• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones The Game |OT| Yet Another GoT OT

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've take a shit on this game if its actually worse than DA2. I'm not going by review scores because that game scored way higher than it deserved.

kswiston

When did the PC version of this get pushed back until June? It was May 15th last I checked.

Sort of funny that all these publishers realized a couple of weeks before launch that releasing their game on PC the same day Diablo 3 hits is probably not the smartest move.

hemtae

When did the PC version of this get pushed back until June? It was May 15th last I checked.

Sort of funny that all these publishers realized a couple of weeks before launch that releasing their game on PC the same day Diablo 3 hits is probably not the smartest move.

Steam still says May 15th for me.

Astra

to be fair that was based on the combat system since that what the video showed and it looked good.

however the dev track record and the lack of info,reviews and demo is made my really worried about the game quality.

It still *looks* quite good, but yeah, Shahadan's post really casts some doubt, coupled with the lack of reviews, as you said. Of course, no reviews until a game's release isn't surprising these days, and doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.
It certainly doesn't help the feeling of doubt we're all having with this game, though. I'll be picking it up in about an hour, and really don't want to open it. Dragon's Dogma will be replacing it if it turns out poorly.

I've had such high hopes for a video game set in the ASoIaF universe, and when I heard there was going to be a video game I was pretty excited. Then I saw who was making it, checked out their other works, and my excitement just died. Genesis was released, turned out to be a sub-par game, and now I have deep doubts about this one.

Shahadan

What do I have to eat if it turns good? :D

At best it'll be a okayish game I think, I don't really expect total Legendary the Box quality anyway (but mostly, yes).
Also let me know if the dogs from DA2 are still there!

Astra

What do I have to eat if it turns good? :D

At best it'll be a okayish game I think, I don't really expect total Legendary the Box quality anyway (but mostly, yes).
Also let me know if the dogs from DA2 are still there!

A horse heart!

I was never expecting a great game, but I hope it turns out decent to good.

You know, your post casting all this doubt could turn out to be a good thing. With all of us bracing for complete and utter disappointment, there is nowhere to go but up. So, unless it turns out to be complete garbage, it will seem like a pleasant surprise, even if it is only decent.

kswiston

Steam still says May 15th for me.

Double checked and mine clearly says June 1st after a few F5s. Maybe I am my own Steam region now...

EDIT: Proof

GOT.jpg

Astra

Double checked and mine clearly says June 1st after a few F5s. Maybe I am my own Steam region now...

Steam also says June 1st for me (Canada).

Edit: 30 more minutes!
Do I dare go and pick this up and midnight amidst the happy gamers picking up Diablo III?

Where them impressions at!?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

EDIT: Proof

GOT.jpg

weird, It's 1 June for Europe and 15 may for USA
Uvpxh.jpg

^ taking just now from us steam

Edit: if they delay it to avoid getting completely destroyed by D3 then it's a smart move actually.

kswiston

For the 5 people that are interested:

The game is available on Gamersgate for $35.99. If you have an IGN Prime account (giving you another 15% discount on Gamersgate) the game is $30.59. A lot better than $50 on Steam.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-GOT/game-of-thrones-rpg

I may bite. Game is going to likely be Janky crap, but from the videos I watched the voice acting is decent, and I love the SOIAF books. I can probably squeeze $30 worth of fun out of this.

Astra

You got it, you're suppose to be giving us the impressions. >_>

Oh, it is very tempting to open it up and pop it in. However, I have to be cheap here and leave it wrapped so I can return it if it sucks, and get Dragon's Dogma instead. Normally I'd have no qualms about just ripping it open and playing the shit out of it, but unfortunately I have had quite a few bills stack up (New tires for my car, registration, license renewal, etc) all at the same time. I don't have the cash to throw around on a possible bomb at full price. =(

No one will open this game, ever. :lol:

What have you done, Shahadan?!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This really is kind of hilarious how no one wants to take the plunge.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man... this setup looks stupid as hell. Training session with real weapons and blood spraying everywhere? Lol

Shahadan

I still can't believe they went with the DA dog instead of, you know, a wolf.

Maybe there weren't any wolves models to rip off from DA.

