• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Planet 2 is out NOW!

Nautilus

Banned
Kind of out of nowhere. Where is the marketing for this game?

Liked the first game, and though it was better than any Sonic game out there. Once my backlog is free, and the game gets a nice discount, I'll get it.

Crayon

It's the the best sonic game dude!
alien-kill-me.gif

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Please nobody call freedom planet the "best sonic game". I can't drink at work and the only other option is to slam my head in a door.
Yar, best Sonic game is Spark the Electric Jester (and best 3D Sonic game Spark 3) :messenger_smirking:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, it's been a looooong wait. Hope it turned out well. I'm pretty bogged down and can't play it at the moment, so... hopefully between now and whenever I am ready, they put it out on GOG.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So other of games try to emulate the feel of 16 bit, the issue is they always feel like a Nintendo game, freedom planet feels like a 16 bit SEGA title which sets it apart, it feels like a treasure title if I had to put my finger on it.
The first game felt 16 bit sure, but the 3d areas, smoother animation and scaling of this title makes me feel like they were trying to emulate Treasure's 32 bit titles. Think Mischief Makers.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
That's refreshing though. I found out about this two days prior to release, as opposed to getting a year or two of constant reminders.

I bought it and I'm gonna play it in a few
I just worry that the game won't sell as much as it deserves, and that hinders galaxy trail from making more games

Holammer

Tried the first game and it's really good. The Sonic OC & story stuff dragged it down.
Now in retrospect I understand the writer must've been very inspired by Ken Penders era Sonic.

Labolas

Um, okaaaaaaaaaay?

It's funny that the demo came out five years before the full game. I get it, you read it as an attack because I put a 'lol' on the end but chill out lol
I'm chill and I was just being dismissive that's all. It just your post did come off as aggressive if that wasn't your intention, then apologies.

Just based off the opening level, the level design in this game seems a lot more complex than the first one, but perhaps also more chaotic. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet but it's the main thing I noted. Enemies seem more like pricks then the first game, they don't really give you a chance to attack first and many of them turn their bodies into hurtboxes so better off avoiding many of them.

The art in the game is really beautiful, better than the first one. Whoever said it felt more like a 32-bit 2D platformer was right... Well, it's a bit beyond that, but y'know. Maybe in some other world where we get really good 2D platformers on Dreamcast.

The music is also excellent. Just based off what I've heard it's better than the first game again.

Just based off the presentation here I can see how it took them so long to release the thing.

Edit:

Gahaha there's an inn in the royal palace hub that I got stuck in because Carol kept running in front of the exit and blocking the prompt. Nice. I like this so far but they didn't need to do these hubs... the dialogue was like the #1 complaint people had with the first game and this only exaccerbates the issue.

Edit2:

This background on the museum level... If you play it you'll know what I'm talking about... Man I think I need to lie down for a while...

Last edited:
Played through 5 levels now. I have to be a bit critical, I think the game is overextravagant in terms of the level design and visuals. The levels are more ambitious in scope with more gimmicks and routes, but often things don't quite work as well as it feels they should. Visually it's gorgeous but also gaudy, or to put it better it's too noisy.

The bosses are also a little poorly designed sometimes. Some of them have moves that seem undodgeable. But then others are totally fine. The worst boss so far was the stage 5 boss (going in difficulty order), the baseball guys

Right now my opinion is that this game is worse than the original, but I don't think it's bad either. I replayed a few levels from the original to confirm my opinions (stages 1, 2 and 7) so I feel pretty confident about that.

Oh yeah, and I was going to play more but I couldn't figure out how to progress in a hub lol I really do not like these hubs. I just want to play some levels man...

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Alright so I didn't get that far at all in the first game, and I couldn't force myself to finish Sonic Mania, so should I even bother with this one?

Bwesh

Wait, did Filipinos make this? Cos Bakunawa is a our moon eating snake myth.

The [I]Bakunawa[/I], a huge serpent-like dragon that coiled around the earth and ruled the oceans, first fell in love with the heavenly magnificence of the "seven sisters" such that he envied the almighty for his creations. But to the people of earth's collective dismay and disappointment, the dragon swallowed the moons one by one, each night, as he yearned to possess them all. This growing yearning turned into envy and greed, so the Bakunawa arose again and again from the waters to swallow the moons. The towering, ferocious dragon successfully devoured all—but one.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Is this game any good or worth bothering with?

Yes... it's much harder than you would expect though (again feels just like a treasure title) the level design is not as strait forward as you might expect with plenty of backtracking to get up higher to continue on.

BEWARE the story is... what you would expect from a Sonic OC project, however once your in the stages the damn thing is glorious.

Also why the FUCK are they not selling the soundtrack on steam? This thing slaps reminds me of my Mega CD.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Yes... it's much harder than you would exspect though (again feels just like a treasure title) the level design is not as strait forward as you might expect with plenty of backtracking to get up higher to continue on.

BEWARE the story is... what you would expect from a Sonic OC project, however once your in the stages the damn thing is glorious.

Also why the FUCK are they not selling the soundtrack on steam? This thing slaps reminds me of my Mega CD.

That's pretty snazzy!

Went to check Xbox and it's not there, guess it is not coming to Xbox, ah well!

Top Bottom