• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

javac

Very nice. Yeah, the demo was what sold me too.

Yeah I've been listening to the soundtrack none stop since. Imported it as soon as I was done with the demo and I've never done that before! Game looks great! Anyone else enjoying the music in this game?

Chrom

Oh, and did anyone find that critical gif?

You know, I have no idea what gif you're talking about. I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Yeah I've been listening to the soundtrack none stop since. Imported it as soon as I was done with the demo and I've never done that before! Game looks great! Anyone else enjoying the music in this game?

The music is awesome, yeah.

ohlawd

Nah, Underdog is neato. On early levels +20 dodge is nothing to sneeze at.

By the time Donnel reaches lvl 15. he already has decent defense so he can tank stuff.

o.o

All the songs? I fear for DAT chapter and the potential feels you get.

I love those sparkly things on the ground. Really useful, especially on Lunatic! I also love that they seem to be random. Once in the demo, I got a few great tomes for myself. Pretty cool. So many ways to play a map for me.

If I am in love with FEA, will I love Shadow Dragon?

Probably not.

It kinda looks ugly, has some annoying sidequests requirements, lacks supports and basic characterization for most of the characters and is pretty bland among another things.

Though, New Mystery does fix some of that.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

I've been listening to it everyday since I got it lol. It's so good.

NeonZ

Shadow Dragon is very basic. It's a remake of the original FE, but they just didn't add enough to it in spite of modernizing some mechanics. It has decent map designs and all core mechanics of the series are there, but you won't have, say, support conversations, base conversations or anything to build up the character of party members after they've joined your army.

Basically the only character who always appear in story scenes is Marth and one or two npcs, with everyone else disappearing from the story after they join your army (besides the epilogues), aside from Caeda getting a bunch of events where she talks to enemies to make them join Marth's army. The remake also added some issues of its own, like having to lose members of your army to get to secret chapters and everyone being able to freely reclass before any chapters without any consequence.

Anyway, basically, if you can enjoy FE's core gameplay by itself, you likely will enjoy Shadow Dragon. If the characterization of your army is a necessary part of the game to you or you really enjoy some extra features of later games (like skills or a free map), you probably won't like it.

javac

I've been listening to it everyday since I got it lol. It's so good.

Yup, the good thing is I've kept the track-listing in Japanese so I don't even know which song is which! lol I just play it from the beginning to end and each time its soo amazing!

Wiseblade

I've always had a weak spot for Pegasus Knights, but Sumia... Doubling right off the bat really is the quickest way to my heart.

TWILT

Banned

As others have said, probably not. Shadow Dragon is by far the weakest Fire Emblem that's released overseas. I didn't even bother to finish it myself.

Yep, I can't stop listening to it myself. The soundtrack is sooooo good.

Uhg, unfortunately I can't pick this up until the 27th (No moneys).

If I were to buy it now, I'd have to overdraft and incur a $9 fee. I'm rather tempted, since my preferable online store (Best prices) generally sells out fast...like Luigi's Mansion 2 / Devil Survivor.

What to do...

Moonlight

Banned
Most definitely. The music is really phenomenal stuff.

And the transitions from map to battle music, oh man, spectacular.

ohlawd

Uhg, unfortunately I can't pick this up until the 27th (No moneys).

If I were to buy it now, I'd have to overdraft and incur a $9 fee. I'm rather tempted, since my preferable online store (Best prices) generally sells out fast...like Luigi's Mansion 2 / Devil Survivor.

What to do...

Wait it out mang.

All the PAL newbies plus the old regulars will still be here :3

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

*STAY AWAY FROM SHADOW DRAGON*

From a game with so much life and personality to a game so drab with no life and a personality of a brick: I don't think anyone would appreciate that kind of experience.

javac

It's also crazy that the soundtrack is like 94 songs. And its no fluff, each one is fully fledged and full of awesome!

