• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch movie in the works + almost 1m Firewatch copies sold to date

What is Firewatch anymore?

I played the game recently after all the talk about it and just don't get why it got the praise it got. I just don't see it working out better as a movie either.
It's not just me then. This is one of those games where me and my girlfriend were so psyched from the trailers, set aside a day to play it, got really in the right mood, played all the way through it and just went 'eh' it left us completely cold and disappointed.

This sounds really interesting. The game itself is practically setup in a way that would benefit a movie being made from it. In fact, I don't see how they could fail at making one unless the director was completely incompetent

Great news about the sales. It's a great game.... It's probably one of the contrasting active [playing]/post [playing] games I've played.

What I mean is, it was awesome when I was in it. The ominous atmosphere was thrilling, and the anti-climatic ending I appreciate in the sort of sense of it being a lesson in reality and expectations. The ending fits... it makes sense. But it's disappointing in that moment.

For all that, it's a superb superb experience and one of the better games experiences I've played in a long time for as long as it lasts.

But it left me sort of broken and cold, and no desire to go through it again.

I loved the game and I'm happy for their success, but I'm not sure that a movie will work here...
Yeah... the lack of payoff and conclusion can work for a game, a book, even a drama.... where there are enough 'highs' through that you don't rely as much on it for the conclusion. But if the film was the same as the game, I'd probably leave a lot of people salty and unsatisfied lol.

I can appreciate in a first-person hours-longer game experience but as a movie I don't think average viewer would get the same appreciation.

NoPiece

I loved the game and I'm happy for their success, but I'm not sure that a movie will work here...

Totally agree, loved the game, but there wasn't much narrative meat there. Fine when you are in control and exploring, but not sure as a film.

1 million? This game outsold SOMA?

SOMA was $29, Firewatch was $19. I feel ~$20 is a psychological barrier to impulse purchases, so Firewatch got the pricing right.

Vintage

Totally agree, loved the game, but there wasn't much narrative meat there. Fine when you are in control and exploring, but not sure as a film.

The important design aspect of Firewatch is that it's in first person. It makes you feel like you are there, completely alone. You can take your time, observe the landscape, explore environments, nothing is rushing you. This idyllic pacing and sense of loneliness gives the game it's atmosphere. Now imagine that everything is cramped into 1,5 hours and It's not you who is alone, but you're just watching some dude go through woods. I just can't feel how it would keep it's personality.
Since the game's basically an interactive story, this interactivity is a big part of it. Just telling the story wouldn't make such an impact imo.

I remember a time we were excited by the prospect of a film adaptation. Now most of the gaming world's reaction is, "I wonder how badly Hollywood is going to fuck this up?"

PresetError

Neophyte
“Firewatch is a stunning accomplishment, a beautiful and heartbreaking piece of art,” said Calder. “I’m delighted that Sean and Jake are letting us ruin their perfect video game by turning it into a movie and/or TV show.

Wait, so they still don't know if they will adapt Firewatch into a movie or a TV show? It's been 4 years in the works and they still don't have a format for the script?

By the way, few games would be so easy to adapt to the big screen as Firewatch. It's all there in the game. The 3 act structure, the two main characters, the conflict, the unresolved sexual tension, the twists, the ending... It was basically already a perfect movie as it is. Also very cheap to make. But a TV show? Why?

jaysius

Banned
I do enjoy "the joy of exploration" walking sims, this game was really overhyped, slow and dull, even for that category of game. I really loved SOMA and didn't mind that game about the Moon games like Observation too.

The game is so slow paced, you could just make a movie about a guy doing Firewatch, not based on the game and not have the weight of the mad fanbois this game accrued.

Nico_D

It would make a good movie. The game was great, enjoyed it a lot. Shame about what happened to In the Valley of Gods.

xrnzaaas

SOMA was $29, Firewatch was $19. I feel ~$20 is a psychological barrier to impulse purchases, so Firewatch got the pricing right.

Not to mention SOMA is a sci-fi horror and that alone scared some people away (undeservedly of course, both games are great).

Last edited:
Top Bottom