• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First batch of Dark Tower images and plot details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krakn3Dfx

I haven't been this excited about a movie in a long time. I do wish it was a series on HBO or something along those lines, but I'll take what I can get, and this looks amazing so far.

see5harp

Drawing of the Three was mind blowing to me as a high schooler. I was sorta hoping they'd start from there but this looks really cool.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The more I think about it the more I think this is the right approach. The Gunslinger is a good book and it could even be a good movie but it's not necessarily the best first Dark Tower movie. Personally I wish they'd start with a combo of Drawing of the Three and Wastelands but that's a lot of weird to drop newcomers into right away. I was super skeptical about the New York focus at first but it's now obvious that they do seem to be focusing on a couple fan favorite aspects, namely weird reality hopping and Roland's relationship to Jake. If we get a sequel I hope it's proper Mid World with the city of Lud and Blaine

Dalek

The Wastelands was my favorite in the series. IV was too tangental to me. It started off strong but got bogged down.

V has moments but the pay off did feel earned. VI was...tangental. VII had great concepts but felt way too rushed.

As a kid when I got to that cliffhanger in Waste Lands...it blew my mind. And I had to wait for years for the resolution.

alenade

This looks great! But GAF I need help. I read the first four books like five years ago, and I stopped after Wizard and Glass took way too long and killed the momentum. Should I reread or would I be okay picking up book 5?

The Technomancer

Oh man there is a non zero chance we will see a live action Blaine. I'm suddenly really excited about that.

Please be good. Please do well enough for sequels

icespide

Banned
you guys think they'll do a whole movie of Wizard and Glass or will they just sprinkle flashbacks throughout other films?

Kingbrave

This looks great! But GAF I need help. I read the first four books like five years ago, and I stopped after Wizard and Glass took way too long and killed the momentum. Should I reread or would I be okay picking up book 5?

Depends on how good your memory is?

There is a decent recap at the beginning though.

you guys think they'll do a whole movie of Wizard and Glass or will they just sprinkle flashbacks throughout other films?

I think It would make a better show than a movie personally.

The Technomancer

Ideally it gets a miniseries. If all goes well probably this movie, a series for the Drawing, a book for the Wastelands and parts of Wolves, a series for Wizard and Glass and a final movie for Song and The Dark Tower.

I like all the books but the back three probably compress best cinematically

duckroll

Wow this looks really great. Great casting, really evocative shots. I really hope it's a great film. I have a love/hate relationship with the books. The first half of the series is some of the most creative contemporary fantasy/scifi out there, but the last few books were just dreadful. It got longer and longer, the pacing went to shit, things got bogged down, and I honestly never liked the King Multiverse concept. The more it went into that, the more it started losing my interest. In the case of the film(s), maybe rights issues will actually make the adaptations better narrative-wise! Lol.

icespide

Banned
Ideally it gets a miniseries. If all goes well probably this movie, a series for the Drawing, a book for the Wastelands and parts of Wolves, a series for Wizard and Glass and a final movie for Song and The Dark Tower.

I like all the books but the back three probably compress best cinematically

man I really hope this first movie is a success and we get all that

Kingbrave

I want it to do well enough to see River Crossing and Aunt Talitha and Gnasher on the big screen. And Lud and Blaine and the Tick Tock man and all of Waste Lands really.

_Ryo_

Everything about this looks amazing, so I say Thankee-sai, and may Ka grant Long days and pleasant nights to all that serve the Tower!

I just now realized how awesome The Dark Tower would be as an RPG.

They should have made Idra a bit more grizzled. I always picture Roland as older and earth worn.

I'm curious if this movie will have Roland's palaver with Walter, and of that happens will they have
Roland aging 10 years

That conversation at the end of The Gunslinger really helped sell me on the quest for the tower.

120v

Seems to me no singular book is going to get a "full treatment"... unless this stretches out over 5 or so movies

Seeing the pics, reading the blurb and this thread makes me want to re-read the series again. Admittedly stopped during Wolves and never finished due to thinking the writing was horrid compared to the older books in the series, but might push through this time in prep for the film.

So I saw mention of one set piece from Wolves being in this film, any other books past that been confirmed as having bits in this?

It's been ages since I read a King but damn this thread put a bug in me, so many good stories out there. Also +1 for a Wizard and Glass miniseries, felt like a challenging read when I first went through it as a kid but it was def one of those watershed moments in literature for me after completing the journey. So good.

Seeing the pics, reading the blurb and this thread makes me want to re-read the series again. Admittedly stopped during Wolves and never finished due to thinking the writing was horrid compared to the older books in the series, but might push through this time in prep for the film.

So I saw mention of one set piece from Wolves being in this film, any other books past that been confirmed as having bits in this?

It's been ages since I read a King but damn this thread put a bug in me, so many good stories out there. Also +1 for a Wizard and Glass miniseries, felt like a challenging read when I first went through it as a kid but it was def one of those watershed moments in literature for me after completing the journey. So good.

Yes, a major location from books 6/7 is being prominently featured. It looks like it's just being used as a headquarters for the bad guys though an the major plot development that takes place there in the books isn't happening yet.

Jetman

So this movie is only for people who've read the books?
Haven't read them yet, and reading over that synopsis makes this thing sound highly....convoluted and complex for a general audience?

So this movie is only for people who've read the books?
Haven't read them yet, and reading over that synopsis makes this thing sound highly....convoluted and complex for a general audience?
"Gunslinger and allies chase evil force across multiple dimensions" is the basic premise. The rest is all world-building and such

Jarmel

Banned
Wow this looks really great. Great casting, really evocative shots.

I expect the acting to be good just due to the two leads being phenomenally good but what's shocking me is how good the cinematography looks to be.

odsfhfohfhfoe.jpg

564155505400sfsrfgyu.jpg

These two shots in particular look vastly better than I was expecting from the movie. I wasn't expecting much from Nikolaj Arcel but he might put out a good one.

I'm weirdly attracted to this, I've never read the books beyond listening to the third one on audio at a job years ago. It just seems super interesting.

I expect the acting to be good just due to the two leads being phenomenally good but what's shocking me is how good the choreography looks to be.

These two shots in particular look vastly better than I was expecting from the movie. I wasn't expecting much from Nikolaj Arcel but he might put out a good one.

I wonder if King was pushing for them to capture those big spaghetti Western-esque landscapes. Looks fantastic regardless.

Epcott

So is it going to be just this movie now? No more TV series in between films like what was previously planned when Ron Howard was attached?

.JayZii

Banned
I expect the acting to be good just due to the two leads being phenomenally good but what's shocking me is how good the choreography looks to be.

I don't know, it's pretty hard to judge dance moves off of still images.

The cinematography is looking pretty great, though.

It makes sense for this to integrate elements from the entire series. They can establish a lot things now and create a better sense of continuity.

Wow this looks really great. Great casting, really evocative shots. I really hope it's a great film. I have a love/hate relationship with the books. The first half of the series is some of the most creative contemporary fantasy/scifi out there, but the last few books were just dreadful. It got longer and longer, the pacing went to shit, things got bogged down, and I honestly never liked the King Multiverse concept. The more it went into that, the more it started losing my interest. In the case of the film(s), maybe rights issues will actually make the adaptations better narrative-wise! Lol.
Hence why the Horn of Eld being in marketing material is so hype!

Krowley

So is it going to be just this movie now? No more TV series in between films like what was previously planned when Ron Howard was attached?

Actually, sounds like all that is still on the table, as long as the movie makes money. They mention specifically in the article that a TV show that bridges the gap between movies is still what they'd like to do, but everything depends on whether or not the public enjoys this first film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom