• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New PS5 Pro GPU details emerge - including a 2.35GHz max boost clock

Audiophile

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I can't find an exact post, but I recall it was officially alluded to in the press in June as "PlayStation Neo" (even though the codename had leaked beforehand).

Nice find. Interesting that the article suggests Yoshida was compelled to discuss only because Microsoft announced the One X so early.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I can't find an exact post, but I recall it was officially alluded to in the press in June as "PlayStation Neo" (even though the codename had leaked beforehand).

Thats a good find as I don't remember this

It would be nice if Sony had better more open communication moving forward not under Jim Ryan

Imtjnotu

Thats a good find as I don't remember this

It would be nice if Sony had better more open communication moving forward not under Jim Ryan
they use to do this alot. when jim took over everything sort of stalled out. not going to lie, i miss the days of getting game trailers and announcements two years in advance

they use to do this alot. when jim took over everything sort of stalled out. not going to lie, i miss the days of getting game trailers and announcements two years in advance

Marketing budgets across the economy are reduced.

Marketing costs A LOT of money and can destroy margins.

Sony barely advertised Helldivers 2 and it's on pace to be their most successful game of all time. Social media has changed the dynamic of DTC marketing. Long term marketing campaigns have probably shown not to be worth it.

So while you're angry at Jim Ryan, all he did was listen to the data.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I love early announcements and trailers and getting to follow along how a game gets put together.

Audiophile

Only real reason to hold out on the reveal would be having software demos to show..

Most people inclined towards getting a Pro probably know it's coming already and will either being selling their existing PS5 to get it, will be getting it as a second system or waiting to get it as their first system. I doubt there are many people out there who plan to get a Pro but are buying a base system at this point to bridge the gap. Plus it's a semi-premium device, so letting folks prep their wallets for it is good. Then there's there's the leaks which effectively confirm it anyway.

Even if they're not ready to show it though, an acknowledgement would be perfectly reasonable. Again, I doubt they'd be losing many sales from a slightly earlier official confirmation. I also recall a lot of rumours of a September launch early on, so perhaps it's even closer (*takes hit of hopium*).

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Marketing budgets across the economy are reduced.

Marketing costs A LOT of money and can destroy margins.

Sony barely advertised Helldivers 2 and it's on pace to be their most successful game of all time. Social media has changed the dynamic of DTC marketing. Long term marketing campaigns have probably shown not to be worth it.

So while you're angry at Jim Ryan, all he did was listen to the data.
Were talking about a billion dollar privately owned company here. Yes I understand dropping out of E3's at the time. But a small showcase of early trailers or even a trailer drop on YouTube is hardly anything for them

Were talking about a billion dollar privately owned company here. Yes I understand dropping out of E3's at the time. But a small showcase of early trailers or even a trailer drop on YouTube is hardly anything for them

Creating trailers is a massive workload for teams and games are already taking longer to develop.

The returns aren't worth it far in advance. Again they have the metrics on this.

While it would be my preference to have the old ways, times change.

Same here. Even though it's May, I'd love for a surprise reveal of the Pro. Something to look forward to and knowing it's not vapor ware.

Announcing the PS5 Pro before releasing it will just unduly dry up PS5 sales, which would be really bad since they're trying to clear inventory.

DanielG165

A billion dollar corporation that still doesn’t and won’t spend money on things that aren’t worth it. Trailers are incredibly expensive and resource intensive, and doing a small showcase of just those wouldn’t make sense.

DanielG165

I doubt Sony will tease or allude to the PS5 Pro in any meaningful way this early on, aside from maybe a generic “we’re excited to talk about some of our upcoming hardware in the future.” Directly referencing a PS5 Pro would likely just have people in the know, and may not have a PS5 yet, just wait until the Pro is released to buy a PlayStation. It’d be like if Apple decided to tease that the new iPhone is coming months before the typical Fall announcement and release.

Sony still want to sell people PS5s, and they probably won’t risk cannibalizing said sales for the sake of enthusiast and fan hype. I could always be wrong, though.

boring

unless some new exclusives are announced, maybe a launch version with exceptional build quality would get me in.
then release a more budget-friendly pro slim.

Audiophile

Same here. Even though it's May, I'd love for a surprise reveal of the Pro. Something to look forward to and knowing it's not vapor ware.
A nice lead up strategy would be a few dev diaries spread apart from the big studios on how they're taking advantage of the new technology and the extra power.

orosballs

A nice lead up strategy would be a few dev diaries spread apart from the big studios on how they're taking advantage of the new technology and the extra power.
Yea, that would be neat. Def looking forward to the machine. I've owned the Ps4Pro and the One X, so I'm always happy to get tech that makes games a lil cooler and smoother...

It can't when it was shown the ray and triangle for 3.5 was higher than 3.0. Kepler weeded this about bvh a few weeks back
Was this confirmed for 3.5?

As far as I'm aware only the Pro is using the alleged "BVH8 Traversal Shader" which is an RDNA 4 feature.

which is not RDNA 3 like the other guy suggested
True but it's also the case that the Pro will likely be using a heavily customised APU, and not entirely based off of RDNA 3.5, as Sony have done in the past they'll likely pluck features from future roadmaps, I think this will especially be the case in regards to ray-tracing and machine learning.

Loxus

PS5 is RDNA 2
PS5 RT version is still 1.0 though.
That info was found in AMD's open-source compiler and drivers.

mx7y5Xu.jpeg

Bojji

It's not that PS5 can't be called RDNA2, it's just the PS5 chip was completed before XBSX. Which resulted in the XBSX getting a later version of RT and Rops.

It's first version of RDNA1 (not even 1.1 found in 5500XT) plus first version of hardware RT. I think at best it can be called RDNA2 prototype.

I think AMD completed this + added DX12U features = RDNA2.

Loxus

I think the whole RDNA 1 and 2 debate is pretty much meaningless at this point, I mean... what are the implications exactly?

We've already seen how PS5 and Series X perform respectively.
It's not really meaningless, it keeps our expectations in check.

If the CPU is Zen2, who's to say the GPU isn't still RDNA 2. Only time will tell I guess.

Top Bottom