• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at Hogwarts Legacy running on the Nintendo Switch

Larxia

People need to remember that it will look better on the switch itself since the screen will be much smaller than on your monitor.
It looks bad though, yes, but I wouldn't expect more from a port of a modern game like this on switch, they usually really don't scale down well lol.

This screenshot here is so weird though, the low resolution and the FSR upscale going so strong almost make it look like a blurry concept art and not a game screenshot :messenger_grinning_smiling:

098176.jpg

This is going to look so fuzzy in motion, will be terrible.

As others have intimated, it's performance that is the worrying aspect.

Is it a locked 30fps?

Is that a consistent 30, or are we talking slide slow during action and combat?

I mean, I guess we have to give them credit for getting it to run at all on such underpowered hardware.

Makes you wonder if a mobile version could be possible in the future.

Last edited:

I_D

Given the hardware, this looks pretty solid.

Given the reactions, portable hardware needs a major upgrade.

Saber

Gold Member
The irony here is amazing.

Because?
It's not as bad as it looks because even though you can notice some reduced textures from the pictures, it's not drastic. Looks solid and tame because it doesn't seems to have taken a heavy hit from reducing graphics to the point of everything becomes unrecognizable, like the examples I gave(Doom and specially Ark). I hope that clarifies.

Last edited:

CuNi

Viewing those pics on my phone made me zoom in to see what the fuss was about.
That looks absolutely incredible for the switch and is rather meant to most likely be played in handheld mode and not docked on a 65" screen.

Soodanim

This is a product that makes sense. I'm both a 60fps and image quality elitist and someone who held off on Switch because of the performance issues. But this is a product that you need to take off your gamer hat for and realise this product isn't for us on enthusiast forums. Its intended market will love it.

Switch 2 is XX months away, how long are they supposed to sit on this when getting it out of the door is an option. The graphically stronger versions predate this, so it's not like you're stuck wishing for an alternative.

Regginator

It was recently discovered that the Nintendo eShop has been updated with the first images of Hogwarts Legacy running on the Nintendo Switch.

You can see them below:

Clique para ver a imagem em tamanho original

Another interesting detail is that on the eShop page it was also revealed that Hogwarts Legacy weighs only 6.8 GB, therefore, it takes up almost no space in the console's storage.

Is this docked or undocked?

Because if it's undocked, it looks pretty good. Decently clean image quality if you output it on a Switch screen i.e. don't stretch it out.
But if this is docked, then that looks pretty rough. Understandable though considering the Switch hardware, but still. Hope for Switch users that it performs well, at least.

Tams

It's a game designed for high graphical fidelity running on a low power mobile SoC from 2014.

It looks alright for that, but it's never going to be the intended experience. Just like The Witcher 3. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag is probably the 'high graphics' game that looks the best, but that only has small areas.

It'll play alright and be enjoyable, but it's not going to be the same.

Downgrade was expected based on hardware capabilities, but props for them if they will manage to make it run decently
Exactly how I feel. I would not expect it to come close to it's bigger brothers. It kind of does. Still doesn't look great. Not horrible considering the hardware.

Because?
It's not as bad as it looks because even though you can notice some reduced textures from the pictures, it's not drastic. Looks solid and tame because it doesn't seems to have taken a heavy hit from reducing graphics to the point of everything because unrecognizable, like the examples I gave(Doom and specially Ark). I hope that clarifies.
Irony in your initial quote, not the point you are trying to get across. I suppose I could have used the word contradicting instead of ironic… “Honestly, it's not as bad as it looks. Looks solid imo. This one looks pretty tame.”

You say it looks bad. Then you say it looks solid. Then you say it looks pretty tame.

It is just confusing how you are using the word “looks”.

Trunx81

Unironically, it looks a bit like Skyrim. Especially the lake-shot. If they get it running on a decent framerate-level, you can consider this another impossible port. Reactions for Witcher 3 were similar and I loved every minute of it.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

I think this version of the game is totally justified. It's still in the Circana Top 10. Might as well see if they can squeeze some juice from the Switch-only audience.

Last edited:

Sojiro

Wait, you're telling me this game doesn't look as good as the other platforms on a device 6 years into its life? I am completely flabbergasted here! "Unplayable!"

I wonder who will be more irked, the people in here shitting on the switch, or the Era crowd who pretend this game doesn't exist? 🤔

thatJohann

Any gameplay footage out there yet?

The title of this thread is misleading. Makes it seem it's a gameplay video, instead of just screenshots.

Gambit2483

Any gameplay footage out there yet?

The title of this thread is misleading. Makes it seem it's a gameplay video, instead of just screenshots.
This will be just like the other WB Game (MK1), i.e. no (official) footage at all until release.

Edit: If we do get footage prior to launch it'll be from a leaked copy.

Last edited:

Deerock71

It legit looks fine for a Switch port. If it also runs well then I expect for it to sell quite good, especially during the upcoming holiday season where parents will rush to buy it as Xmas gift for their kids.
So much this. Nintendo's got some bangers lined up for the holidays, which is why all these whiners need a change of Depends.

Top Bottom