• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foo Fighters are back - New album Spring 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

WJD

So after a 4 year hiatus (or 14 years if you're one of those fans) they're back after recording their seventh studio album.

Apparently they're going back to their raw, heavier roots - which can only be good news!

Here's a teaser of what's to come...
http://tease.foofighters.com/

and a recent press release:

CONFIRMED FOR SPRING 2011 RELEASE ON ROSWELL/RCA

Butch Vig-Produced Seventh Studio Record To Hit Simultaneously With Theatrical Release Of Feature-Length Foo Fighters Documentary Directed By Academy Award Winner James Moll

Foo Fighters have launched http://tease.foofighters.com/ featuring a first taste of “Bridge Burning,” the opening track of the band’s seventh full length studio album, due out this spring on Roswell/RCA.

The album, produced by Butch Vig and mixed by Alan Moulder, was recorded entirely on analog tape in the garage of Dave Grohl’s home in California’s San Fernando Valley. The no computers/no software/flesh blood and tape only approach has resulted in arguably the strongest and most cohesive effort of the band’s 15-year-plus career: From the soaring melodies of first single “Walk” to the beautifully bipolar “These Days” to the stunning duet with Bob Mould on “Dear Rosemary,” the record is a singular triumph: a band that’s headlined arenas, stadiums and festivals the world over stripping itself down to the bare essentials–a bunch of friends recording an album to tape in a garage—and coming up with its finest hour.

The new record also marks the Foo Fighters’ first full length effort with legendary producer Butch Vig, who produced new tracks “Wheels” and “Word Forward” on 2009’s Greatest Hits and with whom Dave Grohl (of course) first worked on Nirvana’s classic Nevermind. Nirvana co-founder Krist Novoselic also makes a cameo, contributing bass and accordion to “I Should Have Known,” while former Nirvana touring guitarist and longtime extended FF family member Pat Smear now joins the permanent FF core of Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel and Chris Shiflett.

Concurrent with the album’s release, Exclusive Media Group’s documentary division Spitfire Pictures will be producing a feature documentary about the Foo Fighters to be directed by Academy Award winner James Moll (The Last Days, Running The Sahara). Co-produced and co-financed by Exclusive Media Group and RCA Records, Moll’s documentary will chronicle the entire history of the Foo Fighters, from the cassette demos Grohl recorded during his tenure as Nirvana’s drummer through their ascent to their Grammy-winning, multi-platinum, arena and stadium headlining status as one of the biggest rock bands on the planet. This chronicling of the Foo Fighters’ triumphs and tragedies will culminate in an in-depth behind the scenes perspective on the making of the new album: A process in which the band pushed itself forward by going back to basics and recording in Grohl’s garage completely on analog tape.

The new Foo Fighters record will of course be supported by an extensive world tour, of which the first dates to be announced, the band’s own July 2 & 3 Milton Keynes Bowl headline stint, blew out all 130,000 tickets within hours of on-sale. Additionally, the Foos are confirmed to headline across the worldwide summer festival circuit, including Washington state’s Sasquatch!, the UK’s Isle of White, Pink Pop in the Netherlands, Germany’s Southside and Hurricane, Oxegen in Ireland, T in the Park in Scotland, Optimus Alive in Portgual, and more to be announced as they are confirmed.

and just in case you'd forgotten about them, here's a quick reminder on the past 6 albums:

Foo Fighters
Highlights:
Weenie Beenie
Wattershed
This Is A Call

The Colour and the Shape
Highlights:
Everlong
My Hero
Hey, Johnny Park!

There Is Nothing Left to Lose
Highlights:
Aurora
Generator
Breakout

One by One
Highlights:
All My Life
Times Like These
Low

In Your Honour
Highlights:
Best of You
No Way Back
Hell

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Highlights:
Let it Die
Come Alive
Stranger Things Have Happened

Also, live with mother fucking Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones!

Gonna be good.

-Eddman-

distantmantra said:
Aside from Grohl, who's still in the band?

Well, Pat Smear is actually a founding member, but he has been in and out of the band at several times.

I'm very excited and curious to listen to the song with Novoselic, and let's see if they can finally come to Mexico for the first time ever.

-Eddman- said:
Well, Pat Smear is actually a founding member, but he has been in and out of the band at several times.

I'm very excited and curious to listen to the song with Novoselic, and let's see if they can finally come to Mexico for the first time ever.

That's interesting. I loved it when the band was 50% (kinda) Nirvana and 50% Sunny Day Real Estate. That didn't last long.

edit; Nate Mendel is still there. Hopefully that doesn't get in the way of the rumored new SDRE album.

It's been a long time of self denial, but I finally renounced the Foos as my favorite band of all time after that piece of shit "Wheels" finally sent me over the edge.

Got bored one day and stumbled across the news that Pat Smear is back on board for this one... interest piqued significantly.

Listened to that teaser a few times just now, and it's got me looking forward to this album! Hoping for redemption

WJD

Gryphter said:
It's been a long time of self denial, but I finally renounced the Foos as my favorite band of all time after that piece of shit "Wheels" finally sent me over the edge.

