• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First batch of Dark Tower images and plot details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
12323213254566.jpg
Here's our gunslinger.

Some set pictures complete with Dixie Pig:
http://gothamist.com/2016/07/07/dark_tower_nyc_dumbo.php#photo-4

Man in Black and general plot details:
Walter has ventured to the Dixie Pig in pursuit of a boy in our world named Jake (15-year-old Tom Taylor) who has a power known as “The Shine,” which can be harnessed to break down the trans-dimensional beams that keep the Tower standing strong. In this scene, he is dropping in on Richard Sayre (Jackie Earle Haley), a low man of high rank, who rules the Dixie Pig like the ambassador of an embassy of monstrosities.

Walter doesn’t think much of Sayre, but he’s actually happy to be here.

The existence of this boy has lit a fire inside The Man in Black. As The Dark Tower film starts, he’s actually rather… bored. Hanging out in another dimension at a place called Devar-toi, a Norman Rockwell-like neighborhood that keeps the captured psychics content until they can be enslaved to help blast at the Tower.

Roland details:
Standing on the horizon of this otherworldly landscape is Idris Elba’s Roland Deschain — The Gunslinger — a frontier version of a medieval knight who is thirsting for revenge and haunted by visions of a tower that is surrounded by a field of dusky pink roses. He doesn’t fully understand what it means. No one does.

“When we meet Roland he’s a bit lost,” says Elba, sitting in the sun during a break from one of the movie’s dungeon-like sets. “He’s been walking around for a long time, so he definitely feels like a man who’s… coiled.”

In the parlance of King’s books, Roland “has forgotten the face of his father.” “That’s a sense of, ‘You’ve forgotten your purpose,’” Elba says. At the start of the film, Roland is driven by rage, but deep down he is something else. “He’s a protector,” Elba says. He just needs something to reawaken that part of himself.

Off in the distance is his quarry: Matthew McConaughey’s Walter, a.k.a. The Man in Black, a charismatic warlock who decimated Mid-World, is responsible for destroying everyone Roland loved, and is looking for more worlds to end. Bringing down the Tower is one way to end them all at once.

An article talking about some overall changes:
King didn’t just sign off, he made his own modifications. “I took a pen and cut Roland’s dialogue to the bone,” the author says. “The less he says the better off, and why not? Idris Elba can act with his face. He’s terrific at it. He projects that sense of combined menace and security. [Roland] is the Western hero, the strong, silent type: ‘Yep,’ ‘Nope,’ and ‘Draw.’”

After that, King was ready to let the wheel roll. “All I said was, ‘Yeah, go ahead and go with it. This is an interesting way to attack the material.’”

The horn theory stuff has been confirmed.

Actually looks decent. Ka be willed.

Vire

Really wish this was a TV series on HBO or something instead. Don't think a movie will be enough to cover everything.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm hoping this is good and it seems they're making serious changes. I know people hate that but for this movie series to be succesful they will have to make huge changes and overhaul entire parts of the plot to make it on the big screen. Some parts of the story work as the written word and rely on that very aspect and if they were clever they would adapt that same kind of "story telling" to the visual medium and use it to the fullest. It seems like they are sort of doing that but we shall see, however if they are trying for a more straight up adaptation and just changing things here or there, its going to be a complete mess after the first couple movies as the books are as well. Its an entertaining mess but its a mess none the less.

Who is going to play Stephen King?

Really wish this was a TV series on HBO or something instead. Don't think a movie will be enough to cover everything.

To be fair, it sounds like they are not trying to cover everything, the plan is that if the movie is successful it will turn into a series.

The one article even mentions a couple characters who would definitely be showing up if a sequel gets made.

Simo

I'm hoping this is good and it seems they're making serious changes. I know people hate that but for this movie series to be succesful they will have to make huge changes and overhaul entire parts of the plot to make it on the big screen. Some parts of the story work as the written word and rely on that very aspect and if they were clever they would adapt that same kind of "story telling" to the visual medium and use it to the fullest. It seems like they are sort of doing that but we shall see, however if they are trying for a more straight up adaptation and just changing things here or there, its going to be a complete mess after the first couple movies as the books are as well. Its an entertaining mess but its a mess none the less.

Not only that but also
the movie is a sequel to the books.

There is only one answer!
Look up photos of Stephen King's son, Joe Hill

Simo

odsfhfohfhfoe.jpg

Roland Deschain, a rough-riding knight who has lost his way, peers off into the horizon in search of the man who decimated his world – and is about to ruin many more. That’s the opening of both The Dark Tower film and Stephen King’s first book in the series, and here we see Idris Elba as this spiritual warrior, a gunslinging knight, who has the devil in his sights. The landscapes of South Africa stood in for Mid-World, a dimension ravaged by loss but still bewitching in its tragic beauty.

