• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gahhhh, up yours, Verizon! (rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

Our cable prices were going to go up in October, and after doing some of the math, we determined that we could replace both our cable TV and internet service with DirecTV and Verizon DSL (at their $29.99/month price) and have everything actually be at least $5 cheaper a month than our cable would be.

Our only potential roadblock to this plan was the availability of Verizon's DSL service at our house. We tried to keep our DSL service when we moved into this place a little over a year ago, but they said that we weren't close enough, so we figured that it was possible that they had upgraded their network or whatever since then. So I check my phone number on their web page, and it says that we're "pre-qualified". We learned last year that that doesn't really mean a whole lot, so I give the Verizon salespeople a call.

Three different times.

And each time, the salesperson assures me that we can get DSL service on our phone line. I double and triple check with each person, explaining that we tried a year ago, and we were too far away to get the service, and each time, the salesperson swore up and down that we would be able to receive DSL here. I even asked the second two reps if they could actually do a line check, and they put me on hold to do so (although now I'm guessing that they just went and got a cup of coffee or something...).

So we put in the order for the Verizon DSL. We got this far last year, but last year, we got a call within about 24 hours telling us that the service actually wasn't available on our line. This time around, we got no such thing. We received the DSL modems and then placed the order for DirecTV. We could get the DirecTV installed as soon as a couple days from then, but the DSL wasn't scheduled to be activated for another week or so.

We figured, "Hey, they actually sent out the equipment this time, so we should be ok", so we went ahead and scheduled the DirecTV installation...

The DirecTV guy comes out, installs the stuff, and in the process, we remove the cable wiring which had been in some rather ugly places around the house, due to the stupidity of the previous owner. So far, so good. We're mostly happy with DirecTV, and all that's left is to get the DSL set up and we can get away from our horrible cable service altogether.

Things seemed to be even better when we got a call a day or so later telling us that our DSL service has been activated! However, the DSL modem can't actually get a signal. I try different jacks around the house, nothing. I call tech support, and since it's a holiday weekend, they tell me that I shouldn't expect a call before tuesday at least. That's fine with me, as at this point, I figured that the activation call was just early or something.

We get a call the very next day telling us that we're way too far away to get their DSL. We needed to be within a 18,000 foot radius from their hub, and we're something like 23,000+, so it's not even close.

And now we're pretty much screwed. Not only would getting cable back require rewiring all the jacks to run back to the cable box instead of to the roof, we're stuck in the contract with DirecTV, meaning that we're now stuck paying through the nose for our crappy cable internet service because we cancelled the TV service....

And as far as I can tell through research and various calls, all the DSL companies (Earthlink, SBC, etc) use the same lines, so it's not like we stand the chance of being in range of a different network or anything....

Bah.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
served.

Just cancel directtv... get only cable modem service... split that wire and just watch regular cable for a while :)

edit: That's what you get for being such a cheap bastard in the first place ;)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
open_mouth_ said:
served.

Just cancel directtv... get only cable modem service... split that wire and just watch regular cable for a while :)

They're stuck in a contract with Direct TV.

Vlad

+1 Comcast

We tried getting Comcast when we first moved here, and apparently they would have had to tear up half our driveway to get it installed. Something about the line running to the house belonging to the other cable company or something like that...

Just cancel directtv... get only cable modem service... split that wire and just watch regular cable for a while

That doesn't actually work, does it? Don't they kill the TV signal if you're not actually subscribing to the TV service? And as Archaix said, we're stuck in a contract with DirecTV. I don't know the exact figure on how much we'll get charged for breaking the contract, but I seem to remember it being pretty substantial.

Well shouldn't they be the ones to be fucked by it since they're the ones who originally told you you'd be getting dsl, but didn't live up to their end of the bargain?

Vlad said:
We tried getting Comcast when we first moved here, and apparently they would have had to tear up half our driveway to get it installed. Something about the line running to the house belonging to the other cable company or something like that...

That doesn't actually work, does it? Don't they kill the TV signal if you're not actually subscribing to the TV service? And as Archaix said, we're stuck in a contract with DirecTV. I don't know the exact figure on how much we'll get charged for breaking the contract, but I seem to remember it being pretty substantial.
yeah, they put a filter on, but you may be able to *wink*nudge* and "tip" off the installer to 'forget" to place the filter on the line

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Call them up and GET PISSED. You have every right to be, considering what happened. Demand to talk to people higher up than standard customer service reps. Companies will usually bend over backwards for you before losing business, especially if your story is true.

Vlad

human5892 said:
Call them up and GET PISSED. You have every right to be, considering what happened. Demand to talk to people higher up than standard customer service reps. Companies will usually bend over backwards for you before losing business, especially if your story is true.

Believe me, I did. I was on the phone with some manager from their "retention department" for about an hour on Tuesday. Unfortunately, they didn't offer shit. The problem is that they aren't really losing business. It's not like I had the service and wasn't happy with it, I just plain couldn't get it, so what do they care if I'm pissed, it's not like they were gonna get any of my money anyway.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Vlad said:
Believe me, I did. I was on the phone with some manager from their "retention department" for about an hour on Tuesday. Unfortunately, they didn't offer shit. The problem is that they aren't really losing business. It's not like I had the service and wasn't happy with it, I just plain couldn't get it, so what do they care if I'm pissed, it's not like they were gonna get any of my money anyway.
Ah, true, I forgot that you were already locked into the contract.

Damn, that really sucks. I'm going to exercise caution if I ever deal with Verizon more significantly in the future (they handle my house phone now, but I get super-basic service and make only a few calls a month, so there's very little for them to fuck up).

Just cancel directtv... get only cable modem service... split that wire and just watch regular cable for a while

I only have cable modem service thru cable company. So you mean I can split the wire and hook it up to TV and watch cable TV?

Not to kick you while you're down, but if you were cautious to begin with, wouldn't it had been wise to have gotten DSL working before you hooked up DirecTV?

Vlad

Marty Chinn said:
Not to kick you while you're down, but if you were cautious to begin with, wouldn't it had been wise to have gotten DSL working before you hooked up DirecTV?

Yeah, yeah, that's why I put\

We figured, "Hey, they actually sent out the equipment this time, so we should be ok", so we went ahead and scheduled the DirecTV installation...

In my initial post. We were a bit apprehensive, but since the hardware actually got shipped this time around, we figured that we should be ok, seeing as the order didn't even get that far the last time we tried (in the same house). That's the one big mistake we made, and believe me, we're well aware of it, and kicking ourselves daily for not listening to our fears...

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
BruceWayne said:
I only have cable modem service thru cable company. So you mean I can split the wire and hook it up to TV and watch cable TV?

Depends now. Since Digital Cable is what Comcast is pushing so hard now, they re-did the network here. A year ago, I split my cable line and was able to get free cable tv, then 1 day, it stoped working, but the cable internet still worked. Apparently, you need a filter on the tv part of the line now.

Vlad

Just another note that really drives home the fact that Verizon is apparently run by a bunch of morons...

This week, we get our bill, and what do I see on it but a charge for their DSL service, which I cancelled at least three weeks ago. I call them back up, and after waiting on hold for another 30 minutes, find out that they never actually cancelled our service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom