• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI |OT| Ifrit Bleeds We Can Kill It

Are you playing in Quality or Performance mode?

• Quality

Votes: 274 59.8%
  • Performance

Votes: 184 40.2%

• Total voters

Minsc

Gold Member
lol I get triggered just reading this. This is so on the money.

Reminds of the quest near the end that's like this:
Villager 1 - Old Man Thomas
"Hello there, traveler. I'm in a bit of a bind. I need to get a message to Mary, but I'm too old to make the trip myself. Could you help me? Mary lives just down the road. She'll know what to do next."

Villager 2 - Mary
"Oh, a message from Thomas, you say? Well, that's interesting. Could you do me a favor and take this to Henry? He should be at the market right now. He'll have more information for you."

Villager 3 - Henry
"Ah, Mary sent you? Wonderful. I actually need to get in touch with Sarah about this. She's usually at the riverbank around this time. Could you find her and let her know?"

Villager 4 - Sarah
"Henry sent you, did he? Of course, I expected as much. Please, could you relay a message to my brother, George? He's working at the blacksmith's shop. He'll be expecting you."

Villager 5 - George
"So, Sarah needs my help? Very well. But first, could you visit Claire at the bakery and tell her what's happening? She'll need to prepare something for us."

Villager 6 - Claire
"George sent you? I see. This is turning into quite the chain. Could you please inform Robert at the inn? He'll know what to do next."

Villager 7 - Robert
"A message from Claire, eh? Alright, this is getting interesting. Head over to Emily at the apothecary. She'll have the final piece of the puzzle."

Villager 8 - Emily
"Robert sent you? Excellent. Now, could you deliver this to Martin at the stables? He'll be waiting for you."

Villager 9 - Martin
"Emily sent you? Right, right. The last step. Could you please inform Lucy at the watchtower? She needs to know about this immediately."

Villager 10 - Lucy
"Martin sent you with this news? I see. Thank you. Now, I need you to go back and inform each person that their part is done. Start with Martin again and work your way back to Old Man Thomas."

Villager 1 - Old Man Thomas
"Ah, you've returned and everything is settled. Thank you for your patience and diligence, traveler. Here's a little something for your troubles. It may not be much, but you've certainly earned it."

Supreme bore building!

Yeah, there was a sense of disconnect for me with the power scale towards end game of Clive who can defeat gods and single handedly take down armies of hundreds with his abilities doing the weeding for the villages and being a little errand boy especially when there's such a sense of time to end everything.

But I will say not ALL of the story was the same, parts with Odin, almost all parts with Cid, and early on story in general were better / more interesting for me. A few of the more important side quests went a bit further even if they were predictable at times. And by no means am I saying here Rebirth is the answer, because I think how much Remake got put against XVI, and also how different Rebirth is in almost every way, that game too hasn't swept me off my feet either.

It's crazy that stuff like Tales of Arise has better written characters than mainstream Final Fantasy games these days, but oh well. All I'm really learning is I suppose I'm falling a bit out of love with the Final Fantasy series these days, compared to its past, which holds so much value / importance to me, with the music and characters/stories of those games.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm blocking you again. Go for it.
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's crazy that stuff like Tales of Arise has better written characters than mainstream Final Fantasy games these days, but oh well. All I'm really learning is I suppose I'm falling a bit out of love with the Final Fantasy series these days, compared to its past, which holds so much value / importance to me, with the music and characters/stories of those games.
They need better writers. And even then it's all about execution. Without that the story falls flat. Over time since the Enix deal gradually all the old talent that made Final Fantasy...Final Fantasy left to go elsewhere. Like you are watching a very old house become overgrown with vegetation and slowly fall apart to the point that even the floorboards start to buckle under pressure until they all snap and break.

So many things they could of explored to made XVI great and it all just gets dismissed and forgotten about after they use up their setpiece. Like a cheap play at the theatre.

At the end of the day if someone makes a story driven game and the story falls apart or just sucks then you don't have a game to continue playing anymore.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I’m still waiting for examples of these supposedly amazing stories in games that are so much better than FF16

I’m not claiming it’s perfect, but compared to the rest of the industry’s offerings it absolutely is a strong point

Last edited:
Top Bottom