• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

first mp3 you ever downloaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure it was something off the Final Fantasy VI soundtrack, but I honestly have no idea for certain. It was a long time ago, though.

Aqua - Doctor Jones, in February of 1998. I shit you not. I used Mp3Play95 to play the file. It was 112k. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had with computers. No, actually, it was one of the best experiences ever. Now look at it. Everone's on this darn digital music bandwagon.

shoplifter

Jesus....

I -think- it was either the recalled version of KMFDM's Naive or some obscure Information Society demos back in '96...when it took frigging AGES to rip CDs and convert to MP3.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Zeppelin's Kashmir. I was on AOL, and god damn that took forever on the 14.4 modem.
I remember when people were going all "OMG NAPSTER!" and I was saying "Damn, I tried out napster months ago, IRC is the place to get stuff."
How things have ..er..changed.

Haha! I totally listened to KMFDM back then amongst other shit that I can't remember.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I first discovered Napster and mp3s the fall of 99, my freshman year of college. The only mp3 I remember downloading that first day was some blues song titled something like "I Eat Pussy". It was some old black guy singing "I eat pussy baby....alllll night long" or something. I thought it was hilarious.

shoplifter

I remember when mp3s started showing up, they were all over (and not just IRC). People had webpages with links to hundreds of megs of them before the old crackdowns started.

How I long for the good old days when the Internet was a truly lawless frontier.

pnjtony

NOFX - Drugs Are Good 1997 I didn't know what album it was on. didn't download it myself. I was complaining to my cousin that I couldn't find the song and he pulled up Dalnet on irc. I was hooked

aoi tsuki

i don't remember the first MP3, but i remember the first set of MP2s i got were off a Sailor Moon fansite i got off of Anipike back in 95/96. Can't remember which came first, "Moon Revenge" or "Morning Moon de Aimashoo", but i remember they sounded great , and those 112kbps MP2s sounded much better than most of the 128kbps MP3s i'd download for years to come. i found them years later on a Zip disk (should've named 'em RIP disks) and they still sounded great.

I remember downloading Miles Davis' "So What" and the rest of 'Kind of Blue' off of Hotline Client years ago. I went to the mall and bought it almost immediately afterwards. It ended up being the first (and hitherto most treasured) jazz album in my CD collection.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Prodigy - Firestarter (1997)

I remember playing this mp3 on a 100mhz computer. I had to close every application just to have winamp playing smoothly. Sheesh.

toohectic

It always seemed like 90% of the first mp3s out were 80's tunes, so I think mine was probably Toto "Africa" or something. It was only a 128kbps mp3, but I remember it sounded badass! I think the Africa's synthesizer sound just catered perfectly to the mp3 compression cause it was near flawless.

After that I proceeded to get whatever rare punk tracks I could find.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
"Around the World" by Daft Punk. I remember destinctly because my mother was annoyed as I played it for 3 hours on repeat one day.

So the next day, I downloaded "Barbie Girl" by Aqua. And thus, my mp3ing started. I think I got them both from Geocities webpages.

Man, the DMCA took away all of our fun!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ted Nugent - "Cat Scratch Fever"

Probably 6 years ago, and when I first started downloading stuff I was all about grabbing oldies that I loved.

Blackie

The first songs I downloaded off of the internet were from the Tony Hawks Pro Skater Uno soundtrack. I forget which order I downloaded them in, though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The Dracula's Castle intro track from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, right after the game came out in Japan. MP3 was strange and mysterious back then, and it was from an ancient and obscure website by a Japanese speaking gamer who was, AFAIK, one of the first to try and get widescale exposure to Japanese game OST albums on the net. He'd post selected tracks from OSTs with info on the composer, date published, proper name of the album, etc.

The Video Game Midi Archive was a hot thing at that time, so you can imagine the magical quality this one side had to it - very often it had the same tunes from the same games that you'd see sequenced or remixed on the VGMA, except in this new, stunning quality format.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I used to download a lot of MP2 samples off of the old SoundtrackCentral site (game music reviews)... the first actual MP3 was, when the technology first came out, someone sent me FF5's Battle With Gilgamesh song. First non game song I downloaded in MP3... I dunno, Veracocha-Carte Blanche maybe?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I'm pretty sure it was some Spice Girls song, and it was before the Winamp days. I forget the name of that player that was popular before Winamp and the others came along. I do, however, remember having to crank the rendering quality down or else it would skip on my badass 486/SX-33...

DCX

DCX
The Prodigy- FireStarter
Britney Spears- Hit Me Baby, one more time

First two song i downloaded, got them going at the same time with Britney finishing first.

Good Times....

DCX

b00duh

MarkMorrison.jpg

Mark Morrison - "Return of the Mack"

yesssssss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom