• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF? Man arrested after using 5¢ of electricity from public power outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
An 11 day investigation followed the heinous crime.

Tens of thousands of tax dollars to be spent bringing justice to the great state of Georgia.

A Georgia man found himself in handcuffs after charging his electric car outside a middle school where his son was playing tennis in what police alleged was unlawful “theft” of county power worth roughly five cents.

Kaveh Kamooneh, of Decatur, said he was attending a Saturday morning tennis practice session for his 11-year-old son on Nov. 2 when he plugged in his electric car at a power outlet outside Chamblee Middle School.

Kamooneh, 50, said he was alarmed when, soon after, he saw a police officer inspecting his Nissan LEAF.

According to a report from the Chamblee Police Department, an officer responded to a called complaint of the white Nissan LEAF left parked and charging at the school. In the police report, the officer said he could not find the vehicle’s owner but found the car doors unlocked and picked up a piece of mail on the car floor showing a Decatur address.

“He told me he was going to arrest me for theft,” Kamooneh said, who said he charged his car for roughly 20 minutes. Clean Cities Atlanta, an electric vehicle advocacy group, says that is roughly the equivalent of a nickel's worth of electricity, WIXA in Atlanta reported.

On Nov. 13, Kamooneh said he was met at his door by police, who handcuffed him and took him to the DeKalb County jail, where he was held for about 15 hours.

“I quickly realized it was from the events that had happened 11 days back,” he said. “The officer did threaten that he would do that. I guess I didn’t quite believe that he would go through with it.”

Kamooneh was officially charged with theft by taking what the officer said was “theft of power” by not seeking permission from the DeKalb County School system to charge his car there, according to the police report.

Police said, according to the report, they met with Chamblee Middle School employees, who confirmed that Kamooneh was not authorized to plug his car into any school socket.

Sgt. Ernesto Ford of the of the Chamblee Police Department declined to discuss the incident further with NBC News, but told WXIA that Kamooneh “broke the law. He stole something that wasn’t his.”

“A theft is a theft,” he added.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/04/21756802-theft-of-power-lands-electric-car-driver-in-jail

In other Goergia news, children might be shot on sight if they attempt to drink water from public fountains that their tax dollars pay for. Lord have mercy on the kid who needs to charge his phone.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Soooo, can he pay the nickel and be done with it?

Georgia, a place I will never willingly visit.

Camp Lo

Banned
Sgt. Ernesto Ford of the of the Chamblee Police Department declined to discuss the incident further with NBC News, but told WXIA that Kamooneh “broke the law. He stole something that wasn’t his.”

“A theft is a theft,” he added.

What a fucking tool.

mackattk

Doesn't tax dollars help fund schools?

No wait.. lets just spend tens of thousands of tax payers dollars on a five cent theft.

What the fuck? These police should be charged for wasting state resources. Really? You burned more in gasoline driving to the guys house than electricity he got. You are going to waste police time, court time, etc. over FIVE FUCKING CENTS?!?!?

Idiots.

There has got to be something else involved here.

studyguy

Let one thief through the cracks and suddenly we'll have a whole nation of hippies charging the doodads in public outlets. What's next? Thieves plugging their kurieg machines at local libraries to make their mocha-java-machiattos?

Guevara

If he instead siphoned a little gas from a state-owned vehicle I think everyone would be in agreement that he's guilty and should be prosecuted.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What the fuck? These police should be charged for wasting state resources. Really? You burned more in gasoline driving to the guys house than electricity he got. You are going to waste police time, court time, etc. over FIVE FUCKING CENTS?!?!?

Idiots.

There has got to be something else involved here.

probably argued with the cop. Who it seems conducted an illegal search of the vehicle.

Espresso

Banned
This is what happens when the role of the police shifts from officer of the peace to strict enforcer of the law.

krae_man

I didn't know this was actually illegal.

Personally, I don't think it's grounds for a criminal theft. However it shouldn't be done without permission. At worst the punishment should be being banned from the property with a threat for a trespass charge if he ignores it. But that should only be after a couple warnings.

Alucrid

Banned
Oops, I tripped, grabbed a car door's handle and it opened.

Oops, looks like my hand fell into the inside. .

Oops, looks like it rummaged around on its own and found this envelope.

No eyes, don't make me look at it, don't make me-okay eyes, you win this one.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The cop in question

52z1yG3.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Uh, couldn't a police officer just grab a license plate number to ID a vehicle and its owner?

joelseph

I just assumed that car chargers would need some sort of higher voltage connection ala Washing Machines. Was this a 'standard' plug?

Camp Lo

Banned
I just assumed that car chargers would need some sort of higher voltage connection ala Washing Machines. Was this a 'standard' plug?

Yeah, I figured it would be like charging your cellphone off your low voltage PC as opposed to a wall socket.

Protein

Banned
That asshole cop contributed to global warming by using his squad car to travel to arrest the man. A polar bear will die as a result therefore that cop should be charged with harming an endangered species.

Valtýr

If he instead siphoned a little gas from a state-owned vehicle I think everyone would be in agreement that he's guilty and should be prosecuted.

If he had plugged his phone into a wall socket at the school would that be considered theft as well?

Every EV can plug into a standard 120v wall outlet. Takes 8+ hours for a full charge.

At home, most people install 240v chargers to speed things up (aka the dryers voltage). Takes 4ish hours for a full charge.

Special dedicated EV chargers you see at parking lots go much higher, so you can charge fully in under an hour.

Dude plugged into the same outlet youd plug a phone charger into.

Heel

Hopefully they set up surveillance at McDonalds and catch those thieves trying to take home extra napkins and ketchup packets.

Valnen

I should've been arrested for charging my phone in the San Francisco public library, I guess!

Seriously, I've plugged things in in public places. A lot. I've never gotten trouble for it. Never knew I was actually breaking the law.

heyf00L

In the police report, the officer said he could not find the vehicle’s owner but found the car doors unlocked and picked up a piece of mail on the car floor showing a Decatur address

This could get the case thrown out. That's an illegal search.

But otherwise this is theft.

Koomaster

Valtýr;92428033 said:
If he had plugged his phone into a wall socket at the school would that be considered theft as well?
He doesn't even have to plug anything in. He would be benefiting from the lighting and heating inside the school. That's a whole lot of theft just stepping foot in the door.

The advocacy group is the one quoting the 5cent figure; so it remains to be seen how far the courts are willing to go to charge him. Will they make up a figure on their own or will they use that 5cent figure?

zma1013

I don't understand why this couldn't be a simple ticket. See someone plugging their vehicle into some place they shouldn't, fine them $30 and have them pay whatever was used and be done with it. Arresting people is just over thinking it, not to mention the wasted resources here. This shouldn't be any more of an offense than parking on a street without putting money in the meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom