• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Apple XR manager Bertrand Nepveu, says Apple headset will be “Macintosh moment”

DaGwaphics

Impossible, as you will only use the headset in house. It's totally different from a device you can use in any place and it fits in your pocket. Also, a lot, I mean, A LOT of people can't wear a headset for more than a few minutes. Even if the headset ends being only glasses, a lot of people will not want to wear it, as 3D glasses.

Personally, I think there is an inherent problem with this technology: a lot of people don't want to wear something over the face if it's not strictly necessary.

I think for that general commuting edge, Google glass was a more realistic option than a true headset. I can see something like a modern google glass taking off in work environments (think nurses and doctors using it in place of the rolling computer stands, or even fast food workers streamlining workflow while keeping their hands available for other tasks, etc.). True AR/VR headsets, I just don't see it that much unless they can make the things a lot easier on the eyes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Apple Watch.

Airpods

$1000 monitor stand. (Monitor sold separately)

Apple Watch and Airpods I'd give you. Thanks for that. And of the two, I'd say the APPLE watch is the only one they jumped into and pushed the market forword on. Airpods, not so much. They are successful, but others were either already there or are just as good of not better.

Amiga

Apple never made an exiting thing since Steve Jobs died. And the content they produced on Apple arcade is bland.

Fbh

If it's really $3K I don't see how it could truly have mass market appeal. It will be for businesses

Cyberpunkd

Nepveu, who was in charge before leaving in 2021, believes that in ten years the VR device will be an extension of the person the same as the smartphone is today.
You mean people can be even more disconnected from one another than right now? That’s a bold claim.
Sure, can't wait for a fully locked up device that only works with apple apps/products.
You mean like a PlayStation? Or an Xbox? Or Nintendo? Can you hook up a different wheel, or an engine to your car as well?

hemo memo

Gold Member
We are talking about Apple crowd here. They bought a computer wheel for $700. Price wouldn’t be an issue for them.

hemo memo

Gold Member
You mean people can be even more disconnected from one another than right now? That’s a bold claim.

You mean like a PlayStation? Or an Xbox? Or Nintendo? Can you hook up a different wheel, or an engine to your car as well?
Yes? Different wheels from the very expensive to the cheap. Same for engines and same for batteries. You are not locked to one company.

CGNoire

For that price it better be 8k,180fov, come with 2 fully haptic gloves, 2 feet sensors and a VR gun with holster. Also better throw in a vibrating haptic vest while there at it.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Apple is the strongest brand in the world, they could sell a literal paper weight for 200 dollars and it would be sold out.

AR > VR
If apple can pull it off, good for them.

adamosmaki

So overpriced, niche with a small market share and clueless fanbase with limited understanding of hardware that will buy anything apple pitch to them?

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I think for that general commuting edge, Google glass was a more realistic option than a true headset. I can see something like a modern google glass taking off in work environments (think nurses and doctors using it in place of the rolling computer stands, or even fast food workers streamlining workflow while keeping their hands available for other tasks, etc.). True AR/VR headsets, I just don't see it that much unless they can make the things a lot easier on the eyes.

I wonder if the solution to this is some kind of wearable mini projector. Something with the form factor that Google glass was supposed to have, but instead of a display in front of your eyes, its a tiny projector that projects pictures directly into your eyes. This might also be a way to get around the eyesight issue for people who wear glasses. Maybe the projector could even be attached to someone’s normal glasses, so that they can wear both simultaneously.

To turn such a mini projector it into a VR device, all you‘d need to do is put some kind of covering over the eyes to keep light from the outside out.

Last edited:

sachos

Man it better be an insane leap at 3k. If they could sell it for 1k, the price of an Iphone Pro then i think their fans would buy in an instant.

I concede. The 3 people still buying Sony Xperia phones is surely a game changer and will bring forth the second coming of the 3.5mm jack.

It may not even be controversial to say the majority of flagships from phone companies worldwide have headphone jacks.

You just refuse to imagine smartphones outside of Samsung and Apple.

Regardless of your attempt to add "numbers" to it (most people don't own flagships) yes there are million of phones with HJ.

If it's really $3K I don't see how it could truly have mass market appeal. It will be for businesses

Apple said they are targeting consumers in the other thread.

You quoted the wrong person, I wasn't the one who made that post.

