• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friendship = Lots of Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Least for me. Ive got some friends who do nothing but keep me guessing on their mood towards me. Hot n Cold all the fuck time. Its really nerve wracking. It seems wrong to me cause I have friends who I can actually KNOW I am cool with.

This isnt to say I dont want these friends but I hate the stupid rollercoaster. A lot of it is some low level paranioa tho.

Just seems like a lot of damned work for nothing with some people. You can try to please but then bam! irrational issues!

dem

Sounds like you have too many female friends...

Or else your guy friends are insane and should be ditched..

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I had something really witty to say here, then I lost it. Damn concussions and associated memory loss!

mrmyth

Get in a relationship with a crazy bitch. Have said crazy bitch put you through the emotional wringer, leave crazy bitch, watch her commit fake-suicide-as-a-call-for-help, and then have crazy bitch top off the breakup with trumped-up legal charges that you have to fight a year. This will help you ditch anybody who plays unncessary social games within a picosecond of the start of said social games, completely guilt-free.

Worked for me.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It's only a lot of work to be a good friend, its much easier to be a bad one. Not giving a shit if they like you or not, thats the first step, alternatively you can just do the arrogant thing and think "yeah they love me" no matter how they act towards you.

I know what you are saying with the paranoia and stuff, i had a lot of friends that made me feel like that in high school, i did take the approach of telling them "look if ive pissed you off just tell me and we'll talk, otherwise ill assume nothing wrong" but that kinda backfired a couple of months later when one of them told me i had pissed her off and i wasnt in the mood so i just yeah "Yeah? Well boo fucking hoo" (actual words), yea i had to kiss major ass to get out of that hole.

Im the kind of person that likes to talk shit out, a third of my friends are the kind that dont. Makes it hard.

They're good friends, but I wish they'd try and realize what not saying shit can do.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think I've been lucky friendship-wise. All my friends just accept the fact we are each others friends and assume the best. Sometimes me and someone else from the group will go a month without seeing each other or even talking and when we hang out again it'll all be perfectly normal. We're friends because we like hanging out with each other, not to fill some void in ourselves. I mean yeah we'll support each other if we're going through hard times or something, but guess overall it's cool because we just don't complain about life very much so none of us gets pissed if someone isn't calling us every other day so we can cry to them.

Guzim

My friends are being a bunch of assholes to me because I didn't want to go out with them last night and play Q-Zar (lazer tag). My friend told me today that they were going to egg my car but he convinced them not to.

Any ideas on how to get them back?

Lil' Dice

Banned
Friends are overrated. They're nothing but temporary filler until you become romantically involved with a member of the opposite sex....
I only have a select group of friends, maybe 3-4 that i hang out with wne i'm not with the gf....

bjork

MrAngryFace said:
Im the kind of person that likes to talk shit out, a third of my friends are the kind that dont. Makes it hard.

They're good friends, but I wish they'd try and realize what not saying shit can do.

I recently ran into a situation like this. You just have to know that when people don't want to talk, you wanting to talk even more won't convince them. I think that once you know someone is your friend in the way you define friendship, you take it as such and don't push things. If you constantly harp on one thing over and over, it tends to piss people off when you're totally not trying to.

But yeah... I'd love to talk for hours with some people, and it's hard when they kind of keep things under wraps, I agree.

Tenguman

My guide to friends:

-Don't live with them
-Take a break from them once in a while. Hanging out with them too much leads to the same troubles that living with them does -- only takes more time
-Don't sell them anything of yours
-Loan them money ONLY if it's a emergency. Even in this case, it's iffy. Little loans (money for food or movies) is ok
-Don't borrow money from them unless it's a emergency. Even in this case, it's iffy.
-If a chick is involved, avoid hanging out with that friend. Typically, people are friends because they have similar interests, etc etc. If you hang with a friend who has a chick too often, you're bound to fall for that same chick.
-Don't date a friend unless you 100% damn sure you're going to marry (how the hell are you going to know that?)
-Be GOOD to your friends. Friends help each other out when they can, no questions asked. Though that doesn't mean you always have to say yes when asked for a favor. Just make sure its in the bounds of your own personal morals and life.

Alucard

Banned
I have some really cool friends, and some friends that seem to be stuck in high school and are REALLY clingy...constantly wanting things to be "like the good old days." It's like I need to fill some kind of "hanging out" quota with these types of friends for them to consider me a good friend.

Most of my male friends are cool though. We talk about this shit all the time. Basically, we understand that we've all got our own lives to live and our general attitude towards eachother is "I'll see ya when I see ya."

bjork

When I'm done hanging out or whatever, I always like to end with a concrete goodbye, just in case I die or something before I see them again. I don't like the idea of being mad at someone or vice versa, and never having the chance to let them know that I think they're cool or mean a lot to me or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom