• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Images from 'Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim'... It's a Fire Emblem anime

Oberstein

three-images-from-the-war-of-the-rohirrim-v0-nc9972e4vy5d1.jpg

three-images-from-the-war-of-the-rohirrim-v0-2dnbd4e4vy5d1.jpg

three-images-from-the-war-of-the-rohirrim-v0-nc9yk4e4vy5d1.jpg

The perfect combination or a betrayal? It's up to you to decide.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
From the Entertainment Weekly article, regarding the films' antagonist:

“He speaks so directly to a lot of the crises that we're facing today,” Boyens says. “He’s a really fascinating character and exciting too. You don't know what he's going to do, and some of the choices that he makes are just breathtaking in a good way.”

So the bad guy has modern motivations, and is relatable in a good way?

Eyeroll Whatever GIF

Ugh modern movies are just the worst.

Oberstein

From the Entertainment Weekly article, regarding the films' antagonist:

So the bad guy has modern motivations, and is relatable in a good way?

Eyeroll Whatever GIF

Ugh modern movies are just the worst.

Ouch, that's probably the worst thing to expect: to draw shitty parallels with the present day.

They can't do much worse than Rings of Power, but hey, you never know.

We'll see what the trailer sounds like when it arrives. I still want to believe it.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I had a feeling this would be a further insult to Tolkien's legacy.

I dread to think where they're going with this fan fiction bollocks.
WB and Jackson only have the rights to the LOTR texts. This is all Weta with John Howe and Alan Lee back. It’s 250 years before the trilogy and about Helm Hammerhand. Miranda Otto is back as Eowyn as the narrator.

Philippa had outlined the movie's plot, taken from Appendix A but expanded on, revolving around the "hot-headed" Helm and the political marriage of his daughter Hèra to Wulf, son of the part-Dunlending lord Freca in TA 2754.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
WB and Jackson only have the rights to the LOTR texts. This is all Weta with John Howe and Alan Lee back. It’s 250 years before the trilogy and about Helm Hammerhand. Miranda Otto is back as Eowyn as the narrator.

Yes. As I said. Fan fiction.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I'm not a big fan of the history of Rohan, but seeing as this is being produced by New Line and WB I'm confident that it will be good.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
No Tom Bombadil, loser.
Arwen was set dressing in the book. Aragorn was completely different, as was Faramir. They omitted the Scouring, which Tolkien felt was VERY important to the themes of his book, for a happy ending. Lots more. But people love the movies and reactionary YouTube didn’t exist back then.

IDKFA

No Tom Bombadil, loser.

That doesn't make the LOTR fins fan fiction.

Every novel that is adapted will have to make changes. The important thing is if the adaptation still respects the original authors vision, and with the PJ trilogy it more or less does that. Probably the best anybody could do.

The Hobbit was different. Yes, adapting a book, but so much more new content and new characters were added that it might as well have been fan fiction.

Rings of Power is fan faction that completely disrespects Tolkien because it has very little source material and is forced to create new content.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Phillipa Boyens is the producer for this.

It isn't going to be like the Amazon shit.

I don't know whether it's going to be good or not, but she's the woman who co-wrote Jackson's movies.

AJUMP23

Arwen was set dressing in the book. Aragorn was completely different, as was Faramir. They omitted the Scouring, which Tolkien felt was VERY important to the themes of his book, for a happy ending. Lots more. But people love the movies and reactionary YouTube didn’t exist back then.
That doesn't make the LOTR fins fan fiction.

Every novel that is adapted will have to make changes. The important thing is if the adaptation still respects the original authors vision, and with the PJ trilogy it more or less does that. Probably the best anybody could do.

The Hobbit was different. Yes, adapting a book, but so much more new content and new characters were added that it might as well have been fan fiction.

Rings of Power is fan faction that completely disrespects Tolkien because it has very little source material and is forced to create new content.

I agree with both of you. I would not call the Jackson movies fan fiction. I think they try hard to hold true to the original work.

Although in the Book it was Gandalf that said to go through Moria, not Gimli....Gimli was eager to go. Aragorn did not want to go, but Gandalf said it would be fine after the mountain issue.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is most certainly gonna be "Fan fiction" in the sense that the writers are taking Tolkeins words and themes and extrapolating their own story, almost entirely separate from what he wrote.

From (https://ew.com/lord-rings-war-rohirrim-anime-meet-hero-villain-exclusive-8661309)
"“In the appendices where the story is drawn from, we get these quite interestingly drawn male characters, and then we get this young female character who is never named — and that was really interesting to me,” Boyens says. “We know Helm has a daughter, and we know that she was central to the conflict that happened. But myself, and especially screenwriter Phoebe Gittins, were drawn to her. We could feel the weight of being that unnamed daughter, which immediately piqued our interest: Who was she? How did she live?”

