• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s demolition of the Playstation is truly breathtaking.

XXL

THANK YOU FOR THE GOLD AND THE LAUGHS I AM 100% SERIOUS!!!
my man denzel GIF

Microsoft’s multi generation demolition of the Playstation is truly breathtaking.

Sony essentially failed to learn the lesson that destroyed Sega: You must be in America, but not OF America. Japan fights with brains, America fights with money.

One of the most basic principles of warfare is to not allow your opponent to dictate the terms of the battle. Nintendo has avoided this trap. But the power, price and release date of the Playstation is always defined EXPLICITLY IN RELATION TO the XBox.

Playstation was very successful in America, this caused them to continually shift their weight out of their traditional homebase of Japan into the US. Microsoft then began a multigenerational plan to destroy Playstation.

Microsoft, by forcing Sony to respond point for point with the Xbox, gradually forced Sony to price themselves out of the market of the average Japanese consumer. Japanese kids all have Switches, a rare few have PS5s. In the end, Sony is entirely on Microsoft’s territory, and Microsoft bought the entire relevant third party industry.

In the language of warfare, Microsoft lured Sony onto their own territory, let them lose Japan, and then cut the ground out from underneath them.

Sony is entirely reliant on its enemy for survival now. They have no hope of being relevant again in Japan. They pump out a few games a year, and they have a vague plan to sell these games to PC gamers who want to pay 500$ to play them a few months early? Lolololol

Full spectrum domination from Microsoft. Sony is truly doomed.
This may sound like a parody post, but I'm afraid there is some truth in it... I miss SEGA.

Microsoft started the PCification of consoles with the OG XBOX.

Sony tried to resist at first, PS2 was the last truly exotic console.

PS3 adopted a PC part with some customizations (RSX) and by the time they released the PS4 they even adopted a x86 CPU.

But hardware is not what bothers me the most (Cerny has done a pretty good job with customizations), it's the PCification of games that bothers me the most.

Almost every "console" game has to be a 200-hour long open world collectathon with tons of RPG elements. The type of game I really hated on PC (yeah, I was never a Bethesda guy).

I miss quirky, linear, smaller games. We had tons of them on the PS3 last time I checked.

I blame the huge RAM (it was an outlier back in 2013) and the multi-core general purpose CPU of the PS4 for the open world trend.

We all know that the future of home consoles (and PC) lies in the cloud. 200W machines won't lie in the living room in the future, maybe due to ESG demands (climate change agenda).

And since Microsoft dominates the cloud space with Azure, I think long-term wise they're in a better position than Sony.

Short-term wise Sony seems to be more successful than Microsoft.

The only true console ownership in the future will be offered by Nintendo. Because it's hybrid and low-wattage, ESG/BlackRock overlords won't mind it too much. And Nintendo will never stop making cute, quirky and less serious games, because that's their DNA and they're not willing to change it for some quick bucks.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This may sound like a parody post, but I'm afraid there is some truth in it... I miss SEGA.

PS3 adopted a PC part with some customizations (RSX) and by the time they released the PS4 they even adopted a x86 CPU.

But hardware is not what bothers me the most (Cerny has done a pretty good job with customizations), it's the PCification of games that bothers me the most.

Almost every "console" game has to be a 200-hour long open world collectathon with tons of RPG elements. The type of game I really hated on PC (yeah, I was never a Bethesda guy).

I miss quirky, linear, smaller games. We had tons of them on the PS3 last time I checked.

I blame the huge RAM (it was an outlier back in 2013) and the multi-core general purpose CPU of the PS4 for the open world trend.

We all know that the future of home consoles (and PC) lies in the cloud. 200W machines won't lie in the living room in the future, maybe due to ESG demands (climate change agenda).

And since Microsoft dominates the cloud space with Azure, I think long-term wise they're in a better position than Sony.

The only true console ownership in the future will be offered by Nintendo. Because it's hybrid and low-wattage, ESG/BlackRock overlords won't mind it too much. And Nintendo will never stop making cute, quirky and less serious games, because that's their DNA and they're not willing to change it for some quick bucks.
"We all know that the future of home consoles (and PC) lies in the cloud."

We do? Who are you talking to? Nobody believes that. There's not a single shred of evidence to support cloud gamings future as anything more than an option. Many companies have already failed to make a dent with cloud gaming. Including Ms.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

UuAPnV4.png

Sorry this is the only thing that came to mind .. One of them is Sony, the other is Microsoft.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Banned

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Think OP is taking the piss but I was amazed how Xbox dictated the cross play stance and shocked how PS didn't stand their ground and caved in being they had majority of the players.

Sonik

I know this is a joke post but I do agree with one point, Sony actually ruined Playstation by moving its HQ to California. They keep making dumber and dumber decisions ever since

Last edited:

Scotty W

Banned
I know this is a joke post but I do agree with one point, Sony actually ruined Playstation by moving its HQ to California. They keep making dumber and dumber decisions ever since
What is funny is that many people are saying they agree with individual points. There was even a thread on here the other day seriously maintaining that Sony is directionless. And yet all my points put together are somehow retarded…

But this thread has given me far too many laughs for me to be upset.

https%3A%2F%2Fmegaphone.imgix.net%2Fpodcasts%2F298d8904-9374-11ee-a23c-4f4000399354%2Fimage%2FSpotify-EricWeinstein.png%3Fixlib%3Drails-4.3.1%26max-w%3D3000%26max-h%3D3000%26fit%3Dcrop%26auto%3Dformat%2Ccompress

“The most commonly shared characteristic of billionaires that I have observed is their ability to maintain their essential belief in their correctness in the face of overwhelming opposition.”

I vindicabitur!!!

Sonik

What is funny is that many people are saying they agree with individual points. There was even a thread on here the other day seriously maintaining that Sony is directionless. And yet all my points put together are somehow retarded…

https%3A%2F%2Fmegaphone.imgix.net%2Fpodcasts%2F298d8904-9374-11ee-a23c-4f4000399354%2Fimage%2FSpotify-EricWeinstein.png%3Fixlib%3Drails-4.3.1%26max-w%3D3000%26max-h%3D3000%26fit%3Dcrop%26auto%3Dformat%2Ccompress

“The most commonly shared characteristic of billionaires that I have observed is their ability to maintain their essential belief in their correctness in the face of overwhelming opposition.”

I vindicabitur!!!

If you had said that Sony ruined itself by trying to copy Microsoft people would have agreed with you but you said it in a way that is just ridiculous especially given that Microsoft is pretty much done as far as consoles are concerned

Scotty W

Banned
If you had said that Sony ruined itself by trying to copy Microsoft people would have agreed with you but you said it in a way that is just ridiculous especially given that Microsoft is pretty much done as far as consoles are concerned
I agree with you and my original post.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

Blackrock owns shares in Nintendo and has a Japanese arm, too. No one is getting away from them. They own a stake in pretty much every major industry there is.

Lunarorbit

I vindicabitur!!!
Is that dr brules dad?!?

Top Bottom