• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, Have You Peaked?

Pejo

So COVID-19 has given me a lot of time for inward thinking and reflecting. I don't consider myself old yet, but I feel like I've already "peaked" in my life. In my early to late 20's, I was living the life I dreamed of. I had it all - girls, parties, huge social circle, my hobbies were thriving (playing in a punk band, video games, snowboarding, kayaking).

In the past 5 years, I look at what I've done, and it's mostly wage slave related since I moved across the country. I've moved up a lot and am making a salary I never dreamed of in my previous location, and I've got a steady relationship of 5+ years, but I feel way less satisfied with myself and my current situation.

That's what got me thinking about "peaking". Is it truly all downhill from here? Should I just accept that I'm doing ok, all things considered, and resign myself to 2.5 kids, buying a house in a suburb and getting some lame grilling clothes?

For those of you that already got married and live that life - any regrets?

Did you guys already leave behind the life that felt most "you"?

mango drank

What would you want to do instead? Technically you can still do all the stuff you used to do (minus snowboarding--eventually your knees will explode).

Can you add a bunch of that stuff to your future domestic life, as side hobbies? Or do you not want the domestic life at all, and want to dedicate yourself to something else?

Pejo

I try my best not to compare myself to others. That justs makes me feel negative about myself when shouldn't be down.
So without comparing yourself to others, just to your own past. Do you feel that you're doing better/worse than you used to? I'm not insinuating anything, just curious how others feel.

What would you want to do instead? Technically you can still do all the stuff you used to do (minus snowboarding--eventually your knees will explode).

Can you add a bunch of that stuff to your future domestic life, as side hobbies? Or do you not want the domestic life at all, and want to dedicate yourself to something else?
I think the idea of domestic life essentially equals that I gave up. Add that with the fact that it's harder to make friends as an adult when you supplant yourself and I think there's a combination effect going on. Do you feel that you've ever given up on a lifestyle or a hobby in your past?

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
So without comparing yourself to others, just to your own past. Do you feel that you're doing better/worse than you used to? I'm not insinuating anything, just curious how others feel.

I think the idea of domestic life essentially equals that I gave up. Add that with the fact that it's harder to make friends as an adult when you supplant yourself and I think there's a combination effect going on. Do you feel that you've ever given up on a lifestyle or a hobby in your past?
Some ways I'm doing better and some ways I'm feeling I regressed. I have..well had a better job now and I have a decent amount of savings thanks to my awesome parents, but I basically sacrificed my social life ever since I had to move out of state. Era and GAF somewhat fills that gap for me. Unsure of my future now, but I don't want to think about it now.

Just live my life and enjoy awesome games and talk to cool people online. :)

I'm doing way better now than in my past in every way, haven't peaked yet. I'm the glass half empty type, so it keeps me striving (for nothing honestly).

Last edited:
Pejo Pejo : my perspective as a 45 years old fart is, that you should have several peaks in your life, but with different qualities. And that you should search for "plateaus" instead of peaks.

I had my fair share of craziness in life in my twenties. Had a decent electronic music career that lead me to playing to thousands of people around the world, living in Tokyo together with a japanese model that was my gf for a few years, and all the rest you can imagine. In a way the best stories I can tell happened in that time, off course..

Later on other peaks happened, like the birth of my first son, travelling to places I have never been to, etc. But also having a very nice circle of friends, being able to drink beer with them whenever I want, etc..

What I want to say maybe is, that "peaks" are not so important when you look back on your life.
Try to reach high plateaus instead, where you constantly feel good, instead of having only a few peaks where you felt incredible.

Make your life the best it can be in a sustainable manner.

As someone who never felt happy within the constraints of a family, I cannot give you advice on that. I love having children, and try to be there for them as much as I can, but I know now that I am not a family man. I feel bound to much by that stuff and prefer having a large circle of good friends instead.

But you do you.

Last edited:

*Nightwing

Pejo Pejo : my perspective as a 45 years old fart is, that you should have several peaks in your life, but with different qualities. And that you should search for "plateaus" instead of peaks.

