• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Even the reviewer says it right in the beginning! This is an evolution of the character action genre, rather than the RPG one. It's a different genre! This isn't an RPG. And sure as heck isn't a traditional Final Fantasy RPG which was an turn or atb based party and menu driven JRPG with all the trappings that come with it. This is FF themed God of War with some devil may cry battle physics. But I guess modern gamers don't care, so Square's cynical bet was right.

Metnut

The reviews from the legitimate large review sites seem to reflect a metacritic score in the 92-93 range. Looks like there’s some review bombing here from woke activists.

Game looks great. Can’t wait to dig into this on Friday night after work.

Luigi Mario

Quick question if anyone knows, why is there a difference between the Metacritic and Opencritic scores? I looked and the same shit Eurogamer and other bad reviews are there as well but it's at a 91 on Opencritic.
Only 66 reviews on OpenCritic compared to now over 100 reviews on Metacritic. Also, certain review scores from websites like IGN are weighted more on Metacritic.

Last edited:

Fake

Eurogamer and Polygon should praise it because you only kill white people in this game
Will Smith Best Gif GIF

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Reviews looks like it'll be an excellent game for the genre it is. I really do miss classic turn based FF's so much. And I know there are games that still have this style, it goes without saying. But FF was the cream of the crop in this regard and I just don't enjoy these style games as much as the classics. But it is what it is, this is the direction they seem dead set on sticking to, so I'll just enjoy them for what they are and continue longing and awaiting future remakes.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No. This user is saying the game isn't an instant buy for them. It's a good score but it might not be omgwtfbbq good enough for them to drop the cash day one. And that's OK. They might play it later on, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
I dont care what others does but not buying because it not 90+ is stupid as hell. We have so many phenomenal games that are blow 90 in scores but not worth the buy because they are not 90+.

I'm sorry I find it incredibly stupid.
its-stupid-liz-lemon.gif

Last edited:
Reviews looks like it'll be an excellent game for the genre it is. I really do miss classic turn based FF's so much. And I know there are games that still have this style, it goes without saying. But FF was the cream of the crop in this regard and I just don't enjoy these style games as much as the classics. But it is what it is, this is the direction they seem dead set on sticking to, so I'll just enjoy them for what they are and continue longing and awaiting future remakes.
Yeah it looks like a very pretty hack and slash character action game. Nothing wrong with making those. But this is without a doubt, not an RPG, and certainly isn't a traditional menu, party, and atb driven JRPG. I could have even lived with the FF7Remake approach, which I still don't love, but at least they made a half assed attempt to be a JRPG. This doesn't even try. It's god of war/devil may cry with ff skins.

Nvzman

The fact that people continue to let review scores dictate their purchasing decisions is hysterical to me. I've played too many 90+ metacritic boring as fuck movie games to care anymore about reviewer scores, and some of my favorite games weren't even reviewed well.
This demo was awesome and got me to preorder the game, I'm hyped!

Lokaum D+

Even the reviewer says it right in the beginning! This is an evolution of the character action genre, rather than the RPG one. It's a different genre! This isn't an RPG. And sure as heck isn't a traditional Final Fantasy RPG which was an turn or atb based party and menu driven JRPG with all the trappings that come with it. This is FF themed God of War with some devil may cry battle physics. But I guess modern gamers don't care, so Square's cynical bet was right.
EZA Review

"Final Fantasy carries a long legacy, spanning more than 35 years, and after 15 mainline iterations and countless spinoffs, that legacy has been entrusted to the staff of Square Enix’s Creative Business Unit III. Helmed by the team largely responsible for the massive turnaround of Final Fantasy XIV, as well as some other big name industry veterans, Final Fantasy XVI boldly dares to defy series norms and forge a new path forward. The end result is the most satisfying single-player Final Fantasy in nearly two decades, full of spectacular combat, gripping narratives, massive environments, and epic music. Despite its outward appearance, this is no doubt a Final Fantasy game through and through"

" Within each of these regions are plenty of towns with numerous characters to meet, various side quests and shops, as well as hidden paths, treasures, and plenty of enemies to challenge in combat. It feels like a fully fleshed out world, one you’d expect of an RPG of this pedigree."

"Final Fantasy XVI is a phenomenal game, through and through. A marvelous battle system, incredible story and characters, a wondrous world full of exploration and intrigue, plenty of RPG tropes, and an outstanding soundtrack all highlight why Final Fantasy XVI is truly something special. The last few entries stumbled out of the gates, sowing some doubt about the future of the franchise. In stark contrast, Final Fantasy XVI rises to the occasion, restoring the lofty status the series once enjoyed and taking the franchise in a new direction while still honoring its legacy. In a year full of amazing games, Final Fantasy XVI emerges as a frontrunner."

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
He would be getting that big ass "evade" R1 prompt if the rings were in play, I think. Also, the timely attack ring makes pressing the square repeatedly do the magic/combo attacks, he's just hitting with the basic attack repeatedly.
And I see his health is way down. I played on story and normal last night and health rarely if ever moved when on story.

Fabieter

Yakuza always was a brawler and never scored as high as the turn based jrpg but by your logic it wasnt yakuza anymore? Guess what your logic is objectively wrong.

I dont care what others does but not buying because it not 90+ is stupid as hell. We have so many phenomenal games that are blow 90 in scores but not worth the buy because they are not 90+.

I'm sorry I find it incredibly stupid.
its-stupid-liz-lemon.gif
Maybe they aren't buying it because it's not 89+?? What does it matter? In this person's opinion it's not good enough for them to pay full price at launch.

Thabass

Yeah, kinda. At this point at least. As a black man that's 100% about diversity and all DEI programs because they 100% matter and are great for society.........................................when I see reviews like that, all I think of is..............

not like this GIF

Creators should have and need to have creative choices. Especially if it's content is dealing in fantasy and isn't historical at all.
Love this take. I agree, like I can understand it being a silly thing not to include colored people. It's a fantasy game after all, but they had vision and I'm glad they didn't compromise. I'm also someone who believes in diversity, but just to shoehorn it in isn't the ideal way in my opinion.

Yeah because action combat JRPGs doesn't exist AT ALL....../s
I was never a fan of those. Why does FF need to be that though? And even THOSE games, had a party, and menu driven combat to some degree without the turns. They often simplified the strategy involved too. But this? This is a straight up character action game, not an RPG. Even the reviewers have admitted this! The IGN one literally says, this is an evolution of the character action genre, not the RPG one. I mean, it is so wild to me looking at folks doing the mental gymnastics of trying to call this something that it isn't.

Roni

Gold Member
The new game in town seems to be take something the fan base likes away and sell it later for profit...

Madflavor

From my understanding, the difference between Metacritic and Opencritic, is that Metacritic weighs some of their reviews, whereas Opencritic counts them all equally. There is a 35 review gap between OC and MC right now, but even when MC was at 60 reviews the score was 88. Currently there is a 3 point difference between both sites, with MC at an 88 and OC at a 91. OC has Eurogamer's embarrassing 3/5 score, same as MC. But MC weighs Eurogamer a heavier review site than most, which is partly why the MC score was dragged down.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I was never a fan of those. Why does FF need to be that though? And even THOSE games, had a party, and menu driven combat to some degree without the turns. They often simplified the strategy involved too. But this? This is a straight up character action game, not an RPG. Even the reviewers have admitted this! The IGN one literally says, this is an evolution of the character action genre, not the RPG one. I mean, it is so wild to me looking at folks doing the mental gymnastics of trying to call this something that it isn't.

Who Let Nautilus' alt account in?

KH was called an RPG since the first game. These opinions simply hold no weight. Lots of other games with action element have been called as such. TALES OF franchise saying hello.
KH wasn't an RPG either. Tales games still had parties, and menu driven combat, even if there weren't turns involved. This game is a straight up character action game like god of war and devil may cry with some very light rpg elements thrown in and a FF themed skin. It is a far far cry from the traditional JPRG series it has been for most of it's celebrated history. This is a betrayal of that legacy to appeal to modern gamers and mass markets. And it looks like folks are gonna be just fine with that cynical decision.

Yakuza always was a brawler and never scored as high as the turn based jrpg but by your logic it wasnt yakuza anymore? Guess what your logic is objectively wrong.
It might be a fine spinoff, but it certainly wasn't a mainline traditional Yakuza game now was it? I have now issue with dirge of cerberus, or many of their FF themed spinoffs in other genres. But the main entries should be RPGs, not character action games. Even the IGN reviewer says it at the start, this game is an evolution of the character action genre (god of war, DMC) not the RPG one.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
KH wasn't an RPG either. Tales games still had parties, and menu driven combat, even if there weren't turns involved. This game is a straight up character action game like god of war and devil may cry with some very light rpg elements thrown in and a FF themed skin. It is a far far cry from the traditional JPRG series it has been for most of it's celebrated history. This is a betrayal of that legacy to appeal to modern gamers and mass markets. And it looks like folks are gonna be just fine with that cynical decision.
It might be a fine spinoff, but it certainly wasn't a mainline traditional Yakuza game now was it? I have now issue with dirge of cerberus, or many of their FF themed spinoffs in other genres. But the main entries should be RPGs, not character action games. Even the IGN reviewer says it at the start, this game is an evolution of the character action genre (god of war, DMC) not the RPG one.
cry baby GIF

Lokaum D+

by your logic Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, Elden Ring aren't RPGs either since those games don't have party, menu driven combat and any other bullshit u are talking about it, you are just another poor soul that thinks it knows what makes a RPG a RPG.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Like a dragon is a mainline game and it's fully jrpg, menu based with a three guys party system.

