• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade gets surprise patch that removed Tifa clevage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madflavor

Wasn't Casca believed to be 16 or 17 in the famous Eclipse scene? Better change your profile image, don't want to be confused for a
iu
, just to be safe.

No she was 18-19 during the Eclipse, and even if she wasn't, you're comparing a very dark fantasy story aimed toward adults, to a fantasy story aimed at a wider and younger age group.

I could keep going on about how retarded it is for you to compare a 14 year old's cleavage to The Eclipse, in order to attempt a gotcha moment, but I'll end it here.

Pejo

No she was 18-19 during the Eclipse, and even if she wasn't, you're comparing a very dark fantasy story aimed toward adults, to a fantasy story aimed at a wider and younger age group.

I could keep going on about how retarded it is for you to compare a 14 year old's cleavage to The Eclipse, in order to attempt a gotcha moment, but I'll end it here.
Huh it's like context is important and arbitrary factors should be left out the conversation regarding on whether or not censorship should be acceptable...

how dare you try to rob me of my 'gotcha moment'

Madflavor

Huh it's like context is important and arbitrary factors should be left out the conversation regarding on whether or not censorship should be acceptable...

how dare you try to rob me of my 'gotcha moment'

I think they should've left it alone instead of making the change. But the change is made. Nothing we can do about that now, and bunch of 30/40 year olds complaining to Square Enix online about wanting them to give the 14 year old her cleavage back is not a good look. Hence pick your battles.

You want to fight this battle in a meaningful way? Buy Stellar Blade when it comes out.

Pejo

I think they should've left it alone instead of making the change. But the change is made. Nothing we can do about that now, and bunch of 30/40 year olds complaining to Square Enix online about wanting them to give the 14 year old her cleavage back is not a good look. Hence pick your battles.

You want to fight this battle in a meaningful way? Buy Stellar Blade when it comes out.
Hey if you want to bend over and let corps do whatever they want to you, I won't applaud it, but I won't deny your stance to not care. But reducing this down to "oh no it's a minor's tits, everybody that is angry about the concept of censorship is into little girls", I won't just let that slide. For me it's a consumer rights issue, not an issue of fictional tits. I don't know how you could look at either image in the OP and be like "ohhh yea baby, that's the stuff" regardless of character age. It's such a stupid unnecessary change. To top of it off, S-E didn't even announce they were doing it, they just said "bug fixes lol" (and from reports it actually runs worse on Deck now - I can't confirm that though).

violence

I just looked up the age of consent in Japan. It’s one year lower than many European countries. What is this, the middle ages?

*runs back to America*

Last edited:

Neff

Bottom line, she’s 14 in that flashback.

I mean let's not misunderstand that Japanese games can get unusually creepy by Western standards, they certainly can, I'm more concerned about an entertainment company terrified of being called out for a completely innocent and harmless costume design (which they obviously didn't have a problem with initially) and kowtowing to an increasingly demanding collective of attention-seeking, virtue-signalling assholes before they've even started foaming at the mouth.

Would have been nice for Square-Enix to take a stand by just doing nothing, but I guess they have a lot on the line with this one.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mean, this change was obviously made to more closely align Remake with Rebirth. Eventually, we'll have a "complete" version of the game, so these sorts of inconsistencies matter. Why did they change it in Rebirth, though? Agreed it was a little weird, but it's also weird it's been like that for years without having been censored before now, I guess.

If it bothers you, at least it's possible to download and launch older versions of games on Steam.

Madflavor

I mean let's not misunderstand that Japanese games can get unusually creepy by Western standards, they certainly can, I'm more concerned about an entertainment company terrified of being called out for a completely innocent and harmless costume design (which they obviously didn't have a problem with initially) and kowtowing to an increasingly demanding collective of attention-seeking, virtue-signalling assholes before they've even started foaming at the mouth.

Would have been nice for Square-Enix to take a stand by just doing nothing, but I guess they have a lot on the line with this one.

They covered up her cleavage in Rebirth probably to be mindful of not sexualizing a minor, in order to adhere to Western sensibilities, and then made the patch update in Remake to match the flashback. This kind of censorship has existed for decades, one example is the bumping up Rikki’s age in the Western translation of FFX. Age of consent is where Japanese devs can at times get spooked by when it comes to translating their games for the West. This is fairly common.

The bigger issue would be censoring an adult Tifa, which judging by that Costa De Sol clip, they clearly haven’t done. So I can’t honestly say I’m upset by any of this. We have no concrete reason to believe Square Enix are going “woke” and are going to start covering up and uglifying their women. There was the not so subtle implication that Cloud wanted to sniff Tifa’s panties in Nibelheim, and Tifa’s giant boobage on full display in a swimsuit. I think people can relax.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I don't care about seeing a tiny bit more skin.
But I hate that they had a design they thought looked good and then lazily slapped some extra black on it for no reason.

This actually does bother me. Minor, but was it really needed? No.
Yes, now its more accurate to what she actually says.

nikolino840

I just looked up the age of consent in Japan. It’s one year lower than many European countries. What is this, the middle ages?

*runs back to America*
In italy 16..i know that recently in jp are trying to put 16 instead of 13..i dont know if the gov have said yes...anyway you don't find magazines with dvds in Europe with 16 years old models in bikini but there's still magazines with junior idols in jp (sometimes they put under arrest some publishers tho)

Raonak

Banned
Considering her age in the flashback, this obviously done to combat any potential controversy.
They made the change in rebirth, and then synchorised the changes for Remake Integrade.

A fully sensable change.

They're clearly not censoring adult tifa.

I think some are just missing the point. Censorship is a shitty thing to do, and it doesn't matter the content or context. It just sucks to see Japanese companies bending the knee to woke ideology. Why censor retro-actively, unless it's about politics. These little alterations are nothing, just wait until they change something more substantial. Complain or don't, but we're in an age of mindless alteration based on which way the wind blows. It's retarded.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I think some are just missing the point. Censorship is a shitty thing to do, and it doesn't matter the content or context. It just sucks to see Japanese companies bending the knee to woke ideology. Why censor retro-actively, unless it's about politics. These little alterations are nothing, just wait until they change something more substantial. Complain or don't, but we're in an age of mindless alteration based on which way the wind blows. It's retarded.

You are talking about an underage girl...

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I honestly don't mind the change in a teen Tifa - I'm just worried of Sweet Baby Inc. doing their thing and ruining the original content in terms of dialogue and characterization. The last thing I want is to hear the female cast complaining about the patriarchy whenever Cloud gives an order.

Ailike

Just out of curiosity, could a resident weeb tell us what the Japanese line was/is? I think the original can give a lot of context. Not that I give a shit either way, because some gaffers are bonkers about this stuff, but its interesting.

Sakura

Just out of curiosity, could a resident weeb tell us what the Japanese line was/is? I think the original can give a lot of context. Not that I give a shit either way, because some gaffers are bonkers about this stuff, but its interesting.
The Japanese just said I don't like the sky in the original. There is no steel sky reference.

Futaleufu

I don't have it in me for another 'GAF handwaving censorship' thread, but godspeed to those that don't support post-release censorship garbage.

The worse case I've ever seen was in Shank, where the developer stealthly changed/censored all cutscenes in the game because "we have changed since the release of the game and no longer hold the same values"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom