• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For PC Gaf, do PS4 leaks mean I'll have to upgrade?

Skyr

I think it’s best to wait about a year after the consoles have released, as the then available Hardware will have a good leap over the consoles at an acceptable price. That should get you set basically for the rest of the gen.

I did so with my 4790k system I built in 2014 and am still rockin it while only upgrading the gpu inbetween.

Last edited:

Gp1

Forget about GPU upgrades for now, you will play until the end of this gen with a mid-tier gpu easily, and probably will play the majority of those cross-gen/first year titles.

The real minimum common denominator for next gen will be CPU and ram. And i really don't think that next gen consoles will deliver something like a recent i7 class performance in 2020.

ps: i dealt with a i5 SB for this entire generation without too much hassle. Waiting anxiously the next gen to change it.

Last edited:
Pull out your crystal balls for a moment. With the info we know about PS5, and assuming Xbone2X will be similar, will I have to upgrade my pc next year to play modern games?

I'm using a 980ti and 6700k right now. I'm kind of hesitant to drop a grand on a new pc, when I'll almost certainly be getting a console too.

No, you don't have to upgrade unless the video games that you may want under-perform below your comfort. I'd be hesitant to drop a grand in your shoes as well, because i don't think that it's a good idea. So i believe your common sense is telling you that as well by being hesitant.

And i think your common sense is right, because by waiting, for example let's say a year or so after the next generation consoles are released, there will be hardware available at an affordable price that is significantly more powerful than those consoles. Your machine will be more than capable to ride out another year, or more depending on your comfort, and you will inevitably be hit by opportunities to purchase good hardware that can last you the entire generation.

For example, my 2014 machine lasted me the entire generation and i will upgrade depending whether or not i can run Cyberpunk 2077 at an acceptable performance level and imagine quality.

As a PC gamer unless I start to make more money than I do now a PS5 or a Scarlet is going to be my best option for next gen gaming. Pouring one out for my PC career now.

GAMETA

Banned
I'm not upgrading until my i7 4770 + GTX 1070 can no longer run on High settings in 1080p or until the gap in graphical fidelity becomes distinctively noticeable

RT seems way way way underused right now to justify.

i7 8700 and a 1080 ti. I prefer to game in 1440p so I've no idea when I'll need to upgrade. Was thinking maybe when the next line of NVIDIA cards releases. Perhaps.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Unfortunately yeah. If your ps4 is leaking out smelly shit I would upgrade to a ps4 pro.

Jokes aside, I would wait until you see the recommended requirements of next gen pc games before upgrading .

Ï plan to upgrade CPU but will a Ryzen 3600 be enough to keep up with next-gen consoles? I'm hesistant to pay twice as much for a 3700x to get what are currently marginal improvements.

ZywyPL

Banned
If you'd buy today an 8C/16T Ryzen, 16GB RAM, 5700XT, and a 1TB SSD, it's pretty safe to assume you'd be set for entire next generation, minus ray tracing. Of course you would have to manually optimize each game's settings by your own, as oppose the devs doing it for you, but that's not a big issue. And that's assuming you'll want to jump on the 4K bandwagon, because sticking to 1080p-1440p will require less powerful hardware vs the 4K-oriented consoles, or will give you better performance/quality with the same specs.

But as many already said, upgrading right now, just a year before the consoles release, it easily the worst idea ever, not to mention all the new PC hardware waiting being the corner, just stick with what you have and wait for the course of actions.

llien

Also, dont update right now. Wait till Nvidia's next gen GPUs (Ampere), IMHO.
Because why buy superior products for the same price, if they are from AMD.

I'm using a 980ti and 6700k right now. I'm kind of hesitant to drop a grand on a new pc, when I'll almost certainly be getting a console too.
More 7nm products are in the pipeline, there is a huge unknown on which path AMD chose for RT, first PS5 games will likely run on PS4 too etc etc.

I don't see 980Ti running into "I can't play this game" for at least 2 years to come.
(and one needs a really underpowered CPU or batshit razy framerates to be CPU constrained)

bitbydeath

Gold Member
If you'd buy today an 8C/16T Ryzen, 16GB RAM, 5700XT, and a 1TB SSD, it's pretty safe to assume you'd be set for entire next generation, minus ray tracing. Of course you would have to manually optimize each game's settings by your own, as oppose the devs doing it for you, but that's not a big issue. And that's assuming you'll want to jump on the 4K bandwagon, because sticking to 1080p-1440p will require less powerful hardware vs the 4K-oriented consoles, or will give you better performance/quality with the same specs.

But as many already said, upgrading right now, just a year before the consoles release, it easily the worst idea ever, not to mention all the new PC hardware waiting being the corner, just stick with what you have and wait for the course of actions.

The latest leaks are pointing back to 14TF again so should probably just wait to hear from Sony/MS.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yup definitely.

6700K - 4 cores...LOL
RAM? - going into next gen 32GB should be the standard. 16GB won't be enough. i used to have 16GB but i noticed some games could easily use <13GB so yeah...i got 32GB.
980 Ti - will struggle to keep up with next gen consoles.

i had a similar PC: 6700K, 16GB, 1070 (basically a 980 Ti) and now I have a 9900K, 32GB, RTX 2080.

i will probably upgrade my GPU when Nvidia release new GPUs next year.

Ï plan to upgrade CPU but will a Ryzen 3600 be enough to keep up with next-gen consoles? I'm hesistant to pay twice as much for a 3700x to get what are currently marginal improvements.
6 cores vs 8 cores is a "marginal improvement" ?

the minimum CPU for going into next gen is a 3700X.

Minimum - 3700X
Decent - 3800X
Ideal - 9900K

you could always wait for Ryzen 4000 cpus which will come out before next gen consoles and they will offer a decent boost over 3000 cpus. intel will probably release a "10900K" too. but yeah if you're buying NOW then a 3700X, 3800X or 9900K will be good.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Wait for what AMD & Nvidia has to offer.

You fucking crazy.
not sure about 14 but i definitely have seen 12-13TF being thrown about. keep in mind that this is AMD TF not NVIDIA TF. big difference.

the XB1X is 6TF and a GTX 1070 is 6.5TF. yet the 1070 is significantly more powerful than an XB1X. the XB1X is probably closer to a 580 than a 1070. comparison between both cards:

not sure about 14 but i definitely have seen 12-13TF being thrown about. keep in mind that this is AMD TF not NVIDIA TF. big difference.

the XB1X is 6TF and a GTX 1070 is 6.5TF. yet the 1070 is significantly more powerful than an XB1X. the XB1X is probably closer to a 580 than a 1070. comparison between both cards:

You are talking about GCN TF, next gen talk is Navi TF wich is at least x1.25 gcn perf.

The link you just posted in the other thread stated it’s faster than the 2080TI, hell i’m downplaying it in comparison.
Knowing you saying the latest leaks showing 14TF i tought you where talking about PS5 TF 🤣.
Yeah big Navi is set to tackle 2080ti but keep in mind Ampere is around the corner so..... wait and see.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Knowing you saying the latest leaks showing 14TF i tought you where talking about PS5 TF 🤣.
Yeah big Navi is set to tackle 2080ti but keep in mind Ampere is around the corner so..... wait and see.

Your post was about the latest leak from Komachi right? The one that puts the PS5 GPU (Oberon) at 505mm^2?

6 cores vs 8 cores is a "marginal improvement" ?
In current game benchmarks it's a marginal improvement.

But yeah, I get the impression that a 3600 will not be enough for next gen. I'm actually still on an i5 3570 that works fine for the most part and the main reason I want to upgrade is to get more RAM, but then I would also upgrade the motherboard and go from DDR3 to DDR4. I'll think about it a bit longer.

Last edited:

Skyr

I think it’s best to wait about a year after the consoles have released, as the then available Hardware will have a good leap over the consoles at an acceptable price. That should get you set basically for the rest of the gen.

I did so with my 4790k system I built in 2014 and am still rockin it while only upgrading the gpu inbetween.
I just saw that someone liked this post and had to laugh because it didn't age well.
Basically I jumped on a 9900k recently as I got a pretty good deal on.. and with that obviously had to upgrade mb and ram.

Ye I guess I'm a hypocrite lol.

I feel like waiting a year or two after new consoles drop is usually the best course of action. Before then, most game companies are just taking well educated shots in the dark as to what kind of horse power these things will pack.

Never forget the watchdogs and division reveals. When companies that make the games dont know what kind of hardware they're working with, I never feel confident trying to buy pc parts to match the hypothetical power of a new console.

EDMIX

I feel like waiting a year or two after new consoles drop is usually the best course of action. Before then, most game companies are just taking well educated shots in the dark as to what kind of horse power these things will pack.

Never forget the watchdogs and division reveals. When companies that make the games dont know what kind of hardware they're working with, I never feel confident trying to buy pc parts to match the hypothetical power of a new console.

Agreed.

Next gen consoles always determine what the new minimum specs will be for PC, usually the second year is a good time to build as you'd have lots of AAA 3rd party titles establishing what the minimum is.

Top Bottom