• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Shahed

I feel like Chaos makes far and away the best sense for your Monk.

Hashmal's a tricky one, since it gives some really high-quality White Magick to your Knight *or* your Monk.

Everyone's got loads of offensive options in this game but the more efficiently you can keep your HP/buffs up using your full party's MP pool the better.
Oh yeah Chaos is awesome on Monk. Holy, Protecga and Shellga? Yes please. I have 2 Monks, with Penelo being the other and also a Black Mage. Gave her Chaos and Zodiark. Basch I accidentally made Monk instead of Uhlan, so I figured I'd still give Penelo the Monk stuff

I wish more classic FF abilities had been implemented as Techniks. Libra, steal, and poach are staples, but the rest are so esoteric, it's too much work to get anything out of them.

I wish more classic FF abilities had been implemented as Techniks. Libra, steal, and poach are staples, but the rest are so esoteric, it's too much work to get anything out of them.

I think even a small amount of truly unique-to-the-job abilities and/or truly unique-to-the-character abilities would go a long way in FFXII:TZA, yeah. At least the Quickenings are extremely pretty.

Something like FFT's Galaxy Stop would be so fucking cool as an FFXII limit break. Stopping time in FFXII for ten seconds would be HUGE and look super cool.

Cess007

I got to the final level like 5 or 6 days ago and I just lost all interest. I guess eventually I'll beat the final boss

Funny thing. This has happened to me with a lot of RPGs: Chrono Trigger, FF9, FF10, FF13, StarOcean 3, etc; but not with this. As soon as I reached the last part on Sunday, I couldn't stop until I beat the game.

SkylineRKR

I got to the final level like 5 or 6 days ago and I just lost all interest. I guess eventually I'll beat the final boss

The final level is doesn't take much time and has awesome scenes throughout. The final bosses are excellent, as is the ending. I wish I tackled them at level 50 or so and then reload to grind all high end stuff and hunts. I was far too powerful for them,

I think NG+ is shit though. Level 90 start and thats it. I don't see the fun in that tbh.

Ludens

Banned
That 97, 88, 86 method works. I did it twice. Spawns the chest in the room while you're there. I first play to savepoint with reks, kill the 3 above and make a new save. Then i play to the abyssal room on my regular save, and clean it up. I use my mage with diamond armlet as he doesn't hurt himself. Then zone out and in, exit to Dash, load reks, hit myself 3 times and cure 8 ish times initiating 97,88,86. Then quit to menu and load Pharos abyssal save. Hit myself once, 1 cure and grab trango.
I found the problem, I couldn't do it because in the room there was another chest to loot, once I looted it, the trick worked.

The final level is doesn't take much time and has awesome scenes throughout. The final bosses are excellent, as is the ending. I wish I tackled them at level 50 or so and then reload to grind all high end stuff and hunts. I was far too powerful for them,

I think NG+ is shit though. Level 90 start and thats it. I don't see the fun in that tbh.
Can you change jobs in NG+?

I've stopped playing 15 days ago because I reached a point where you arrive to
Archadia and you had to go collect some weird tokens or currency to get to Cid's labs.
Every time I try to start playing again I get afraid that I'll be bored and start to hate the game because of that requirement.

So how bad will that questline be, before the plot goes anywhere forward?

Archadia and you had to go collect some weird tokens or currency to get to Cid's labs.
Every time I try to start playing again I get afraid that I'll be bored and start to hate the game because of that requirement.

You only need to make 3 matches to move the storyline forward. Couple minutes, tops.

If you want to be able to get into the rest of Archades later though... it'll take a bit more work

Caim

You don't need all of them since doing so unlocks the Grand Arcade and that is part of the cockatrice sidequest.

I think you only need 3 chops in this version to proceed with the game and once finish the next area you're pretty much done with Archades.

Holmes

Souleater, Gil Toss, 1,000 Needles, Traveler and Revive are all abilities from classic Final Fantasy games. And Shades of Black is similar to using the Wonder Wand from FFV.

Eusis

Oh great, NOW I find out that going for Ninja Swords 1 is a trap. What the fuck is wrong with this game that it decides to do something like this, nearly every other Quickening is to get Extra for your Job but not something no other Job has anyway.

EDIT: Ok, following up on that: it seems I have a save before that but it's like 10 hours ago (back before heading to Jahara, up to the Paramina Rift. Maybe that can be all done very quickly especially as I had been screwing around and going hunts, but I'd kind of not want to do that over especially as I have my base covered for Yagyu Darkblade & Mesa.

Oh shit I just made Ashe a Uhlan, got Penelo back and realized she is a Uhlan too. Is that really bad? Is that going to make a platinum significantly longer?

Meowster

I miss this game and the world of Ivalice so much right now. 😢 Wish I hadn't plowed through the game now but I had such a blast doing it. Maybe I'll finish up my playthrough of Tactics and start another playthrough of Tactics Advance.

Eusis

Oh great, NOW I find out that going for Ninja Swords 1 is a trap. What the fuck is wrong with this game that it decides to do something like this, nearly every other Quickening is to get Extra for your Job but not something no other Job has anyway.

EDIT: Ok, following up on that: it seems I have a save before that but it's like 10 hours ago (back before heading to Jahara, up to the Paramina Rift. Maybe that can be all done very quickly especially as I had been screwing around and going hunts, but I'd kind of not want to do that over especially as I have my base covered for Yagyu Darkblade & Mesa.
Oh, actually: which is better to grab? Iga or Koga? I'm inclined to go Koga due to the higher value but I have no idea whether Earth or Water would be more useful in the long run, nevermind if some other weapon supplements that elemental better.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As I play through the game I really want to try new classes and combos in a new playthrough. I think I can beat this all at an even more under-leveled state.

Also, I just discovered the haste/berserk combo on my Bushi/Uhlan Basch and goddamn is it gamebreaking. I just did it on a boss and the fight finished before it even began.

I don't even know where to find those Ninja Swords. I just unlocked the ones I found as I found them.

Oh, actually: which is better to grab? Iga or Koga? I'm inclined to go Koga due to the higher value but I have no idea whether Earth or Water would be more useful in the long run, nevermind if some other weapon supplements that elemental better.
Doesn't matter too much... Both are probably the best endgame weapons in the game versus enemies of those elements, or at least within single digit margins of, say, Masamune I + Genji Glove (I did some theory-crafting number-crunching a couple weeks back in this thread).

But neither element is all that important. Between the NS1 weapons and the NS4 weapon, there's mostly just a handful of enemies like wolves or imps that are weak to either. I liked Iga for the mother bomb in Salikawood... But I wouldn't really call any of the situations I used either in as paramount. In theory you can get Iga earlier in Zertinan Caverns I guess (1% from a Bogey). If I had to guess I'd say there are probably more earth-weak monsters (lots of flyers but also wolves, imps, etc) but a SHI with Iga and a MCN with Aqua Shot + Arcturus are pretty nice for that Salikawood bomb.

From what I've read, if you have to make the choice between Iga or Koga, people generally like the one that does Earth elemental damage more because there are no Earth spells in the game your other characters can use. So your options with Earth are more limited than with Water.

Though I don't think I ever ran into an issue where that choice mattered, eventually your Black Mage learns Scathe which is non-elemental and you can just go nuts on anything that is otherwise strong to magick damage.

Tanis

The most common advice is to grab Ninja Swords 1, 4, and the Koga Blade(earth one). Personally I never used any of them except Yagyu Darkblade & Mesa.

I'm sure someone could come up with a strategy to kill an earth weak or water weak hunt at a low level with either the Iga Blade or Koga Blade, but honestly if you just play the story you'll get to the point where you get the two Ninja 4 blades and forget about the rest.

Ludens

Banned
Can you tell me how to get Holy? Because I already completed Ridorana, but I have no idea on how get to level 1 again.

Anyway the thing I'm hating about this game is the fact they moved the location of some spells, and you can't purchase them anymore but you need to go in a dungeon to retrieve them. At least give me an alternative way to get them, like paying 100k gil from a merchant, instead of forcing me to enter a dungeon again.

Mendrox

To be honest... It doesn't really matter at all. You think too much about that. The only quickening that I would recommend is the Yagyu Darkblade for Yiazmat. Everything else though... just look what you want.

MartyStu

I think even a small amount of truly unique-to-the-job abilities and/or truly unique-to-the-character abilities would go a long way in FFXII:TZA, yeah. At least the Quickenings are extremely pretty.

Something like FFT's Galaxy Stop would be so fucking cool as an FFXII limit break. Stopping time in FFXII for ten seconds would be HUGE and look super cool.

2 words: Blue Magic.

To this day, STILL my biggest disappointment with this game. It would have fit so well it hurts.

Balphon

What order should I get the espers in? Just started raining in Giza for the first time.

Adrammelech is the easiest optional one so start there. Zalera isn't that difficult if you can get to him. Cuchulainn is challenging early so you may want to wait on him.

