• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Five by Five & Sanctuary = Best Angel Eps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can never get enough of these two episodes. Best fight in Angel ever, the whole Angel Faith thing was fucking brutal. And the entire theme of the two part story was CENTRAL to what Angel is all about.

OWNED Take that JJ ABRAHAM LINCOLN!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Yes, redemption. Angel is all about redemption. Well, the search for redemption anyway.

Good episodes, never gonna get in my top 10 though.

Gimme yer top 10 ASSHOLE! The whole part with the fighting in the rain in five by five was pretty cool tho where she just breaks down.

Then Angel yells at buffy at the end of sanctuary and im like awesome, stick it to that bitch. Then they make up in buffy which sucks but the Angel Reily fight was ace and well worth it anyway.

Mama Smurf

They're not in any order:

Underneath
Home
Lullaby
Inside Out
Destiny
Life of the Party
Smile Time
Lineage
Damage
Apocalypse, Nowish

There are probably at least another 15 episodes which I really wanted to put in. Darla, A Hole In The World, Orpheus...the problem with top 10s is you only get 10 places. Crazy.

I've got to agree though, when Buffy hits Angel and he hits her back and she has the nerve to give him a hurt look...that was great.

Yeah it was pretty awesome. I also love that part where ol Wes just decks faith for hitting cordie. That I think is where Wes turned the corner into BADASS. That look on his face, so awesome. BADASS

I got tired of Have You Now real quick. Not enough pain! And hero is only good at the end, cause I hate half-breed demons! HATE! I mean cause I didnt care for the bum demons as a supporting cast for the episode.

I thought about using Five by Five as a forum name but then I figured everyone would think it was my penis size or something.

My other complaint is the author's explanation of Faith's catchphrase "five by five." He totally misses the point with this one - he explains the meaning but not the derivation. The glossary says it means "satisfied, good" which I agree with, but here's what the text says on page 23:
But David Greenwalt undoubtedly borrowed five-by-five, in the sense of 'good, satisfied' (metaphorically the dimensions of square 'fine, in agreement, in accord', as in "Everything's square" or "It's all right, we're square"), from well-established American slang: the Historical Dictionary of American Slang records the term from the 1940s, as an item of U.S. military slang, and the dictionary's most recent citation for the word is dated 1983, suggesting that, though infrequently, speakers continue to use it. Greenwalt imported five-by-five to the Buffyverse in the episode Faith, Hope, and Trick (13 October 1998) when Faith says, "Hey, as long as you don't go scratchin' at me or humpin' my leg, we're five-by-five, ya know?"; subsequent use in Doug Petrie's Revelations (17 November 1998) provides lexically useful context: "How are you?" Buffy asks Faith, to which she responds, "Five-by-five." "I'll interpret that as good," glosses Buffy in turn, and very near HDAS's 'perfect, fine'.
So what's wrong with this? There's no etymology involved. At no point does the author (Michael Adams) mention why the phrase is "five by five" - an important fact! After all, if the meaning is just "square," couldn't it be "four by four" instead? But there is a reason the phrase is five-by-five: it's related to a system used by radio operators to describe signal strength. SailNet has a brief reference to the system but says it's a ten-point scale, which is incorrect (unfortunately their paragraph is duplicated elsewhere) - it's actually a five-point scale, as mentioned at WordWizard. (UrbanDictionary's version is not to be trusted, but Li Kao's E2 writeup is pretty good; Kelly at Marmalade7 has an entry about it too.) Regardless of the details, though, there is definitely a radio basis for the origin of the term "five by five" - and Michael Adams has ignored it completely. I'm a ham radio operator myself, so this kind of irks me - I may write to him and see what he has to say for himself.

from some website blah blah blah

Vlad

Luscious LeftFoot said:
Did they ever explain what "5 by 5" meant? I know they had a gag about it once...

I remember reading what it meant somewhere else before. It had something to do with radio transmissions (may be a military term). Something about two different numbers rating signal strength and clarity or something like that, with the highest being five. Thus, "5 by 5" being equivalent to "loud and clear" or something similar....

Buffy - How long?

Angel - One minute.

Buffy - *whisper* One minute? Thats not enough time! Not enough time!

Angel - Shhhsh *hugs Buffy, holding back tears*

Buffy - *shuts her eyes tight, repeating* I'll wont forget. I'll never forget..."

WHOOOSH

Man, that was some good drama.

Then bam, he had to deal with that shitty reality all over again. DEPRESSING. Then everyone around him doesnt GET why he's all depressed till next episode ;P

Mama Smurf

fart said:
WHAT?? NO I WILL REMEMBER YOU???

Nope. And no Joss Whedon.

I prefer later Angel dialogue to the early stuff. And it doesn't get any better than Underneath:

6 INT. FRED'S APARTMENT - NIGHT Wesley stares ahead when he hears
Fred's voice behind him.
FRED You have a visitor.
WESLEY (turns slightly) I thought I was in isolation.

FRED (kisses his neck from behind him) Whose fault is
that?(walks around to kneel in front of him) Tell me a joke.

WESLEY (softly) 2 men walk into a bar. The first man
orders a scotch and soda. The second man remembers something he'd
forgotten, and it doubles him over with pain. He falls to the floor
shaking.... and then through the floor and into the Earth. He looks
back up at the first man, but he doesn't call out to him.(looks
down at Fred) They're not that close.
FRED Yeah. You always know where you are.
WESLEY It's my particular skill.
FRED (crawls into his lap, looks into his eyes) This
is only the first layer. Don't you wanna see how deep I go?

Cut to:
7 INT. FRED'S APARTMENT - NIGHT Wesley gasps as he wakes from his
dream. He's sitting alone in a chair in the dark. Illyria speaks from
somewhere behind him.
ILLYRIA You've been sitting for a long time.
WESLEY Yeah. Dozed off.
ILLYRIA You drank a great deal of that poison.
(Wesley holds his hand to his head, rubbing his eyes,
pained) You called me a lot of names meant to hurt feelings I no
longer have, and then you sat there for hours making noise with your
nose.
WESLEY I was dreaming, you twit.

calder

Mama Smurf said:
Nope. And no Joss Whedon.

I prefer later Angel dialogue to the early stuff. And it doesn't get any better than Underneath:

6 INT. FRED'S APARTMENT - NIGHT Wesley stares ahead when he hears
Fred's voice behind him.
FRED You have a visitor.
WESLEY (turns slightly) I thought I was in isolation.

FRED (kisses his neck from behind him) Whose fault is
that?(walks around to kneel in front of him) Tell me a joke.

WESLEY (softly) 2 men walk into a bar. The first man
orders a scotch and soda. The second man remembers something he'd
forgotten, and it doubles him over with pain. He falls to the floor
shaking.... and then through the floor and into the Earth. He looks
back up at the first man, but he doesn't call out to him.(looks
down at Fred) They're not that close.
FRED Yeah. You always know where you are.
WESLEY It's my particular skill.
FRED (crawls into his lap, looks into his eyes) This
is only the first layer. Don't you wanna see how deep I go?

Cut to:
7 INT. FRED'S APARTMENT - NIGHT Wesley gasps as he wakes from his
dream. He's sitting alone in a chair in the dark. Illyria speaks from
somewhere behind him.
ILLYRIA You've been sitting for a long time.
WESLEY Yeah. Dozed off.
ILLYRIA You drank a great deal of that poison.
(Wesley holds his hand to his head, rubbing his eyes,
pained) You called me a lot of names meant to hurt feelings I no
longer have, and then you sat there for hours making noise with your
nose.
WESLEY I was dreaming, you twit.

That was so fucking awesome. Wesley = favourite TV character EVER.

I liked those although i'd definetly put I Will Remember You over it. I think the best shows in both series were the most depressing ones overall. Other than IWRY, you've gotta have this on the list:

puppettangel02.jpg

puppettangel04.jpg

puppettangel19.jpg

puppettangel20.jpg

77.JPG

28.JPG

70.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom