• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck Switch online DRM

Hey GAF. Normally I don't make negative threads but I'm infuriated over what happened yesterday. A co worker asked me to bring my Switch to work yesterday, which I did, and just as I was about to play Smash against him...the fucking game wouldn't work! I tried many things to get it working like Match Version and stuff...but it kept telling me that I "needed to be connected to the internet". Fast forward to the end of the work day, I tried out other games too, same bullshit issue. So reluctantly I turned my phone into a hotspot to see if connecting the Switch to it would fix the problem and it did...while I was connected to the internet. I had a blast playing/demonstrating to my co workers The Wonderful 101 for example. But then when I came home and investigated my Nintendo Account, turns out one of the locations was from Brazil. So in short, my Nintendo Account was hacked, and the only way I can currently play my paid for software is by connecting to the Internet. I looked more into it and I need to deregister the other primary console, the one from the hacker in Brazil, and set mine to the primary. But the button is greyed out. When I get the chance I want to contact customer support and see if they can possibly help me access my paid for software, digital and physical without needing to be tethered to the internet all the time. Sigh

update: I chatted the Customer Support and they helped me reset my Switch to the primary console. With the changed password and Two Factor authentication in place now, I hope this doesn't happen to me or anyone else.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No chance of switching your Switch as a "home console"? Is it a thing or not?

No chance of switching your Switch as a "home console"? Is it a thing or not?
I can't currently, the button to set my Switch to the primary console is greyed out. I don't know how long it will take until the button can appear again, which is why I gotta get in touch with Nintendo's customer support when I can to sort this out.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I can't currently, the button to set my Switch to the primary console is greyed out. I don't know how long it will take until the button can appear again, which is why I gotta get in touch with Nintendo's customer support when I can to sort this out.
Oh well that would happened with others I believe as well, however I believe you can pretty easily appeal that decision, especially if 2FA is set.

cormack12

Gold Member
It's probably greyed out to stop you doing it multiple times quickly. Sony do the same when you deactivate all devices. This isn't DRM really, it's account security. Unfortunately it rests on your shoulders (2FA). Not much help really but I do sympathise, it's shit when stuff like this happens to you. Am sure Nintendo will help you out.

It's probably greyed out to stop you doing it multiple times quickly. Sony do the same when you deactivate all devices. This isn't DRM really, it's account security. Unfortunately it rests on your shoulders (2FA). Not much help really but I do sympathise, it's shit when stuff like this happens to you. Am sure Nintendo will help you out
Was the 2FA always an option, or did Nintendo only establish it after the April 2020 hack, which I and many others were presumably targeted in?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This is where Nintendo fails this is where they punish their players because of their online feeling.

wipeout364

Hey GAF. Normally I don't make negative threads but I'm infuriated over what happened yesterday. A co worker asked me to bring my Switch to work yesterday, which I did, and just as I was about to play Smash against him...the fucking game wouldn't work! I tried many things to get it working like Match Version and stuff...but it kept telling me that I "needed to be connected to the internet". Fast forward to the end of the work day, I tried out other games too, same bullshit issue. So reluctantly I turned my phone into a hotspot to see if connecting the Switch to it would fix the problem and it did...while I was connected to the internet. I had a blast playing/demonstrating to my co workers The Wonderful 101 for example. But then when I came home and investigated my Nintendo Account, turns out one of the locations was from Brazil. So in short, my Nintendo Account was hacked, and the only way I can currently play my paid for software is by connecting to the Internet. I looked more into it and I need to deregister the other primary console, the one from the hacker in Brazil, and set mine to the primary. But the button is greyed out. When I get the chance I want to contact customer support and see if they can possibly help me access my paid for software, digital and physical without needing to be tethered to the internet all the time. Sigh

update: I chatted the Customer Support and they helped me reset my Switch to the primary console. With the changed password and Two Factor authentication in place now, I hope this doesn't happen to me or anyone else.
Sounds terrible and frustrating , I’m glad they got it sorted out for you.

Chukhopops

Im curious how you got hacked, did they guess your password or find it from another breach or was there some kind of phishing operation?

Yeah, this shit sucks.
My biggest complaint is the cloud saves. I had a Switch Lite for a bit, and it is definitely a better handheld then the standard Switch but having to manually download my saves made me sell it. Which sucks because if they release a Switch pro that is docked only then getting a Lite could give me the best of both worlds.

Jeeves

I'm glad they fixed it quickly, but that must have been so confusing. I keep my Switch at home, so for all I know I could've been hacked a long time ago and still not know it. That's pretty creepy.

Top Bottom