• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Motion video battle: Square Enix vs Blizzard

Mrbob

9995_1.jpg

war3tft.jpg

vs

10.jpg

yunaface2.jpg

Who wins? I choose Blizzard. Square Enix FMV is very sexy, but I don't think it matches the attention to detail between character modeling and enviroments like Blizzard pumps out. The FMV included with Warcraft III and The Frozen Throne are insane. Best I've ever seen.

Discuss.

Here is a link to the Warcraft III cinematic trailer for those who haven't seen Blizzard FMV:

http://www.blizzard.com/war3/movies/

firex

That second Blizzard pic isn't even FMV and I still like it a lot.

But it's practically a toss-up for me.

RiZ III

Blizzard. But ur comparison is a bit unfair. Didnt WC3 come out considerably later than FFX? Plus, Square was going for a different style.

im gonna go with Blizzard. they seem to have much better attention to detail. especially when you consider when that War Craft III CG ws made.

Mrbob

firex said:
That second Blizzard pic isn't even FMV and I still like it a lot.

But it's practically a toss-up for me.

Yup I know I tried sneaking it in to see if someone would notice. :D

Blizzard. But ur comparison is a bit unfair. Didnt WC3 come out considerably later than FFX? Plus, Square was going for a different style.

You can use later games too like SSX did with FF12. FF12 FMV looks damn good too. Wonder how it animates though? Any links to the trailer? One thing I love about Blizzard FMV is not only how good it looks, but also how well it animates.

explodet

I'm frankly surprised I haven't seen this topic before! (If I did I missed it)

As for the question, I may have to give the edge to Square here.

Mrbob

The FF12 FMV looks very good, but let me offer you this link to show you what I mean between Blizzard FMV and Square Enix FMV:

http://www.blizzard.com/wow/movies/

Artistically, they both look great. Take a look at that ECTS 2001 (!!!!) World of Warcraft Cinematics trailer. The animation is superb and it is nearly three years old! The characters in the FF12 FMV look and animate a bit stiff in comparison. Or take a look at the cinematic trailer for warcraft III in one of my first posts.

Until I see something to beat the FF8 ending and erase the relatively crappy Diablo 2 cinematics from my mind, Square-enix all the way.

jett

D-Member
Square...but I really haven't played many Blizzard games besides Starcraft and a few other ones. :p I'd put Namco up there too for the stuff they did on the PSX.

Mrbob

neptunes said:
by what terms are you comparing them by?

Quality of visuals?
Story told through FMV's?

Quality of visuals. Not only in stills but also in animation.

Running tally I see so far for those who have voted one way or the other:

Blizzard - 10
Square - 6

Mrbob

element said:
Blizzard!!!

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/war3/demos/War3-Movie-Trailer.avi

watch this, I mean come on. It is amazing.

I think it is fairly obvious myself too. I always thought Square had the best FMV in the biz until I played through Warcraft III and The Frozen Throne. There are a mere few games which blow me away in the quality of FMV. FF7 was one of them. Soul Blade was another. Warcraft III and TFT FMV take things to a new level. You can see the attention to detail in the short 29 second clip you posted. Too bad it only shows small snippets. The actual game has some longer fmv cut scenes and they are absolutely gorgeous. I usually don't care about FMV in games but WC3 and TFT make you sit back and take notice! The Frozen Throne intro is simply amazing as well.

cuccoo

There is a reason why Blizzard create those stand alone cinematics DVD.

+1 Blizzard, but its only slightly ahead of Square.

Mrbob said:
There are a mere few games which blow me away in the quality of FMV. FF7 was one of them. Soul Blade was another. Warcraft III and TFT FMV take things to a new level.

The WoW opening cinematic kicks the ass of Warcraft III and TFT FMV.

Seriously, I'm the biggest Square whore on the entire Internet, and I'm voting Blizzard. This should tell you something! FFX, X-2, and XII all look good, but Blizzard has recently entered a WHOLE nother level.

JackFrost2012 said:
The WoW opening cinematic kicks the ass of Warcraft III and TFT FMV.

Seriously, I'm the biggest Square whore on the entire Internet, and I'm voting Blizzard. This should tell you something! FFX, X-2, and XII all look good, but Blizzard has recently entered a WHOLE nother level.

Technically i'm sure Blizzards are better, but just as a visual package I prefer Square's. All I have to do is watch Square's Deep Dive to show me why they're untouchable as far as FMV goes.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ROBOT really owns them both (I mean, come on, just watch Oni 3 intro and tell me anything else even compares), but out of Square and Blizzard, considering that Square did Flight of the Osiris and FF:TSW, and say they win.

SolidSnakex said:
Technically i'm sure Blizzards are better, but just as a visual package I prefer Square's. All I have to do is watch Square's Deep Dive to show me why they're untouchable as far as FMV goes.

Deep Dive is really, really good. Probably the best thing Square's done. But the WoW cinematic is EVEN BETTER. Somebody find a cam capture of it, please!

Tellaerin

I'd give Blizzard the nod for technical execution, but Square scores higher on style. So I'd say Square over Blizzard, but only by a narrow margin.

Top Bottom