For the rest you'll need to progress further.

They're both really good elemental weapons, honestly. Shikari's basically the only job class with truly difficult Quickening choices all on its own (though, of course, many *combined* job classes result in difficult choices).

Adrammelech is the easiest optional one so start there. Zalera isn't that difficult if you can get to him. Cuchulainn is challenging early so you may want to wait on him.

For the rest you'll need to progress further.

Got Zalera right now. Pretty easy aside from his Death magic taking out my main team when he had 1% HP :(

Cuchulainn took me down really fast. Any tips?

Balphon

For Cuchulainn you mainly just need to be able to survive the HP drain, which can be hard to do without some combination of bubble and strong cures.

If you can manage that it's pretty straightforward: kill the flans first and equip black belts for disablega. An esper final attack or quickening chain should help with clearing out the flans, they stop spawning after you kill a few handfuls of them.

Nauren

Word to the wise, if you have Seitengrat (or any bow for that matter), unequip Lightning arrows before fighting Tyrant. I was going crazy trying to figure out why I wasn't doing any damage....

Nohar

Iga and Koga blade get! Goodbye axes, those wonderful blades and their high combo rates took your spotlight. Berserk Fran (under Haste status) is demolishing everyone in her path. It is becoming hard to not use her now, she is almost always in the leading team.

SkylineRKR

I beat those 2 fucks in the caverns. They didn't even drop scales lol.

These guys are the hardest enemies in the game, though I still didn't start Trial yet. But as far as story mode goes.

They're def. harder than Yiazmat. They don't take as long surely, but they hit harder and their status attacks are nasty. It seems you absolutely need 2 ribbons. The ones I fought were level 90, which is a good 20 levels above me. I put niho+ remedy on them. And just battled it out with one white mage in the back. I guess fuck Mithuna, because I'm not going to farm these for just a gun. Perhaps you can Death or Break them or w/e, didn't try.

I beat those 2 fucks in the caverns. They didn't even drop scales lol.

These guys are the hardest enemies in the game, though I still didn't start Trial yet. But as far as story mode goes.

They're def. harder than Yiazmat. They don't take as long surely, but they hit harder and their status attacks are nasty. It seems you absolutely need 2 ribbons. The ones I fought were level 90, which is a good 20 levels above me. I put niho+ remedy on them. And just battled it out with one white mage in the back. I guess fuck Mithuna, because I'm not going to farm these for just a gun. Perhaps you can Death or Break them or w/e, didn't try.

Farming Ribbons for your whole party off LV99 Red Chocobos is honestly 100% worth it, even if it isn't headgear you'll want to wear 100% of the time.

Shahed

Farming Ribbons for your whole party off LV99 Red Chocobos is honestly 100% worth it, even if it isn't headgear you'll want to wear 100% of the time.
How long would that take? Never tried the Lv 99 Chocobo. I just stole two Ribbons from Trial 49 and called it a day

You only need to make 3 matches to move the storyline forward. Couple minutes, tops.

If you want to be able to get into the rest of Archades later though... it'll take a bit more work

Alright, thanks!

I can't figure out this Draklor lab place, and its giving me a headache because everything looks the same lol fuck this game

How long would that take? Never tried the Lv 99 Chocobo. I just stole two Ribbons from Trial 49 and called it a day

i feel like the higher a given trial's number it is, the more incredibly annoying it is to do it *multiple* times to get multiple copies of whatever items you can get from it

First espers are down. When does the medallion side-quest open up far enough for me to get Chaos? No one has showed up at Old Dalan's yet.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
First espers are down. When does the medallion side-quest open up far enough for me to get Chaos? No one has showed up at Old Dalan's yet.

Pretty sure you have to get to Archades before you can do all of it, though some pieces are definitely available sooner than that.

Lightning

Banned
Unless I'm mistaken you need to have spoken to the dude in Nabreus Deadlands for him to show up and you need access to Arcades to get the 2nd dude to show up.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Is trial mode possible to complete without the fourth party member (Reddas?)

Probably preferable without him, actually. You probably should be leveled and geared to the hilt for at least those final 10 trials. In the mid-game, I had Larsa with me for AGES, and while his levels easily kept pace, he was still getting one-shotted or two-shotted quite a bit by the time he was removed from my party. Kept on draining my resources by proccing a team-wide Cura or Curaga every time he got hit... which was all the time. I only just got Reddas and am not ready for the high trials, but I can't imagine he'll be able to support a post-game team at all.

Top Bottom