I had my fair share of craziness in life in my twenties. Had a decent electronic music career that lead me to playing to thousands of people around the world, living in Tokyo together with a japanese model that was my gf for a few years, and all the rest you can imagine. In a way the best stories I can tell happened in that time, off course..

Later on other peaks happened, like the birth of my first son, travelling to places I have never been to, etc. But also having a very nice circle of friends, being able to drink beer with them whenever I want, etc..

What I want to say maybe is, that "peaks" are not so important when you look back on your life.
Try to reach high plateaus instead, where you constantly feel good, instead of having only a few peaks where you felt incredible.

Make your life the best it can be in a sustainable manner.

As someone who never felt happy within the constraints of a family, I cannot give you advice on that. I love having children, and try to be there for them as much as I can, but I know now that I am not a family man. I feel bound to much by that stuff and prefer having a large circle of good friends instead.

But you do you.
This times 100... the youth and inexperience shows in the question. I can go even further and say the inexperience shows in the question itself as life is ever evolving growth and change. Life is constant learning, changing, and growth and you rarely stick with one ideal to life to "peak" at. In my youth I thought I peaked a combat becouse no one had yet beat me in hand to hand, and once my body could not withstand the physical rigors of training heavily in it, I got better with firearms. So I peaked in one aspect of combat, and then shifted and am moving to peak in another aspect of combat. If your life is so shallow and 2 dimensional you can only have one peak, I weep for you and fear I don't have any advice on how to remedy that itself but I sincerely doubt any human being is that shallow, they just don't realize you never stop growing, learning and changing in life yet to be far too complex to ever peak in life itself.

Last edited:
If I hit my peak already... I don't think I can handle that. I'm in my 30s and live with my dad. I was home schooled by my mom, who was an alcoholic and did not really make me do anything. My parents got divorced right after I turned 18. I hate living with either of my parents but have been unable to get stable work so I just stay cause I think if I left my dad might not let me back in unless I had been homeless and wandering the streets for awhile.

I went to a local college, became a CPA this last year. I temped or worked part time most of the last 8 years. I currently have a government job but have no idea if I'm doing what they want, and am unsure if I will make it past the probationary period. Even though I'm a CPA, I really don't have much experience in any particular area. If the rest of my life is like the past, I a anticipate becoming homeless and working part time jobs while sleeping in my car in front of wal mart.

teezzy

Banned
I have a decent office job, my own house, and a 2011 Honda Civic.

If this is peak living then Lord help me. I miss being an angsty shit stain in my youth going to local shows in Detroit every weekend and doing all sorts of drugs.

I'd love to start a family and just be a wholesome Dad dude to be honest. Chicks suck though.

Melon

Banned
I'm only 21 (soon to be 22), so I highly doubt it. Though I have a fantastic boyfriend who has inspired me to do way more with my life, so I'd say life is certainly good, but I know I'm just at the beginning of the good.

TindalosPup

Life is about doing what you love at all times, not how high you feel in the view of your life at any particular moment in time

Forget peaks and find happiness

kingwingin

zyGdGe5.gif

The last 12 years of my life

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
OP just keep chasing the young pussy until you’re old and grey. It will work out well in the end.

anab0lic

Neo Member
Sounds like you are perusing money instead of your passions and dreams, no wonder you are not feeling fulfilled.

Malakhov

Banned
I hope you wont, but if you lose that suburb house, long relationship, kids or lame grilling clothes, you'll then realise that was the peak.

Just enjoy it from now on and stop thinking about that

Last edited:

stickkidsam

It's easy to look back at your peaks and forget to find new ones to climb. Life is a mountain range after all.

Enjoy the past, cherish the present, and look forward to the future.

highrider

Banned
We have a physical peak that is objective, for males it’s around 28. Mentally our peak shouldn’t exist really, if you’re a smart person you realize pretty quickly that you are a student and it’s a life long process of maximizing your performance. It sounds like your not sold on being an adult, and maybe the idea of responsibility isn’t super compelling to you. When you embrace those things, you’ll realize that you aren’t even in the neighborhood of your peak.

Andahe

Neo Member
Nope, not even close to peaking. I want to travel as much as possible with my SO before settling down. I need to finish ink, work some time, then start traveling with her.

Top Bottom