Oh shit, they're actually doing the Dutch Hill Mansion too?!
10465400000df800gyu_0.jpg

This is one of the portals between worlds -- a decrepit Brooklyn mansion known as Dutch Hill, which literally roars to life around any intruder who tries to pass through its gateway. Production designer Christopher Glass said he wanted to take the supernatural premise and add real physics to it. "We’re trying to have rules, basically, for the way the house becomes a monster," he says. "Wood shouldn’t suddenly become rubber. It should have particles and fibers and break. And when certain elements are not touching one another, things don’t levitate. Everything has to be touching for it to be alive. Otherwise it just falls, gravity takes over."

Rootbeer

Banned
I love, love, love how they are doing it as a sequel with the horn. It makes so much sense that I never thought they would honestly consider it! But because of all the extra freedom it gives them, it was definitely the best choice.

ThisOne

There's no way all the books will be turned into movies, right? This is going to come out and completely flop at the box office regardless of how critically acclaimed it might end up being.

Simo

Has this been confirmed?

Yes, it's in the EW article confirmed by the film's director.

There's no way all the books will be turned into movies, right? This is going to come out and completely flop at the box office regardless of how critically acclaimed it might end up being.

The plan is that if the first film is successful then they'll turn all the books into a trilogy of films with a TV mini series between each to bridge them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I love, love, love how they are doing it as a sequel with the horn. It makes so much sense that I never thought they would honestly consider it! But because of all the extra freedom it gives them, it was definitely the best choice.

Does make me wonder if its going to throw some of the non book readers through a loop as the original storyline is pretty damn dense and goes to all kinds of surreal and crazy places and a sequel to that for the uninitiated might be a bit confusing but we shall see.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

Whoa, that's amazing. No need to finish my re-read by release date!

Simo

This is going to come out and completely flop at the box office regardless of how critically acclaimed it might end up being.

Just going back to this, reading the article and holy shit...the budget is only $60 million!

Spoiler about the horn thing:

It's been years since I read the books, but my memory is that the horn "resets" Roland's journey and he begins again. Which is actually a pretty awesome way to explain this movie's differences between it and the book. But does the horn also allow Roland himself to change? Sort of how Link is a bit different in every Zelda game, but it's the same Link? It could explain why this version of Roland looks so different from the Clint Eastwood everyone pictures in King's books.

obin_gam

Does make me wonder if its going to throw some of the non book readers through a loop as the original storyline is pretty damn dense and goes to all kinds of surreal and crazy places and a sequel to that for the uninitiated might be a bit confusing but we shall see.

They wont know though. If you havent read the books you are not missing anything, by just going into this film. And if you have - you get more out of it.

Simo

Only a trilogy? That kinda sucks.

Well that was the plan when Ron Howard was going to direct and was trying to secure studios because he wanted the deal where they'd produce a film trilogy and a TV series to run with it IIRC.

The EW article basically says that if the first film is successful, and it seems like it would be based on the surprisingly small budget, then the TV series would likely be a go along with "unending film sequels".

gutshot

Spoiler about the horn thing:

It's been years since I read the books, but my memory is that the horn "resets" Roland's journey and he begins again. Which is actually a pretty awesome way to explain this movie's differences between it and the book. But does the horn also allow Roland himself to change? Sort of how Link is a bit different in every Zelda game, but it's the same Link? It could explain why this version of Roland looks so different from the Clint Eastwood everyone pictures in King's books.

The journey has been reset many times, but the horn is supposed to be the magical artifact that will make this journey to the Tower "stick". I don't know if the books said anything about it changing Roland, but maybe the movie could introduce something like that?

Simo

The EW article also makes mention that the Manni village from the Wolves of the Calla is featured in the movie too.

No mention of Kathryn Winnick or her character either...

Kingbrave

The journey has been reset many times, but the horn is supposed to be the magical artifact that will make this journey to the Tower "stick". I don't know if the books said anything about it changing Roland, but maybe the movie could introduce something like that?

It's a sign that Roland can change and that there is hope for his redemption. It's why one of the subtitles for The Dark Tower novel is Redemption. It's why they added subtitles to the novels after Wizard and Glass came out actually.

Until the movie was announced I've always liked to think of the Browning poem as the sequel to the novels.

cyba89

I like everything about this so far. Going the
sequel
route will keep things interesting for book readers and excuses any changes they make from the book (people will probably still complain).

Now give me a teaser.

bionic77

This is going to be really hard to pull off, but I hope they nail it.

The beginning especially is really slow and would be pretty boring so hopefully they find some way to skip through that as quickly as possible and get to the drawing and meeting Eddie.

Book 4 would make a most excellent sequel and is something that would make for an amazing movie if they could pull it off. Not sure who young roland would be.

obin_gam

This is going to be really hard to pull off, but I hope they nail it.

The beginning especially is really slow and would be pretty boring so hopefully they find some way to skip through that as quickly as possible and get to the drawing and meeting Eddie.

Book 4 would make a most excellent sequel and is something that would make for an amazing movie if they could pull it off. Not sure who young roland would be.

From what can be interpreted in the EW articles it seems they're starting this off with Jakes POV and how he finds Roland in "The Waste Lands" (the book, not the place). While Roland himself is hunting Walter who goes from Mid-World to New York, and Walter is hunting Jake who goes from New York to Mid-World.

Or alike. Just speculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom