• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Four more prisons for gay men have been found in Chechnya

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Bus

Banned
You know.. I wish we could move past this fucked up way of thinking. It's so sad.

Everyone deserves to be happy.

HeelPower

Why is this government so obsessed with gays ?

Usually they're a minority that tries super hard to stay hidden in these regions. How could they manage to fill 8 prisons with just gays ?

Wtf is going on.

Biske

Usually they're a minority that tries super hard to stay hidden in these regions. How could they manage to fill 8 prisons with just gays ?

Wtf is going on.

Along with the actual gay hate, I wouldn't doubt if as they are going about with their monstrosities they round up other dissidents under the gay umbrella.

nynt9

Let this be a reminder to many of you. I know you won't think on it much. But I think about this kind of thing every day.

This is what it's really like to be a minority in this world.

Your life is worth nothing. To the vast majority of the planet you can commit wanton genocide and nobody will lift a finger. Target the right people.

Being gay is fucking terrifying. Because you never know when some loon that thinks like these supposedly far off people in this supposedly far off place will just pop off and start killing even in your own back yard.

Shits scary, and it's important to remember and think on how little progress we as a species have made.

For all our new devices and services, were still willing to kill each other over absolutely nothing.

This. Plus the fact that this thread has kinda fallen to the wayside goes to show how much attention is being paid to this.

StayDead

All those people who were like "if I were alive I would've done different" for things like the holocaust and the Armenian genocide have a lot to fuckin think about while this happens during their lifetimes.

This is absolutely abhorrent. Fuck the world.

This isn't the only genocide happening right now too. People just don't seem to care enough to stop it.

It's abhorrent :(

Piichan

Banned
Wait, how does this even work? They are arrested for some other unrelated crime? Or is being gay illegal? Or is this some straight up nazi-style rounding up of people and sending them off?

This is insane.

You're right, I misinterpreted what I read about the state earlier. It's not rogue, just that the Russian government lets it be run as an Islamic theocracy despite it being against Russia's constitution.

Chechnya is not an islamic theocracy by any stretch. It's a colonial state controlled by Moscow to domesticate the chechens. Kadyrov is basically another Assad (he even sent troops to support Assad in Syria). The country is controlled by a mafia and Kadyrov is it's leader.

I recommend a great documentary of Al Jazeera about the current situation in Chechenya, really horrible stuff.

nynt9

Wait, how does this even work? They are arrested for some other unrelated crime? Or is being gay illegal? Or is this some straight up nazi-style rounding up of people and sending them off?

This is insane.

Seems like straight up nazi style rounding people up, from what it seems.

weekev

Banned
Jesus fuck. Concentration camps folks. If we don't stop them or sanction them in some way we are saying we are ok with concentration camps because of your chemical and genetic makeup. Fuck sake, how do we stop this shit? I feel fucking powerless.

Ponn

Banned
Don't look at US world, we're too busy picking a fight with NK at the moment. Then we got Iran and that sweet oil war profiteering.

The responses in this thread are off the chain. "Fuck this world/humanity" etc etc. You guys do realize this is happening in a shitty part of a already shitty country that the EU is already sanctioning the shit out of. Meanwhile there are other countries were the most pressing LGBT issues are whether or not trans people receive the proper pronoun.

Here's the truth, the world is, overall, better than any time in history. These things always happened except on a far larger scale. The only difference is that with modern media technology we can be more exposed to every remaining wrongdoing across the globe in a way that was never possible before. And from an activist perspective, that is certainly a good thing. Just don't pretend things are getting worse.

Monocle

The responses in this thread are off the chain. "Fuck this world/humanity" etc etc. You guys do realize this is happening in a shitty part of a already shitty country that the EU is already sanctioning the shit out of. Meanwhile there are other countries were the most pressing LGBT issues are whether or not trans people receive the proper pronoun.

Here's the truth, the world is, overall, better than any time in history. These things always happened except on a far larger scale. The only difference is that with modern media technology we can be more exposed to every remaining wrongdoing across the globe in a way that was never possible before. And from an activist perspective, that is certainly a good thing. Just don't pretend things are getting worse.
Can't be repeated enough. It's a good thing that modern media allows us to hear about distant atrocities, because we should be informed about the state of our world so that we never forget how precarious human rights and personal liberty can be, especially for groups that society deems outside the norm. But a steady feed of bad news can have a warping effect on our worldview. It doesn't do us any good to get too cynical.

Change is possible. The key is to draw attention to the persecuted, arouse public sympathy, and create pressure to hold the brutes accountable.

Nikodemos

Chechnya is not an islamic theocracy by any stretch. It's a colonial state controlled by Moscow to domesticate the chechens. Kadyrov is basically another Assad (he even sent troops to support Assad in Syria). The country is controlled by a mafia and Kadyrov is it's leader.

I recommend a great documentary of Al Jazeera about the current situation in Chechenya, really horrible stuff.
And it has Soviet Union era laws regarding passports and travel for its citizens, so it's nearly impossible for a Chechen citizen to leave without resorting to human traffickers.

