• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones The Game |OT| Yet Another GoT OT

kswiston

Alright. I bought the PC version off Gamersgate for ~$30 before the pre-order discount was up. If you know someone with an IGN Prime account (or have one yourself), you can still get the game for $34. If not, it's $40. Not sure why Steam wants to charge me $50 and wait two extra weeks for it to release.

So far it boots, which is always a good sign!

The GOT theme music is as great as ever. This game has next to no graphics options though. You get a "game quality" and a "texture quality" option, along with resolution. That's about it. Looks like game pads are supported but I think I will just use KBM.

kswiston

Reviews weren't kidding about the cutscenes. In the first half hour you watch some cutscenes, select your class and skills, and then watch more cutscenes.

The game runs alright on my PC (Phenom II X4 945, GTX 560, 8GB RAM), but texture pop-in is pretty noticeable, and camera movement is a bit janky. So far I am getting a solid 60FPS though.

I think I will leave the actual playing until tomorrow, but at least this feels more like ASOIAF than that strategy game they released last year. Even at $10 that was a waste of cash.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit... they seriously delayed the game one day on the PC. I checked it at 8am PST this morning and it was set to unlock in 2 hours from them.

Xander51

I'm thinking about picking this up today in spite of its mediocrity. The combat system looks fun and I don't mind some jank.

Xander51

It's looking like something is going wrong with the Steam version again, it keeps getting pushed back there. Maybe I'll just pick it up at Gamersgate...

Astra

It's looking like something is going wrong with the Steam version again, it keeps getting pushed back there. Maybe I'll just pick it up at Gamersgate...

Yeah, seems to be quite a few people having issues with the Steam version. If Gamersgate has it cheaper, why not?

Astra

I envy
Eddard's fate
right now, instead of continuing this game.

That bad, huh? Makes me feel better about returning it. Still, I'll pick it up again when it's $20 or less. If the story is good, as seems to be the common praise (maybe the only one!) among reviews, then it'll be worth the $20.

Xander51

I just played the first hour. The combat system is fun to use, and the game is rather dialogue-heavy. It would have been the perfect 40 dollar July game.

Thanks for the insights.

Having said that regarding your spoiler:

- Spoiler for the first mission:
The idea that the Night's Watch would fight each other in a pitched battle like this was so absurd,
goes against everything that's been established in Martin's books, that it tore me right out of the story, reminding me that this all little more than fan-fic.

I disagree quite a bit given the back story of the watch and even considering (book semi-spoilers)
those who left the watch to join the wildlings and even the most recent events at the end of the last book. It is never really described as a unified and trouble free bunch beyond the oaths and rhetoric that get bandied around to visitors and new recruits.

Card Boy

Banned
Gez said:
I'm very concerned after the Game of Thrones RTS game these same developers made on PC.
Different team or not I had a feeling it was going to a stinker going by the RTS and now looking at the reviews. The RTS was very nasty stuff, I got it for free and still feel ripped off because I could of used the credit on something else.

Zoibie

Different team or not I had a feeling it was going to a stinker going by the RTS and now looking at the reviews. The RTS was very nasty stuff, I got it for free and still feel ripped off because I could of used the credit on something else.

Err...

Anyway, here's Giant Bomb's quick look at the game. First thing that stands out to me is that The Wall looks great when given free camera control. The TV show does its best to constrain the CG budget and I don't remember ever seeing The Wall from inside Castle Black (although I could easily be mistaken.)

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Gamespot gave it a 7.0

Metacritic is sitting at 5.4 but there are only 12 reviews.

Almost all of the reviews mention that the story is decent. Once I finish up my solo Diablo 3 run-through, I will return to my PC copy.

Gamespot review makes me wanna play it. Just such horrible, horrible timing for me. Diablo 3, Tera, Max Payne are all fighting for playtime. All are awesome. I will probably get this first time its marked down on PC.

Kem0sabe

I wonder how Cyanide will handle the press the game is geting...

It´s dismal that the only positive thing you can add as a blurb to your site is a "7" from Gamespot.

1stStrike

Banned
Was kind of interested in this game, but after watching the combat I was just like LOLNO. That shit looks so horrible. I'll just stick with the books and the tv show for now.