Astra

I'm disappointed you travel around Westeros by opening a map and clicking on your destination. I wanted to travel freely, dammit. =(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I still can't believe they went with the DA dog instead of, you know, a wolf.

Maybe there weren't any wolves models to rip off from DA.

but Direwolves/Wolves are Stark trademark, will be not right to see some non stark dude running with a wolf.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty awful dialogue/voice acting, but the game itself doesn't look that bad.

Astra

Yeah, it is. Mors doesn't sound too bad, at least.
The dialogue is pretty cringe worthy. They probably tried too hard to emulate GRRM's style, and failed horribly.

Shahadan

"My brothers are coming for you, Witcher...ahem, Butcher"

Damn, the map, the inventory, the font and font color during dailog, Mors'voice...sorry I only see a bad Witcher 2 mod.

Izick

I just want to stress that you should be very cautious about this game. Wait for reviews, especially if you were crazy enough to want it depite lacking money these days.

Like I said in the other thread, I know people who were working on this. I'll be a little bit more specific this time.
To be perfectly clear, this is a game that wants to be big but lack the budget, the talent and the direction to back it up.

They didn't know what to do with the combat system and redid it from scratch multiple times. They didn't have any experience doing this type of game. They got in contact with MArtin and his assistant twice at most. The "Martin approval" thing was just to be sure that the storyline doesn't contradict the books and future books.
Writing is bad and doesn't match the books or the show at all. On top of that remember that a French team did it (with a guy as lead writer who was described to me as "an idiot and Anakin Skywalker fan"), and the french translation of the books are atrocious and chaotic. Now imagine that then translated in english.

I won't even bring up the horrible balancing and the graphics.

Watch for reviews. It will tell you want you need to know. This will fool no one. When people working on a game use "unplayable and zero fun" to describe it, there is little hope.

fZt2W.gif

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I've played about an hour and I'm, erm... not impressed. I'll write up real impressions in the morning. The artbook is nice, though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Yeah it look very decent ( I am surprised here actually), but the dialogue is indeed shit so far (guess translating from french to English hurt it? dunno).

but yeah hope is rising again. ( still waiting for reviews)

Yes, but a more wolf-like dog or something. I don't think that's what stopped them. In fact every member of the team voiced against that dog, but the lead insisted, it was his idea. Because he thought DA and DA2 were cool (and I'm not making that up)

lol,poor dog.

maybe with keeping the dog the lead thought they can get DA's fans attention too I guess.

Astra

Looking pretty decent so far, and I kind of have the urge to play. Will still hold off until tomorrow at least, and see if there are any impressions by someone further along in the game.

Shahadan

Character creation looks pretty deep, different classes, sub classes, attribute points, skill points, pick strength and weakness.

Which screams bad game design. The guy playing just illustrated it, it's annoying and most of that is probably useless. It was one of my friends complaints, too much shit you don't need just to look deep.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Textures look pretty shitty in the 360 version. I wonder if the PC version has higher-res assets?

Unlikely, yeah...

edit: I really hate how so many people who stream and do Let's Plays seem to have no attention spans. "Oh my god, so much talking!", "Blah, blah, blah!"

Shahadan

You really have a hate-on for this game.

Not at all, I was actually pretty excited to be proven wrong. But what I see is so ridiculous and is so much like I was told it's actually funny.

And I'm sorry, too much things and too much useless things = bad design.

Which screams bad game design. The guy playing just illustrated it, it's annoying and most of that is probably useless. It was one of my friends complaints, too much shit you don't need just to look deep.

Yeah, the same guy who's skipping dialogue left and right.

If you don't care about the story then there isn't much point to playing this game.

kswiston

Not at all, I was actually pretty excited to be proven wrong. But what I see is so ridiculous and is so much like I was told it's actually funny.

I don't really care about this game either way. I suppose your friends really colored your expectations of the title. Any reason why they were so quick to trash their own work? Even if I made a bad game I don't think I would be badmouthing it before it even released.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

many older and classic RPGs do have these many things (sub classes,advantages and weakness..ect) and even more stuff.

and the stream look decent to be honest.

Yup, I've seen enough, definitely getting it. The story is interesting, I want to know more about R'hllor and the Red Priest's religion.

Top Bottom