Kadve

So an overpriced thing that's objectively bad and only becomes big because everything else was slightly worse? Sounds about right.

Last edited:

sendit

It may not even be controversial to say the majority of flagships from phone companies worldwide have headphone jacks.

You just refuse to imagine smartphones outside of Samsung and Apple.

Regardless of your attempt to add "numbers" to it (most people don't own flagships) yes there are million of phones with HJ.

Apple said they are targeting consumers in the other thread.

You quoted the wrong person, I wasn't the one who made that post.

Right....Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, and Huawei have all but ditched the 3.5 MM on their flagship phones. I don't refuse to recognize other companies. I will however refuse to use that as a data point for an argument to get a point across because of the 3 people that are still buying phones with 3.5 mm jacks.

Ref: https://www.oberlo.com/statistics/smartphone-market-share

Last edited:
Right....Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, and Huawei have all but ditched the 3.5 MM on their flagship phones.

I mean you already were in a hole by shifting to flagship in the first place (both for the goal move and the fact they aren't the majority of phones sold), but your argument falls apart when your whole position is based on numbers and access, when most people worldwide don't have Samsung and Apple top of the line flag ship phones, and likely have a more affordable android phone, including from some of those brands you listed, which often have Head phone jacks.

Then you have the flagships for other brands that also have head phone jacks.

Which results in a humongous amount of smartphone users still using phone with headphone jacks , and arguably the majority of people with smartphones worldwide. Even some of Samsungs alternative models have it. Putting egg on your face because you keep talking about "3 people" when it's the phones your talking about that's actually 3 people. What's more is you link to a list of brands pretending none of those sell phones with HJ's to be intentionally misleading.

I would like to remind you of your original statement,

All the VR naysayers, physical DVD/BluRay buyers, Playstation dedicated handled device aficionados, and 3.5 mm jack users are going to need some prescription based pain meds when this drops.

As much as people want to keep pushing (for what 5 years now?) that HJ is dead, it's not, and is still in many phones, and arguably the majority, but without numbers that's hard to say.

Iphones and Samsung Fold 4's and S23's aren't the only phones that are sold worldwide. Maybe if we were talking only about US top and mid brands this argument might make sense, but we are talking about worldwide here.

2022 only 9.6 million VR headsets SHIPPED not sold, GLOBALLY.

Last edited:

sendit

I mean you already were in a hole by shifting to flagship in the first place (both for the goal move and the fact they aren't the majority of phones sold), but your argument falls apart when your whole position is based on numbers and access, when most people worldwide don't have Samsung and Apple top of the line flag ship phones, and likely have a more affordable android phone, including from some of those brands you listed, which often have Head phone jacks.

Then you have the flagships for other brands that also have head phone jacks.

Which results in a humongous amount of smartphone users still using phone with headphone jacks , and arguably the majority of people with smartphones worldwide. Even some of Samsungs alternative models have it. Putting egg on your face because you keep talking about "3 people" when it's the phones your talking about that's actually 3 people. What's more is you link to a list of brands pretending none of those sell phones with HJ's to be intentionally misleading.

I would like to remind you of your original statement,

As much as people want to keep pushing (for what 5 years now?) that HJ is dead, it's not, and is still in many phones, and arguably the majority, but without numbers that's hard to say.

Iphones and Samsung Fold 4's and S23's aren't the only phones that are sold worldwide. Maybe if we were talking only about US top and mid brands this argument might make sense, but we are talking about worldwide here.

2022 only 9.6 million VR headsets SHIPPED not sold, GLOBALLY.

It's called an exaggeration. But yes, please go on with this straw-man argument. You get a gold star. The headphone jack lives on.

It's called an exaggeration. But yes, please go on with this straw-man argument. You get a gold star. The headphone jack lives on.

Exaggeration?

is that why you responded to another user like this snapping back at them immediately,

Yeah they are. Sony's.
I concede. The 3 people still buying Sony Xperia phones is surely a game changer and will bring forth the second coming of the 3.5mm jack.
Of course not, they're niche phones. I was just answering the statement which was wrong.

No one was talking about a second coming or anything.

Anyway your point was you believe Apple will be the new standard and prove everyone wrong.

I believe that's a possibility. We won't know until WWDC though.

Top Bottom