FoeHammer

I am genuinely enjoying the story bits in this. There is a lot of fan service done here and it most of it is pretty good. The voice acting and dialogue is actually pretty good and the story is interesting.

I don't think I'll be able to get too far into however as the combat is horrible beyond words. It's really a shame too because they are so very close to making a good RPG in this universe. If the combat was even just "okay" I might be able to continue but it's just too terrible.

Majmun

This game doesn't look too hot. Going to skip it, even being a huge ASOIAF fan and all.

I'm going to wait for a ASOIAF game that covers all of the books, up until A Dream of Spring.

And is developed by Blizzard or Bioware.

Ebris

This game doesn't look too hot. Going to skip it, even being a huge ASOIAF fan and all.

I'm going to wait for a ASOIAF game that covers all of the books, up until A Dream of Spring.

And is developed by CDProjekt or Obsidian

Fixed that for ya, bro~

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The ps3 version has awful screen tearing. I can't give you any more impressions of it because it gives me too much of a headache to go on,.

RPGCrazied

The ps3 version has awful screen tearing. I can't give you any more impressions of it because it gives me too much of a headache to go on,.

A ton? Maybe I won't even get it at $20. I don't play many games with horrible tearing. Such a missed opportunity with this game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A ton? Maybe I won't even get it at $20. I don't play many games with horrible tearing. Such a missed opportunity with this game.

You don't notice it much outdoors, but once you get to the second chapter where you play as Alester. It's pretty bad.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
To the point about the wildling damage buff with no wildlings appearing later.

I'm 3 hours into the game and there's no such ability in either the Domination or Skinchanger tree about increased damage to wildlings.

Davedough

I managed to stumble upon this game for free. I'm starting to thank the Sevens that I did and didn't have to pay for it.

I'm early in the game and Alester just shed his cloak, pledge his allegiance to Riverwood and now has to go through the city. There's a scene where you're approached by some gang of 4 people, you can either fight them or lie to them to get them to back down. First time I tried to fight them, I killed 2 and then died. So, I lied to get past them. Then, while trying to go to my objective, I got jumped randomly by 4 guys and died again.

Mors could take on 4 people and not think twice about it, Alester, I know has light armor, but WTF? I dont have enough energy to use to interupt them all enough to even think about winning the fight. What am I missing about Alester's play style? I chose him to be a Water Dancer or whatever it was called, btw and not a sellsword or ranger.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I managed to stumble upon this game for free. I'm starting to thank the Sevens that I did and didn't have to pay for it.

I'm early in the game and Alester just shed his cloak, pledge his allegiance to Riverwood and now has to go through the city. There's a scene where you're approached by some gang of 4 people, you can either fight them or lie to them to get them to back down. First time I tried to fight them, I killed 2 and then died. So, I lied to get past them. Then, while trying to go to my objective, I got jumped randomly by 4 guys and died again.

Mors could take on 4 people and not think twice about it, Alester, I know has light armor, but WTF? I dont have enough energy to use to interupt them all enough to even think about winning the fight. What am I missing about Alester's play style? I chose him to be a Water Dancer or whatever it was called, btw and not a sellsword or ranger.

I watched a live stream of a guy at that part. He died a few times before going to a vendor before the fight and stocking up on potions.

Mileena

Banned
I started this and Tales of Graces F around the same time.

Game of Thrones is about 97 times better. It's not a "good" game but it's fun and I love the series. Glad I got it from Gamefly though, I'd have been salty if I bought it.

Taruranto

I'm on Alester ch8 and i have to say, i'm rather enjoying the game. The initial impression wasn't very good, but after i got past the tutorials the plot started to pick up and i found myself rather drawn in. The main characters are really interesting (grown men with their own word-view and mission) and overall there is a lot of nice writing (The Sub-quests especially, there are only a few of them per chapters, but they are not generic fetch quest garbage and the solution is not always obvious). C&C are also all over the game.

And come on, the combat is not actually THAT bad. It's far better than Dragon Age combat and at least there are no trash mobs.

Overall, i give it a 7/10 and i'm enjoying it much more than the last over-hyped Bioware wrpg.

Top Bottom