FFVI. Call me a FF purist, but SE would find some way to "modernize" and sully it up.

Agreed. FF7 is one thing, but 6 in particular has a more specific fantasy vibe that is IMO pretty incongruent with modern JRPG storytelling. Imagine what they'd do with the subtle, playful opera scene in a modern remake? No thanks.

And it absolutely would be a bigger job than FF7R... it's a number of main characters with individual stories, for one thing, not just one big story with essentially 1 main character. That's the much more difficult remake to do.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I still find it baffling people are interpreting his comment at face value and actually getting triggered by it. He said this casually whilst walking in Paris and being interviewed about FF7 and being pressed about remaking FF6 out of the blue. lol Clearly its an enmourmous undertaking and probably bigger than all 3 FF7R games, 14-15 main party members, many kingdoms, 3 huge continents, towns, cities, dungeons, the Esper World, the World of Ruin....

Kitase knows this is not something the company can take on having just released FF16 soon FF7R-2 and now doing FF7R-3, pre-planning underway for FF17, FF9 Remake, possible FF10 Remake, KH4, DQ12, NieR etc... Whilst 20 years is a throwaway comment he's basically saying it's a huge project, it's going to take a very long time if you want it to AAA PS6 visual standards. So don't count on it as we've got our hands full.

Last edited:

DeathGuise

I would like to see more Sonic Mania type remakes of certain games.

I like the whole 3D-2D thing as the sprite format at least allows them to keep the same style as those original titles.

lol GOD DAMN! I though you guys loved FFVI?
I do. Which is why I don't want them to remake it.

Squaresoft is dead. SquareEnix is a completely different company. And they've demonstrated with their patchwork abomination of what we diplomatically call "the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII" that they don't understand what makes the old Squaresoft games amazing.

I'm not against remakes. I'm against remakes being done by people who don't understand why the originals were good. The Resident Evil 4 remake is a perfect example of a remake done well. The Demon's Souls remake is a perfect example of a remake done terribly.

A common rebuttal is the sentiment of "why do you care if they make a remake? Even if it sucks, you still have the original." And that's a perfectly valid point. I'm grateful for that, but here's the thing. I would actually like a remake, but only if it was done right. And the very second a remake is done poorly, any hope of a future amendment or a refresh done correctly is gone. Square Enix is exceedingly hit or miss with their remakes. Hell even Capcom is and they're arguably the best. RE2 and RE4 were incredible. But RE3 was awful.

Another thing that gets me thinking is I'm much more interested in new games from this new Square than I am of them remaking games that... quite frankly they never made. Again, Square is such in name only. I want them to pour all their effort into Final Fantasy XVI and XVII, honestly.

And finally, even more so than VII, the sensibilities and flavor of Final Fantasy VI is from a different time, and a different world. You would never be able to remake it without a bunch of fucking retards and fucking suits coming in and saying "Uhhh we have to change this, and uh... Celes should save Locke, and Terra should be black, and also trans and in a fucking wheelchair."

I'm GLAD it would take them 20 years. That means it will never happen. Good. Leave the legends the fuck alone.

I do. Which is why I don't want them to remake it.

Squaresoft is dead. SquareEnix is a completely different company. And they've demonstrated with their patchwork abomination of what we diplomatically call "the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII" that they don't understand what makes the old Squaresoft games amazing.

This. It's never been technical limitations for SE, they've always been ahead of the curve.

It's creative bankruptcy.

The series' identity has been missing for almost two decades, now.

Better get started then
I am not against them making the "FF6 Saga". As in just make multiple games out of it. I know they can't make it in one release, but there is enough content to make a career out of it. Hell they did FF13 three times, as bad as it were. Might as well do the same for an actual GOOD game.

Top Bottom