• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Maker HTML5 releasing Sept. 22nd, $99

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
NOTE: the $99 price is good until Sept 22nd, when it will be raised to $199.

127_HTML5_fullpage.jpg

The much anticipated release of GameMaker:HTML5 is almost upon us!  We are excited to bring you updated news on the latest GameMaker has a launch date of Thursday 22 September 2011!

GameMaker:HTML5 introduces a range of new features including Team Collaboration; this allows mulitiple individuals to work on the same project simultaneously. HTML5 is also perfectly suited to creating other types of web content for the latest browser standards, including animated logos and other dynamic page elements.

GameMaker:HTML5 is leading the revolution in the HTML5 wave with easily created, easily deployable content. Question is, are YOU ready to join...?

More info here: http://yoyogames.com/news/47

Now that flash is being dropped with IE10, it seems like a good a time as any to try making some HTML 5 games. Especially if you have zero programming knowledge.

Lesiroth

Man, this brings back some memories. I used to play around with that thing a lot when I was a kid, back when it was one man working on it.

Aru

I wasn't aware of that. I was planning to create an HTML game creator some time ago, but never did anything about it in the end.

I had a huge issue because I couldn't load files from users' computers into the program. This is a pretty much standard security feature on every web browser. The only way I found around it was to cache the game once it has been loaded for the first time.

I wonder what they did about this.

salromano

Lesiroth said:
Man, this brings back some memories. I used to play around with that thing a lot when I was a kid, back when it was one man working on it.

I was always an RPG Maker kinda guy.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Aru said:
I wasn't aware of that. I was planning to create an HTML game creator some time ago, but never did anything about it in the end.

I had a huge issue because I couldn't load files from users' computers into the program. This is a pretty much standard security feature on every web browser. The only way I found around it was to cache the game once it has been loaded for the first time.

I wonder what they did about this.
Using local storage you could store up to 5 MB of data, but it's still not a lot.

It will be interesting to see how compatible iOS devices are with this. In theory, HTML5 is really quite powerful (as that game on the Chrome store showed everyone in a thread earlier this year) In practice it seems like portable devices have a wide range of performance and compatibility with these web apps.

I'm really surprised Yoyogames hasn't talked about doing an iOS export yet. (Sure, they can do it internally if you work out a deal with them, but...)

Aru

Blimblim said:
Using local storage you could store up to 5 MB of data, but it's still not a lot.

Yeah that's the default value, but users can change it if they want to.
So I guess games are playable online only.

EDIT: Wait.
We need Windows to use this ? How disappointing.
I thought the IDE was in HTML5 too...

D-Pad

@chubigans: GM HTML 5 is only $99 if you purchase it within' the beta period. The price jumps to $199 afterwards.

Luigiv said:
$99? I still remember when Gamermaker use to be 100% free. :(

There are going to be two or three different packages in the future. The Basic GameMaker is still being sold. Lite is free and then Standard edition I think is now $40. There's also a Mac version which is based on the GM 4 engine. It will be merged into the Windows version (it it'll be compat. with Windows AND Mac at once) come GameMaker 9.

THen you have this HTML 5 version, which will cost $199.

And then you'll have GameMaker Studio, which will allow export to Android, iOS, and more devices. GMC members are guess it will cost around $499-$599.

D-Pad said:
And then you'll have GameMaker Studio, which will allow export to Android, iOS, and more devices. GMC members are guess it will cost around $499-$599.

Any timeline on that? Will be interesting to see if that's the case since the popular pricing for stuff like Corona SDK and GameSalad is a bit more reasonable but also limited to yearly subscription.

D-Pad

Crazymoogle said:
Any timeline on that? Will be interesting to see if that's the case since the popular pricing for stuff like Corona SDK and GameSalad is a bit more reasonable but also limited to yearly subscription.

Don't know, but I'm guessing sometime next year (2012). Also I was a little off in my post above. Here are some details about the future of GameMaker from Russell Kay himself:

Just so you know when we are talking about GM Studio we are generally talking about the next version of GameMaker for which the current plan is to release it cross platform (PC and Mac) at the same time with multiple versions Lite, Standard, HTML5 and Studio - we have not forgotten Mac in all the excitement but we do have to focus the development effort - I can also confirm that the Mac version will be Cocoa native windowing (rather than the current cross platform Free Pascal windowing currently used, so it will look and feel more Mac like).

We will also be transitioning to the C++ Runner fully and incorporating all of the speed ups that currently exist for our current iOS games, we will also be keeping all the Drag and Drop and construction mechanisms that GM currently has (Mark Overmars will be working with us closely on this, ensuring that the ethos of GameMaker runs true through the redesign).

One thing that we cannot promise is full backward compatibility we will HAVE to break some features while we fix things behind the scenes but we are looking to create a transition guide to help anyone porting from GM8.1 -> whatever we end up calling it!

I just wanted to clarify as there does seem to be some confusion about this.

Russell

Source

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Lesiroth said:
Yeah, Mark Overmars, who's actually returning to Game Maker to work on it as he's been away from the program for quite some time. Those were some good times.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The UI looks mostly the same, just black.

Do I get this free since I own Gamemaker Pro?

Glad to see they are evolving GM but it's a pretty tough time for them relevance-wise. No Kongregate support, no iOS support. You can make stuff...but anybody who wants to make a game to actually sell should probably consider GameSalad or Corona instead right now. Will be interesting to see how the HTML5 stuff turns out.

sprsk said:
The UI looks mostly the same, just black.

Do I get this free since I own Gamemaker Pro?

I don't think so? AFAIK they're treating all of the SKUs as seperate products.

D-Pad

The beta is released. As a special thanks to those who signed up for the newsletter, YoyoGames handed out $20 coupons good through Monday.

YoYoGames

@chubigans: The beta didn't START until today (Sept 22), so we still have time to get it for $99. :p

Top Bottom