Got bored one day and stumbled across the news that Pat Smear is back on board for this one... interest piqued significantly.

Listened to that teaser a few times just now, and it's got me looking forward to this album! Hoping for redemption
Wheels was indeed shit, Word Forward was a lot better though.

WJD said:
Wheels was indeed shit, Word Forward was a lot better though.

I would have been interested in it, if Wheels did not send me into a batshit insane killing rampage. lemme see if it's on youtube

blanky

I'm still very interested. But honestly the whole PR, back to roots, foo's like the old days etc. etc. :| It's like its THE template for large bands who announce a new album in the 21st century.

I'm excited, but I'd be excited if the Foo Fighters did basically anything. The tease at least sounds like they're back to being more creative with the arrangements (see There is Nothing Left to Lose).

WJD

blanky said:
I'm still very interested. But honestly the whole PR, back to roots, foo's like the old days etc. etc. :| It's like its THE template for large bands who announce a new album in the 21st century.
I thought that at first, but then I took into account Dave's involvement with TCV, the garage/tape recording things, interviews with Dave and then the response from people that went to the secret gig last year.

I'm optimistic that this is the real deal.

blanky

WJD said:
I thought that at first, but then I took into account Dave's involvement with TCV, the garage/tape recording things, interviews with Dave and then the response from people that went to the secret gig last year.

I'm optimistic that this is the real deal.

It's not that I don't believe that they're doing something cool, it's just that its such a tiresome thing to hear over and over. If you want people to come back so desperately than let them hear it.

Diablos

Not even cautiously optimistic. They haven't put out an album worthy of praise since 1999. I expect this to be trash.

Dave should've just drummed for QOTSA full time and abandoned Foo Fighters.

CiSTM

Banned
Dahellisdat said:
Would be tight if Grohl played drums
Totally. He is still one of the best drummers out there and I enjoyed so much of his drumming when I saw him on stage with crooked vultures. BTW does this mean there won't be new crooked vultures album any time soon ? Last time they said it would be out early 2011 but since there hasn't been much news on that frontier do we assume the band is no more ? It would be real shame imo. First album wasn't the greatest thing on earth but after listening to it you do realise how much potential the band has.

WJD

CiSTM said:
Totally. He is still one of the best drummers out there and I enjoyed so much of his drumming when I saw him on stage with crooked vultures. BTW does this mean there won't be new crooked vultures album any time soon ? Last time they said it would be out early 2011 but since there hasn't been much news on that frontier do we assume the band is no more ? It would be real shame imo. First album wasn't the greatest thing on earth but after listening to it you do realise how much potential the band has.
Fairly sure they said they would do another after the next Foo's cycle.

Diablos said:
Not even cautiously optimistic. They haven't put out an album worthy of praise since 1999. I expect this to be trash.

Dave should've just drummed for QOTSA full time and abandoned Foo Fighters.

I know where you're coming from cuz half of me has the same opinion, but you gotta admit, if you cherry pick certain tracks off each album since One by One, you could make one hell of an album. Each one had at least 2-3 good tracks

CiSTM

Banned
WJD said:
Fairly sure they said they would do another after the next Foo's cycle.
I hope but since this is happening and new queens of the stone age album will be out late 2011 or early 2012 I don't see them doing new crooked vultures album any time soon.

The reason I'm excited for this album above the last couple is that it's coming right after his stint with Them Crooked Vultures. That said, perhaps "cautiously optimistic" is the best phrase since I haven't really grabbed onto any of the albums since One by One, and even that was a love/hate affair.

I actually enjoyed several songs on One by One and it was clear that Grohl was turning to some more aggressive sounds after his stint with QotSA. He tends to get inspired when he plays outside of the group, and then it often influences the next album. For better or for worse. Personally I really liked Them Crooked Vultures and I'm hoping it's leading to a heavier sound again from the Foo Fighters.

Here's hoping they come by Omaha again to promote the album. I hope to remember the next concert, was completely wasted for the last one :(

123rl

New albums from Foo Fighters and Rise Against in the next few months make me very happy. Awesome start to the year for music!

The last year I got excited for the return of a big rock band, I got 21st Century Breakdown and The Resistance. But TCV was damn good and I love everything the Foos have done, so fuck it, I'll get pumped.

distantmantra said:
That's interesting. I loved it when the band was 50% (kinda) Nirvana and 50% Sunny Day Real Estate. That didn't last long.

edit; Nate Mendel is still there. Hopefully that doesn't get in the way of the rumored new SDRE album.
New SDRE album? :D

Also I hate teasers like that. It's too short :C

KJTB

This would have excited me... 4 years ago.

The local radio station that I turn on sometimes still plays pretender >_<

You can find the whole album on YouTube recorded at various shows. It's... okay.

Their last album seemed to split people down the middle, I fell on the "loved it" side, not sure if this one is more a "return to form" or "step backwards"

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Jesus, with The Twilight Singers, Beady Eye, The Strokes and Foo Fighters in the next 2 months I may have actually reached musical nirvana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom