• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

("Gamebait"?) Games that are not the games we wanted, but made by the same company

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
With Exoprimal releasing, a game having a dinosaur theme with a redhead badass girl, I wonder how many games we got in this situation. A "gamebait" if may call. Or a game made by the same company, having a lot of similarities of the same or another franchise, but not the real game

I mean what the hell was with Capcom doing that instead a real Dino Crisis game? Everyone is asking this probably even before REmake 2. I would not be impress if this game was first thought on the series, but changed a lot and they didn't want to kill this girl that is basically Regina. And even with this aside, having a fart on the wind on it's marketing, and on this scenario of games as a service being all over the place. A similar example happened with Nintendo, when everyone wanted a new Metroid and they released Federation Force, which was a flop even on the trailer

I could picture Diablo for smartphones too:

It there other examples that you guys remember?

Phobos Base

Capcom also tried to force RE Resistance on everyone, at the expense of an extended RE3 remake that everyone wanted. Or EA and their many mobile games for the likes of Dungeon Keeper or Command & Conquer.

Generic

And yet Diablo Immortal ended being a huge hit.

Capcom also tried to force RE Resistance on everyone, at the expense of an extended RE3 remake that everyone wanted. Or EA and their many mobile games for the likes of Dungeon Keeper or Command & Conquer.
"Capcom also tried to force RE Resistance on everyone"

Funny how simply making a game now means "forcing on everyone". Feels like people complaining about Hyenas.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
metroid-prime-federation-force---button-1567645379559.jpg

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Not sure if they fit but Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
We have Animal Crossing games from time to time, so it's fine.

Half Life Alyx is a good example, Wolfenstein is just a spin off released just a few months of the main game, and Star Fox Zero is a "eh" main game

Regginator

Is the thread only for negative examples? Because Donkey Kong Country Returns (Retro) comes to mind, but it was actually great.
But Retro didn't make the original DKC trilogy.

Or did I misunderstand the OP? I understood it as instances when the same developers make a game that have similarities with other series from that same dev but are not considered part of said serie.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

Or did I misunderstand the OP? I understood it as instances when the same developers make a game that have similarities with other series from that same dev but are not considered part of said serie.
Fair enough, I was thinking of it more as "games made by beloved company which were decidedly not the games its fans were waiting for"

I feel like arc the lad twilight of spirits was not the game fans wanted, but the same could be said of Chrono Cross which wasn't the sequel many of us wanted, but it has its own fanbase.

Sometimes we don't get what we want but many people end up with something they really enjoy. It's up to these companies to make the decisions they feel are in their best interests.

But its up to us consumers to decide how we respond to that. I vote with my wallet.

I haven't bought a game from EA in forever for example

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

Fair enough, I was thinking of it more as "games made by beloved company which were decidedly not the games its fans were waiting for"
DKC was a new thing, and everyone was into platforming, so was a mix of everything great. Returns was, for a lack of better word, a return to those days and kind of a new series, so it's very suited to the franchise

I feel like arc the lad twilight of spirits was not the game fans wanted, but the same could be said of Chrono Cross which wasn't the sequel many of us wanted, but it has its own fanbase.

Sometimes we don't get what we want but many people end up with something they really enjoy. It's up to these companies to make the decisions they feel are in their best interests.

But its up to us consumers to decide how we respond to that. I vote with my wallet.

I haven't bought a game from EA in forever for example
Don't remember Chrono Cross, so maybe that says about being sort of a sequel of Trigger
Does Yooka-Laylee count?
No. A few guys from OG Rare, but never meant to be directly related with Banjo Kazooie for obvious reasons
Zelda BOTW/TOTK
Metal Gear Survive
Arkham Knights
Marvel Vs Capcom 3
- Zelda have the original formula of open world, and mechanics to be more close to newer games, so a big no
- a big yes. Metal Gear Survive sums up that Konami became shit
- Gotham Knights is in a weird situation because Warner basically made those guys to make a quick Batman game while the "real Batman game" was in development. Same thing happened again now. They're the rebound devs
- you realize that Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a normal game in the main series that everyone wanted, right?!

Crayon

Final Fantasy XVI: the RPG mechanics don’t really matter in a mainline entry of a RPG series, and all you get is a character action game that doesn‘t let you pick anything past normal mode on first playthrough

There are so many "rpgs" that have barely any rpg elements not found in any action/adventure.

I like the example of witcher 3 vs horizon zd. When I really break it down, the composition of the games is not that different at all. The biggest differences is that witcher has much better writing and hzd has much better action. Is that the difference? Really I think the difference is that one is fantasy one is sci fi. That is a rediculous way to distinguish them. As dumb as distinguishing "jrpg".

Really wtf is an rpg anymore. This question comes up on the regular for a reason.

Doom85

There are so many "rpgs" that have barely any rpg elements not found in any action/adventure.

I like the example of witcher 3 vs horizon zd. When I really break it down, the composition of the games is not that different at all. The biggest differences is that witcher has much better writing and hzd has much better action. Is that the difference? Really I think the difference is that one is fantasy one is sci fi. That is a rediculous way to distinguish them. As dumb as distinguishing "jrpg".

Really wtf is an rpg anymore. This question comes up on the regular for a reason.

The problem with Final Fantasy XVI, at least at the halfway point I’ve reached, in this regard is:

-leveling up barely makes a difference in combat. Not to mention grinding takes quite long
-exploration of environment is also mostly irrelevant. It didn’t take long before I was overflowing with crafting materials, which is pretty much all you’ll find in the environments, or healing potions which you can only carry a handful anyway for most of the game. Rarely will you find equipment better than you’re already wearing
-dungeons offer zero exploration and puzzles. They‘re just hallways
-side quests are pretty limited for most of the game. Hunts don’t even become available until halfway through
-equipment only offer stat differences, no other types of bonuses
-zero elemental resistances or status effects
-skill tree is super basic, just pick what you want with no branching paths

And so on and so forth.

I mean, your own avatar helps prove my point. Nier Automata is a character action game, but the RPG elements do not feel like an afterthought in that game. They do feel undercooked in FF XVI though.

Beechos

I guess you can say nintendo during snes. Everyone wanted a mario world sequel but instead we got yoshis island, not necessarily a bad thing with how good that game is. I guess zelda to zelda 2 also everyone wanted a straight sequel and we got um side stroller zelda.

Last edited:

dottme

Lionel Ritchie What GIF

The game did get a Switch port. Maybe you were thinking of Xenoblade Chronicles X?
Isn’t the switch version quite modified? I think that’s why I never bought it and I even forgot about it.
edit. More exactly, the WiiU version was already censored, I bought but you realize the censorship is bad. So then I completely ignore the switch one as they didn’t even fix it.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter the thread. Should have stuck to the working formula.

hJLgl3m.png

I doubt it would sell any better or worse, but if I were to do a BOF game on the PS2 I would have stuck to 2D graphics as well.

DDPqENa.jpg

Some PS2 JRPG games used massive sprites so it makes sense to do the same.

I'd throw in the second Capcom franchise that suffered the same doomed fate of moving into 3D and missed the point of what made the previous games work so well and that would be Mega Man X with X 7.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Final Fantasy VII Remake: isn’t a remake and only covers the first 5 hours of Final Fantasy VII
In this case its justified since FFVII Remake expanded on the original Midgar setting and content.

Its a massive project, ambitious enough to be a full trilogy

Square though impossible to meet fans expectations with a single game if FFXIII got 3 i say VIIR deserves 3 as well,plus the second part won't take as long to be released

Scotty W

Gold Member
I guess you can say nintendo during snes. Everyone wanted a mario world sequel but instead we got yoshis island, not necessarily a bad thing with how good that game is. I guess zelda to zelda 2 also everyone wanted a straight sequel and we got um side stroller zelda.
I remember a number of middling reviews for this. It wasn’t until quite a bit later that it took off. I beat it in 95 and thought it was ok. Came back and 100¥’d it 20 years later and loved it, except for that skiing bonus level.

Astral Dog

Isn’t the switch version quite modified? I think that’s why I never bought it and I even forgot about it.
edit. More exactly, the WiiU version was already censored, I bought but you realize the censorship is bad. So then I completely ignore the switch one as they didn’t even fix it.
the Switch version is the same as the NA Wii U version,'censored' in some parts ,normally i would say its not a big deal from what i remember but they did cut DLC

However, the Switch version has extras like new songs ,playable character and a new dungeon(again from what i remember,only played the Wii U version ,its a cool game)

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Apex Legends instead of Titanfall 3

Edit - think I missed the point of the thread but I'm leaving it here
No, you did right. It's actually a very good example that everyone wanted a sequel and we got a spin off that makes a lot of money, so the guys will only do the sequel when planets align. GTA VI is taking more time for the same reason

RoboCain

Need for Speed - Most Wanted (2012): People wanted Most Wanted (2005) part 2, they got Burnout Paradise in disguise.

Need for Speed (2015): People wanted Underground 3, they got Midnight Club meets Forza Horizon. They even doubled on that by releasing a DLC with Underground characters.

Last edited:

acidagfc

Battlefield 2042
They went above and fucking beyond on this one.
All the marketing was about the shit we loved from BF3/4, all those memes in the trailer, like rendezook and c4 bikes, and then we got what we got.
Fucking hell, I get angry just thinking about this game.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Commandos was a slow tactical stealth strategy game that was beloved by many for the long missions that pushed you to think way out of the box to solve chess like puzzles to accomplish really complicated mission, then Call of Duty happened and we got this game:

XBXAQyg.jpg

dotnotbot

I'm sure many gamers got baited by AC4 Black Flag and then expected similar gameplay in later games and were disappointed. My brother is one example. He loved AC4 and then later bought Unity for full price only to play it for like an hour or two and then dropped it.

I want another side-scroller like that with killer swordplay.

I mean, Donkey Kong Country was a standard 16-bit platformer with prerendered graphics (although it was critical in the SNES pulling ahead), in contrast to DK '94's inspired revamp of the OG DK.

nush

Phantasy star online, not that it is a bad game then doubling down and making PSO III a card battle game.

Mhmmm 2077

I'm pretty sure the upcoming Justice League game will fit in this thread too, it's nothing like their previous Arhkam trilogy, which I'd assume, most people wanted more of.

Top Bottom