Also, despite some incentives the Russian government offers ethnic Russians to settle in Chechnya (and Dagestan or Ingushetia), there has been a steady outflow of ethnic Russians from the area in the past years; evidently the Russian gov't tries to censor news regarding this.

I don't even know what to say. It's between "something HAS to be done about this", because it fucking does, and "fuck this world", because it's been proven time and time again that people don't care. The hopelessness is disheartening to say the least.

PLEASE do something about this. Someone. United Nations. ANYONE.

A little edit to thank the local newspapers and human rights organizations for their Heroic work out there.

Why is Moscow not doing anything to rein them in? Do they just not care?

Too many chechen troops in Syria, I guess Putin doesn't want to start a conflict over this which is really fucked up, hopefully they realize how bad this looks and Putin can bribe Kadyrov somehow.

What country is this where that's the most pressing LGBT issue?
I seem to remember the worst mass killing since 9/11 targeting gay men last year as well.

Let's not act like just because there are some laws in place that it's suddenly fine to be on the LGBT spectrum in this country unless you luck out and live with accepting people.

LGBT suicide still damn near triples the general rate.

We still have problems that go far far deeper than arguing about pronouns. Hell even in America trans people are routinely beaten to death for existing.

I seem to remember the worst mass killing since 9/11 targeting gay men last year as well.

Let's not act like just because there are some laws in place that it's suddenly fine to be on the LGBT spectrum in this country unless you luck out and live with accepting people.

LGBT suicide still damn near triples the general rate.

We still have problems that go far far deeper than arguing about pronouns. Hell even in America trans people are routinely beaten to death for existing.

Don't get me wrong, america isn't on the high tier list for this stuff. Still though, people need to realize that the world is taking 2 steps forward for every one step back. "If it bleeds, it leads" is blinding people to the fact that there are powerful forces for good at work in the world.

lazygecko

Wtf is going on.

There's likely a lot of symbolism involved. LGBT rights have come to be viewed as a microcosm of the evil western liberal agenda to undermine their society, and this sentiment is particularly capitalized on in backwater eastern Europe.

SKINNER!

Banned
There's likely a lot of symbolism involved. LGBT rights have come to be viewed as a microcosm of the evil western liberal agenda to undermine their society, and this sentiment is particularly capitalized on in backwater eastern Europe.

Isn't it also coupled with the state religion? Russian Orthodox (and Islam with the context of Chechnya) tends to not tolerate the LGBT community in their countries. And given those state religions are part of the country's identity then the LGBT community is seen as an enemy to state and religion.

Why is Moscow not doing anything to rein them in? Do they just not care?

Clearly you've been drinking the "Putin is a great guy!" Kool-aid.

I think everyone in Chechnya who is not openly gay is probably a closeted homosexual.

It is a tough thing to research, at least ethically, but a scientific link has been proven by this 1996 study.

Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies.

Costa Kid

It's amazing that Star Trek and shows like it depict the future as a utopia with no hatred, crime or discriminations. I feel like this will never occur, or within the foreseeable future anyway. This is so sad. I don't understand what drives people to think this way.

Koozek

Thanks for the link. Watching right now. Didn't know anything about the country before, some really terrible shit going on there :/

Razmos

It's amazing that Star Trek and shows like it depict the future as a utopia with no hatred, crime or discriminations. I feel like this will never occur, or within the foreseeable future anyway. This is so sad. I don't understand what drives people to think this way.
Religion, usually.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Because it's easier to blame other people for your problems than it is to figure out how to improve yourself.

Drain You

Makes me feel absolutely horrible for people of that orientation in the region. Hopefully something will change In the near future. Nobody deserves this sort of treatment based on something as silly as who they like. Also I hope there are no bad repercussions for the people reporting on this in the area.

I rewatched all of Star Trek recently and I was surprised with how many topics they picked up on that were much ahead of their time. Really is a great show among many other reasons. Not only did the depict utopias and no discrimination and such but they actively condemned discrimination against same sex relationships, or inter species relationships and stuff like that if I'm remembering correctly.

People forget that homo sapiens is an EXTREMELY tribal species. Much more than any other animal on the planet. Monkeys routinely attack other monkeys from other groups that stray into their territory, lions will slaughter the cubs of their mates if the cubs are from another male lion. We aren't any different. Its very hard wired in our genes to fight or flight when we encounter things different to us (=scary).

Sure, thousands of years of civilization has overcome small bits of that, but its really only in the last hundred or so years where lots of people on the planet live with people very different than themselves. It doesn't take much to convince people that you are in danger, and the danger is everyone not like you.

molnizzle

So many posters on GAF don't seem to understand this. I can only assume they're young kids and/or ignorant about history.

Ogodei

Why is this not getting any attention? Absolutely horrifying.

Partly because there's nothing to be done. You think Putin's going to go out of his way to stop this? Especially when it would mean stepping on Kadyrov's toes, and Kadyrov's the only thing holding Chechnya together from flying apart at the seams.

You could try to hurt Kadyrov directly with sanctions, but in terms of direct action there's very little to do when the state actor won't take responsibility (but the state actor can also pass off blame to the local government, like if foreigners complained to Washington about the Flint water crisis).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom