• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is your favorite Curry dish?

TaySan

Banned
eDvUNr1.jpg

I just had some Massaman Curry today and it's so delicious! :x . Spicy the better!

What do you guys like? :)

I'm a spice head so the hotter the better. Vindaloo and Madras are mainstays as far as Indian goes. Love Massaman, jungle, red and green Thai curries, cooked to Thai spice levels. My favourite of all time was a Laos beef curry from a Thai/Laos joint that was open here for a couple of years. Spicy as fuck but so flavourful and the slow cooked beef just disintegrated in the mouth. I'm still raging about that place closing if I'm honest. Uncultured yobs in this town, I swear.

OMG get in my belly! :0

I love super hot curries but unfortunately I need alot of TP for later.

652Wi13.gif

I'm a hot head in a manner of speaking.

1Qyc.gif

but man what they say about this stuff is true, I had burning painful shits the next day and an itchy asshole. Why do people eat this stuff.

So true. I also ask that question as well but then I go and down a Carolina Reaper. Stomach cramps like you wouldn't believe.

Still I love it when my mouths on fire.

Last edited:
I had never tried curry until just few weeks ago, my girlfriend made me some chicken curry thing. It was really good. but man what they say about this stuff is true, I had burning painful shits the next day and an itchy asshole. Why do people eat this stuff.
You get conditioned after a while. I had my first curry at about 5 years old and I'm now completely unreliable to my wife when she asks if something is spicy or not. I always say no, and it always ends up blowing her wig off.

In my immediate family, my dad is the only one of 6 that can't handle spice. The rest of us are demons.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I’ve long loved a Madras, I love the hit of chillis. However, the king is the Massaman. I lived almost exclusively on it when I lived in Thailand - I was having it as hot as the locals after a year or so. It was amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does green curry wreak havoc on my insides?

I love curry though. Gimme some lamb vindaloo any day. Or maybe never since I'm cutting down on animal consumption.

Last edited:
Anything really spicy works for me. When I was in Hawaii I had an amazing seafood curry, it was a yellow curry and I don't even normally like cooked fish but I crave it all the time now.

I also love any Indian curry with paneer.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I tend to get addicted to putting hot sauce on everything I eat. Then it culminates in a day of diarrhea where I shit 5-6 times and I have to take a break to let my stomach recover.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I had never tried curry until just few weeks ago, my girlfriend made me some chicken curry thing. It was really good. but man what they say about this stuff is true, I had burning painful shits the next day and an itchy asshole. Why do people eat this stuff.
she probably put too much spices in there. and when i say spice, i dont mean the herbs and other flavor spices, i mean the red chilli or green chili.

Indian food is supposed to be flavorful, not spicy. People dont get that. the indian resturants have done a poor job of this because they overcompensated and made everything bland which made everyone order spicy which basically has them sprinkling spoons full of red chilli powder on top of an already cooked dish. thats not how you are supposed to cook indian food. its basically like the popeyes spicy chicken. the regular chicken is so bland its inedible, and spicy thighs will give you painful shit for days.

that said, having some yogurt with it as a dressing or having some kind of milky drink before or afterwards will really help.

Karmic Raze

I tried curry once and didn’t really like it which is weird because I love spicy food. Could have just been the place I tried it at, though.

YukiOnna

Pakistani Chicken Karahi

DKr8mDi.jpg

Mum makes it time to time and it never gets old. Always make sure to add in an extra heaping of chillies so that it makes me sweat.

Nbygnbj.jpg

And one I make myself is Gaeng Som curry that I learned from Mark Wiens' videos. Delicious and also packed with tons of chillies and sour.

LOVE curry even thou I don't eat them that much. one of the best food out there. I think at the end of the day, I would love some chicken curry, whichever kind it is. lamb ones are good too but kinda hard to get right.

Red Chicken Curry & Indian Butter Curry is what I can cook myself very well.
Love that from time to time..

But yeah, the shits are horrible next day...

found a picture of the "dry curry" from Jiyuken in Osaka, Japan. it's an 110 years old store that had been known to be a hangout for some famous writers and thinkers of Japan before WWII.

there's also a manga series call Addicted To Curry (カレーなるしょくたく). it's really good in terms of the food it covers, which is curry dishes from all around the world. and the best thing is there's the recipes for all the dishes in each book at the end so if you want to try making it, you'll at least get some idea on how. and the abundance of fan service in there sure doesn't hurt :messenger_beaming: the series is already finished and it has a total of 46 volumes (books) I think.

Last edited:

Pejo

My two favs were already listed - restaurant style butter chicken and chicken katsu curry. Well, I guess I know what's for dinner now, this thread made me hungry.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
71cfzWKDKjL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Wife and I have been loving this in our dinner rotation. Two boxes of this, a shit ton of carrots, onion, potatoes, and some diced chicken breast makes a great meal that you can eat on for several days.

Karma Jawa

Rogan Josh or Madras.

I tend to make my own and use ghost peppers. The hotter the better.

Another is an amazing coconut salmon curry recipe.

Top Bottom