• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Following Shift Up and NCSoft, Sony might also partner with Pearl Abyss (Crimson Desert devs), Neowiz (Lies of P devs) and Com2uS

MTN Korea said back in June that Sony would strike partnerships with NCSoft and Shift Up, they also indicated that Sony is interested in forming a partnership with Neowiz and Pearl Abyss.
Sony has recently paid attention to Korea's content industry and is working hard to secure allies. This is because the proportion of video game production is gradually expanding in Korea, where PC online and mobile games were the main focus, and attention is increasing.

In addition to the success of the video game versions of Battleground and Black Desert, Neowiz's P's Lie, Shift Up's Stella Blade, and NCSoft's TL are attracting attention as they are being developed as video games one after another.

Sony is pursuing business partnerships and collaboration with them. In particular, Pearl Abyss, which is about to release 'Red Desert', is discussing partnership plans, including equity investment, with Sony to secure exclusive content.

Neowiz, Com2uS, and NCSoft are also considered partners that are expected to expand collaboration with Sony.
[Investment industry official: Unlike before, an environment has been created in which companies from both Korea and Japan do not have to worry about pursuing close collaboration, including equity investments, and discussions on close collaboration are actually taking place].

It is expected that this will be an opportunity for our company to break away from the stagnation of the existing PC online game and mobile game-oriented market, and attention is being paid to whether it will be able to successfully expand its reach. This is Seo Jeong-geun from Money Today Broadcasting.

Flutta

Banned
Good Times Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Good move 👍. Let’s hope we get more AA/AAA games out of these partnerships.

Mister Wolf

Looking forward to Crimson Desert but the name for the title is still idiotic based on the in game location. Not too late for them to change it.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Looking forward to Crimson Desert but the name for the title is still idiotic based on the in game location. Not too late for the to change it.
They made Black Desert, seems they aren't very original or just bad naming their games.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony getting ahead of the game in an expanding market. Smart.
This.

People are overlooking this amidst all the PC, live-service, MMO, and mobile talk. Sony has been successfully cornering markets for some time now. They started with Japan, established dominance in EU, cornered China, just started cornering India, and are now cornering the South Korean market.

The type of games they will make -- live-service MP, MMO, mobile, PC, etc. -- is all secondary. Sony will let them make what they make best, because that's the specialty of those developers.

The bottom line is that Sony wants to dominate globally and don't want to give any quarters to Xbox in any country whatsoever.

This.

People are overlooking this amidst all the PC, live-service, MMO, and mobile talk. Sony has been successfully cornering markets for some time now. They started with Japan, established dominance in EU, cornered China, just started cornering India, and are now cornering the South Korean market.

The type of games they will make -- live-service MP, MMO, mobile, PC, etc. -- is all secondary. Sony will let them make what they make best, because that's the specialty of those developers.

The bottom line is that Sony wants to dominate globally and don't want to give any quarters to Xbox in any country whatsoever.

This is why I think it was ludicrous for Spencer to complain that Sony make it difficult for Microsoft.

Xbox has been in the industry for a long time. It is leadership to march down paths unknown and that historically has been why PlayStation has been successful. Xbox has the exact same opportunity here, but they don't seem to be taking it or others, yet blame others for their own situation.

I personally don't like the kind of games we'll likely see out of these partnerships, but a strong PlayStation overall will benefit the types of games I do enjoy.

Last edited:
This is why I think it was ludicrous for Spencer to complain that Sony make it difficult for Microsoft.

Xbox has been in the industry for a long time. It is leadership to march down paths unknown and that historically has been why PlayStation has been successful. Xbox has the exact same opportunity here, but they don't seem to be taking it or others, yet blame others for their own situation.

I personally don't like the kind of games we'll likely see out of these partnerships, but a strong PlayStation overall will benefit the types of games I do enjoy.
That criticism about Japan never made much sense considering Playstation has only one single generation head-start when compared to Xbox AND the original console had A LOT of exclusive games and partnerships with multiple Japanese studios and publishers. I mean...Sega was everywhere on Xbox back then.

Xbox has no presence there because Xbox does very little to have it right now.

I mean they are literally playing catch-up with Sony on the Chinese market as we speak. A year ago it was announced that "Microsoft is looking for its own Genshin Impact-like game in order to appeal more to the Chinese market".

How can you just be "looking for" that in 2022? Sony was doing that in 2014...what were they doing?
Sony is very focused on Asia, great to see.
They already have lots of studios in Europe and USA. They have great partnerships and relationships with Capcom, Square-Enix, etc in Japan, miHoYo in China, now Korean studios as well. They also started to move the needle in India.

Sony wants to be everywhere, in every market: consoles, mobile, VR, PC, etc...

Korean dramas are blowing up globally, as are more serious Korean cinema and TV (e.g. Parasite which was GOD-tier, and Squid Games which was one of the most popular shows across all streaming platforms).

Sony's expertise in building and producing narrative-driven games with god-tier production values, combined with Korean story-telling will be fucking GOAT.

Book it, NeoGaf!!!!

is it actually real? cus it looked like the the definition of vaporware.
They pretty much taken there black dessert game and expanded it to something different. So yeah I believe it real. If it wasn’t for the fact they black dessert I would believe this game is fake. U can pretty much do all that in black desert now. It just a big mmo.

Top Bottom