Danjin44

by your logic Souls games aren't RPGs either since we don't have party, menu driven combat and any other bullshit u are talking about it, you are just another poor soul that thinks it knows what makes a RPG a RPG.
Here is the killer, in Persona 3 FES you could also only control one character......I guess that game is not RPG either.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Darchaos

Ah Retardera, dont you ever stop to amaze me you fucks😂

Super disappointed that (as expected) the game is extremely white.....

Glad we still have enough reviewers brave enough to point this out, I know The Gamers™ are going to give them hell for it.

This one's a skip for me.

Last edited:
All of this is bad faith.

It's not SE fault that they suck. The disparity between good and bad players in this game is going to be pretty substantial.

Everyone needs to hear this.

Is it though? This is a basic character action game, like god of war or devil may cry, it's more button mashing than anything, and sure as hell isn't a traditional final fantasy rpg.

"Though Final Fantasy XVI is being positioned as an action-RPG, the latter half of that genre hybrid is severely overstated. "

I look at this, and go, yeah no kidding. Any actual fan of the RPG genre arguing in good faith, let alone the JRPG subgenre, would look at this game and deduce that in 30 seconds.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
please for the love of all things, I hope they don’t put diversity and gender equality as factors of reviewing a game.

Is it though? This is a basic character action game, like god of war or devil may cry, it's more button mashing than anything, and sure as hell isn't a traditional final fantasy rpg.

"Though Final Fantasy XVI is being positioned as an action-RPG, the latter half of that genre hybrid is severely overstated. "

I look at this, and go, yeah no kidding. Any actual fan of the RPG genre arguing in good faith, let alone the JRPG subgenre, would look at this game and deduce that in 30 seconds.
Oh hey look, it’s another “button mashing” troll who clearly didn’t play the demo through.

User removed from the thread from repeated trolling attempts.
For folks who are calling this an RPG. There are some honest reviews at least in this regard. This is a character action game. Not an RPG, and frankly, not even an action RPG, because I do play those as well. It sure as hell isn't a traditional final fantasy rpg with parties, lots of stats, menu driven combat, etc etc. I didn't love the FF& remake tendency towards action, but at least they tried to incorporate some JRPG stuff into the mechanics. this game isn't even trying, and honest reviewers are saying it plainly.

"Large parts of Final Fantasy XVI feel like they were designed more out of obligation than anything. It’s as if the developers wanted to make a pure character action game, but feared that it would be a drastic change that longtime fans couldn’t accept. "

"The more I played, the more I began to question why so little was engaging me outside of Eikon battles. Not too long into my journey, I’d find that a lot of my problems came back to one thing: shallow RPG hooks. Though Final Fantasy XVI is being positioned as an action-RPG, the latter half of that genre hybrid is severely overstated. There’s leveling up, stats, and a few equipment slots, but a lot of its systems are a placebo hiding an entirely restrictive approach to power. For instance, Clive has six stats, but look closely and you’ll realize that three of those aren’t really stats at all. Strength, for instance, is actually just Clive’s attack stat combined with an extra buff he’s getting from equipped gear. It’s smoke and mirrors that hides the fact that Clive’s power progression is fairly static from start to finish."

killatopak

Gold Member
Next thing you'll tell me TWEWY, Odin Sphere, Muramasa, Dragon's Dogma, Ys, Star Ocean, Radiata Stories and Persona 3 aren't either. If I'm without a party because it requires me to do so on optional content or story reasons it is suddenly not an RPG?

Please don't tell me you don't think Parasite Eve is an RPG.

Last edited:

Yes, it is. If you sit here and say that you can do what is shown in the video I posted, just mashing buttons then you are being purposefully disingenuous.

Danjin44

Next thing you'll tell me TWEWY, Odin Sphere, Muramasa, Dragon's Dogma, Ys, Star Ocean, Radiata Stories and Persona 3 aren't either. If I'm without a party because it requires me to do so on optional content or story reasons it is suddenly an not RPG?

Please don't tell me you don't think Parasite Eve is an RPG.
People like them only have shallow image what RPGs are thankfully devs stop listening people like them so we have interesting RPGs.

Gaelyon

There's no pure turn based main FF game since FFX more than 20 years ago. FFXI and FFXIV have both MMO/WoW combat style, FFXII has a Gambit automated combat system, FFXIII has stance based combat, FFXV and FFXVI are action RPG. If you really hate action RPG I guess Octopath Travellers is the deal.

Ar¢tos

I can't tell is sarcastic or not.....if actual serious post, are you telling me you wont play game unless 90+ score?
that-is-so-stupid-mad.gif
That's because he's a simpleton.
I, for one, will only acquire videogames with a 95+ metacritic, and I absolutely refuse to pay base price, I must pay twice or more!
giphy.webp

Top Bottom