I keep talking about the soundtrack, hope I'm not detracting the thread, I cant play the game yet because I'm nervous about my exams so I'm chilling to the music for now! :p

Link Man

Banned
So, I have an idea for a comic, but can't draw (sucks, I know).

Spoilers, just in case:

First panel has Nowi playing in a field of flowers.

Second panel zooms out a little, showing Pedobear in the shadows, watching her with a gleam in his eye.

Final panel zooms out even more, showing Chrom hiding in the bushes watching Pedobear, a gleam in his eye and cutlery in his hands.

Gvaz

Banned
Considering some of the comments you've made about this game, and perma-death and whatnot, you would probably hate Shadow Dragon.

The difference here is I can probably cheat the shit I don't like out of it, heh. So I wouldn't mind some aspects if I can edit my savefile to have a shitton of gold or something right off.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The difference here is I can probably cheat the shit I don't like out of it, heh. So I wouldn't mind some aspects if I can edit my savefile to have a shitton of gold or something right off.

It doesn't worth 'genuine' gameplay sessions, but if you can cheat it... hmmm, go for it I guess.

Out of all the Fire Emblems I have played, Shadow Dragon is perhaps the only one that I have no problem qualifying as soulless. The feeling of 'flat' was really strong with it, from the story, characters, music, graphics--all the usual stuff that are typically designed to make a player immersed.

*has nothing but Bronze weapons and a Fire tome*

ok.

It seems like in the FE universe all shop keepers have the same face too. Unless it is just one person with fearsome teleporting abilities.

Chrom

Are there any restrictions on supports I should know about before I go gung ho and click all of them?

None at all, other than a character can only achieve one S support per playthrough. After that, the rest of the S supports are locked.

Other than that, support away!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Are there any restrictions on supports I should know about before I go gung ho and click all of them?

Once you view an S between A and B, A can no longer view S supports from C D E F G.

If you are interested in collecting supports for later view, there's a trick that you can use to save S-support to the support viewer but you can still view all the S-support a character has.

Out of all the Fire Emblems I have played, Shadow Dragon is perhaps the only one that I have no problem qualifying as soulless. The feeling of 'flat' was really strong with it, from the story, characters, music, graphics--all the usual stuff that are typically designed to make a player immersed.

It seems like in the FE universe all shop keepers have the same face too. Unless it is just one person with fearsome teleporting abilities.

Shadow Dragon is pretty flat cause it was a straight port of the first NES game, especially story-wise. There were some gameplay changes to make it more modern, but they didn't really add onto the story.

You know all the shop keeps are Anna in disguise.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Shadow Dragon is pretty flat cause it was a straight port of the first NES game, especially story-wise. There were some gameplay changes to make it more modern, but they didn't really add onto the story.

I realized that. It's unfortunate that aside from graphics, which contributed pretty big on why I felt Shadow Dragon DS was soulless--and thus an 'upgrade' it is not IMO, they didn't add anything else.

Thank goodness FE:A returned on using drawn portraits instead of that abominable 3D characters.

Wiseblade

HANG ON!
Let me get this straight...

• No con/weight
  • Near unlimited supports
  • Branching classes
  • Customisable skills
  • Marriage and children
  • Sidequests
  • Trial maps(?)
  • DLC and Cameos

Is there anything this game doesn't have?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
HANG ON!
Let me get this straight...

• No con/weight
  • Branching classes
  • Customisable skills
  • Marriage and children
  • Sidequests
  • Trial maps(?)
  • DLC and Cameos

A milf character.

HANG ON!

• Let me get this straight...
  • No con/weight
  • Branching classes
  • Customisable skills
  • Marriage and children
  • Sidequests
  • Trial maps(?)
  • DLC and Cameos

Feet.

There are no trial maps (like FE6's).

It also doesn't have enough save slots.

ohlawd

This game doesn't have:

-different map objectives
-balance
-more than 10 good maps (this game has a lot of maps but they are mostly awful)

Top Bottom