So I screen shotted all the appendices they reference, which is about 4 pages in total. Now unlike the Hunt for Gollum, which is about 80 words in total, here at least we get a little bit of dialogue but that "daughter, central to the story" they reference, yeah, she is literally the macguffin to get the ball rolling, ain't central to jack shit. While it looks to be an interesting story, it's pretty clear that daughter was tangential at best to the struggle between Helm and Wulf. She isn't a Helen of Troy type figure, and IMHO it defeats the purpose and themes of the story as written if they try to make some sort of romantic relationship between Wulf and "Hera" or have her significantly involved in some way over Haleth and Hama, his son's.

Spoiler warning, I guess, as I assume the broad strokes will be followed.

t9OWYkD.jpeg
tfCB5Mo.jpeg
T3xe54W.jpeg
46Y97Se.jpeg
Vu2OfFG.jpeg
Y24BxyS.jpeg
Ub9oJxK.jpeg

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Aren't these two married to each other?
No Peter and Fran are married. Philippa is a friend.

She’s the main producer. Jackson is also a producer who checked in on it while he was doing his documentaries and overseeing the 4K releases.

They’re both producing and she’s writing Gollum.

IDKFA

Phillipa Boyens is the producer for this.

It isn't going to be like the Amazon shit.

I don't know whether it's going to be good or not, but she's the woman who co-wrote Jackson's movies.

Phillipa Boyens also did the screenplay for the Hobbit movies and Mortal Engines.

Looking at who's doing the screenplay for this film it's:

Phoebe Gittins. I had to look her up, but she is the daughter of Phillipa Boyens and hasn't had a major writing gig before.

Arty Papageorgiou - again no real history to her name. This appears to be her first major writing job.

I get people have to start somewhere, but the team at the moment isn't filling me with confidence.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Phillipa Boyens also did the screenplay for the Hobbit movies and Mortal Engines.

Looking at who's doing the screenplay for this film it's:

Phoebe Gittins. I had to look her up, but she is the daughter of Phillipa Boyens and hasn't had a major writing gig before.

Arty Papageorgiou - again no real history to her name. This appears to be her first major writing job.

I get people have to start somewhere, but the team at the moment isn't filling me with confidence.

Given the history of Hollywood over the last 15 or so years? I have zero faith.

Hell, look at what happened to the Castlevania anime. They turned the characters into literal fucking cucks!

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
LMAO you actually are insane huh
For what it's worth, when I read LotR I certainly don't picture Middle Earth or it's characters anything like how Jackson portrayed most of them.

Frodo is too young and lacks Book Frodo's book-learnedness
Sam is too smart. He's far more dumber and peasanty in the book
Merry is too much of a bumpkin. He's much more like an Edwardian middle-class englishmen
Pippin is too dumb. In the book, he's just young. He acts like a teenager, not an idiot.
Aragorn is too self-loathing. He was proud of his Numenorean heritage in the novel and strove to become king so he could marry his elf cousin
Boromir didn't really have a personality, except he was proud
Gimli is just an over-eager dwarf looking to fuck shit up in the novel
Legolas is more smoother in the novel. Not some bad ass. In fact, Tolkien explicitly says he achieved the least out of all the fellowship.
Sauron was not just a big flaming eyeball
Denethor sucks in the movie. He was a competent leader in the novel and did his best to prepare Gondor's defenses but gives into despair

Closest character is Gandalf.

For what it's worth, when I read LotR I certainly don't picture Middle Earth or it's characters anything like how Jackson portrayed most of them.

Merry is too much of a bumpkin. He's much more like an Edwardian middle-class englishmen
Pippin is too dumb. In the book, he's just young. He acts like a teenager, not an idiot.
Aragorn is too self-loathing. He was proud of his Numenorean heritage in the novel and strove to become king so he could marry his elf cousin
Legolas is more smoother in the novel. Not some bad ass. In fact, Tolkien explicitly says he achieved the least out of all the fellowship.
Denethor sucks in the movie. He was a competent leader in the novel and did his best to prepare Gondor's defenses but gives into despair

I've read the LOTR books multiple times myself. I think there is a big difference between adjusting character traits for a big budget Hollywood movie and completely making shit up out of nothing such as for example The RIngs of Power which is what fan fiction actually is. The OG LOTR Trilogy is an adaptation of the existing novels, to claim they are fan fiction is absolutely insane

Peter Jackson stayed very true to the story of the books and was widely praised for it, and in hindsight after we got things like the Hobbit Trilogy and The Rings of Power the OG LOTR Trilogy stands out even more for being so close to the books in both story events and spirit

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

I recently re-watched Bakshi’s and it’s shocking how much more like the book it is after 20 years with Jackson’s.

Top Bottom