• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G/A/F? student art project mistaken for new message from The Zodiac Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

635972868683526089-Zodiac-.jpg

Police in Tallahassee, Florida were on high alert after a message appeared on a sidewalk that looked very similar to the writing and cryptograms written by the Zodiac serial killer in the late 1960s and early 1970s in Northern California. The Zodiac Killer's identity is still unknown. Here's the message:

“You were wrong. I am not dead or in the hospital. I’m alive and well and I’m going to start killing again."

Turns out, the message was part of an assignment on serial killers and drug cartels in a Florida State University class. According to the Tallahassee Democrat, "the assignment was to write a message in a public forum, take a picture and send it to (professor Iheoma) Nwachukwu.

http://boingboing.net/2016/05/11/new-message-from-zodiac-killer.html

Well, I hope that student got an A+

It happened in Florida.

Which is hilarious given the Zodiac never killed anyone outside of Northern California.

Yeah, but Florida shares the same country as California. So it's clearly the only obviously choice of the three. Atop of that this is a case of bad art causing a kerfuffle, another very American thing as of recent. So I just don't see how the answer could be anything besides Florida. In fact I knew it was Florida by the first 4 words alone.

Oh it's "Art".

I can't blame the cops for this one.

The whole thing with serial killer imagery is really interesting to be honest. Like, the layer of symbols and meanings form both real and fictional sources that have melded into this very popular iconography representing this very untrustworthy image of a serial killer. I love it, and i'd have loved to do something like this.

It's kind of interesting on a second level too, because the Zodiac Killer is himself a very strong influence on that kind of imagery. But the cops probably inferred that it was his message because of his place as an icon in the first place. Very cool.

Yeah, but Florida shares the same country as California. So it's clearly the only obviously choice of the three. Atop of that this is a case of bad art causing a kerfuffle, another very American thing as of recent. So I just don't see how the answer could be anything besides Florida. In fact I knew it was Florida by the first 4 words alone.

G/A/F can also be Georgia/Alabama/Florida, though.

Guevara

I'm sorry for letting you down :-(

This seems like it should be illegal. How is it not going to cause a public disturbance?

I used to leave "killer's notes" in bibles in motel/hotel rooms. I wonder if one ever prompt a police call. I was such an awful adolescent. I should probably be in jail.

Nanashrew

Banned

I remember this. It also made the current CEO of Cartoon Network at the time resign from his position. Before that incident he was the greatest CEO the company had and put the artists first and why we got so many original cartoons in abundance.

Anyway, I hope nothing bad happens to the kid but I imagine he's getting an A+. Also that assignment is kinda weird cause it's easy to cause a public scare like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom