• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire breaks out on plane on runway in Japan

Go_Ly_Dow

Looking at the explosion that's a miracle all have been evacuated.

Edit: 5/6 missing from the coast guard plane.

Last edited:
at that speed the plane is moving too fast to just be moving on a taxiway, so I'm guessing a runway incursion moments after the JL a350 had just touched down.

i'll wait for a video from blancolirio

nush

Gold Member
Means it would have been a plane on the runway outside of the normal schedule.
"There's not supposed to be a plane there at this time of day!" Airports don't work like that.

But it's likely that the coastguard plane was unfamiliar with the airport and was on the wrong runway/taxipath.

GHG

"There's not supposed to be a plane there at this time of day!" Airports don't work like that.

But it's likely that the coastguard plane was unfamiliar with the airport and was on the wrong runway/taxipath.

Possibly, but it will be a chaotic time for everyone, including ATC. That's what I'm suggesting rather than what you stated in quotes.

Everyone survived, which is nothing short of miraculous.

5/6 that were in the coastguard plane are unaccounted for.

Tams

qDrRmjW.jpg

Probably the coastguard pilot (the only one to survive) making a mistake.

Tams

Looking at the footage I have no idea how no one died.

Standards and regulation.

Complete evacuation in 90 seconds in 'perfect' conditions is required for certification.

This evacuation took longer, but, I assume for good reason, it took longer in this case as only three slides were deployed. That was still quick enough.

I do think that it being Japan helped. I shan't say who/where, but in some countries I could imagine this being a tragedy.

From pinned comment
Any audio prior to the incident was recorded in such bad quality that it's nearly impossible to extract clear communications from either side. JAL516 did receive a clearance to land from ATC, and so they did readback. The Coast Guard aircraft had been instructed to hold short of the runway at intersection C2.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Standards and regulation.

Complete evacuation in 90 seconds in 'perfect' conditions is required for certification.

This evacuation took longer, but, I assume for good reason, it took longer in this case as only three slides were deployed. That was still quick enough.

I do think that it being Japan helped. I shan't say who/where, but in some countries I could imagine this being a tragedy.

If this had happened in the US most of the passengers would have been trying to leave the plane with all of their luggage...

Last edited:

sono

^In that video he is saying that the coast guard dash-8 may have entered the runway without a clearance or misunderstood the controller. The Airbus smashed into the coastguard dash 8 in the airbus landing roll out.

It is amazing everyone on the airbus survived.

The captain of the dash 8 survived everyone else on the dash8 died.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
It’s crazy that this doesn’t happen more often, given how the video demonstrates how impossible it is to spot another aircraft at night, and how you can mishear a clearance

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If this had happened in the US most of the passengers would have been trying to leave the plane with all of their luggage...

Don't forget to A) film for tiktok as you're getting ready to go down the slide and B) to stop on the runway for a few selfies for insta.

If you're not too burnt out (or just burnt) then maybe go live and try and squeeze out a few tears.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It's difficult to see the coast guard plane too...which is troubling. My thoughts too are that it's possible although I can check LiveATC to debunk if not, crew of the coast guard plane may have known what was coming. Typically once you've got a heavy cleared for take-off, anyone taxiing behind will hear that from their own cabin. Imagine hearing that from the coast guard plane...with how close they were and in idle; there would have been zero time to respond. Nowhere even comparable to the mistake with Tenerife but the taxiing 747 at least had a moment to attempt to move before KLM was on top of them. Off topic but being an ATC controller is a super stressful job as anyone can imagine. This was Haneda too which is always super packed and busy.

sono

It’s crazy that this doesn’t happen more often,

There have been a lot of lessons learned out of The Tenerife Disaster (which occurred in low visibility) in regard to incorrect runway infringements. However, it seems, not enough to prevent this one..

(note: If you are of a sensitive disposition that video is also v distressing)

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Thing is with the A350 wing span, the coast guard plane assumed that it wasn't encroaching / affecting the runway but with the over hang of the wing obviously caught it.

Not trying to state the obvious, have to appreciate the size of the wing overhang.

GHG

Thing is with the A350 wing span, the coast guard plane assumed that it wasn't encroaching / affecting the runway but with the over hang of the wing obviously caught it.

Not trying to state the obvious, have to appreciate the size of the wing overhang.

Based on the damage it seems that the A350 went straight over the top of the coastguard plane which was on the runway positioned ready for take-off.

Everything so far points towards there being a misunderstanding of the ATC instructions by the coastguard plane.

Tams

As GHG GHG said, everything points to the Coastguard plane having been in the runway readying for take-off.

If it were at a holding point, then it wouldn't have been hit as holding points are obviously well beyond the wingspan of any aircraft that can use a given airport.

The Coastguard pilot has said that he thought he was cleared to enter the runway, which Haneda ATC dispute.

From the radio communications so far in public, it does sound like he was told to hold. And ATC would not give a plane clearance to enter the runway when an aircraft had already been given clearance to land.

Reactions: GHG

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everyone is pointing out facts but the group in the plane had one truth, escape the plane.

Top Bottom