• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamerant: Gamers Find Scary Connection Between Resident Evil and Coronavirus Outbreak

GrayChild

Besides the obvious link of Resident Evil's plot generally revolving around viral outbreaks, it turns out that there is a biological research lab in Wuhan, China with a logo that looks exactly like a color-swapped Umbrella Corporation logo. For those who haven't been following the news, Wuhan is one of the cities that has been quarantined by the Chinese government in an effort to keep the coronavirus situation from becoming a full-blown epidemic.

Twitter user Undoomed has pointed out another connection between the coronavirus and Resident Evil, though this one is a bit of a stretch. They point out how "corona" is an anagram for "racoon."

rslw-umbrella-corporation-logo.jpg

It has begun! Run for your lives!

Lol, the human mind + the tendency for Chinese companies to borrow images without considering IP for their own use makes for some good conspiracies. :)
My theory is (if it is not as simple as it seems to be reported) is that the local level government panicked or did this on purpose because the current national government is cracking down on corruption. Before it was common for the business people to make money from government funding, but as the government started to crackdown, less and less regular and not too savvy business folks are able to take advantage of this. Thus, there is an incongruence between business interest and national interest on some levels at the moment.

The HK protest is part of this, it is like how in America folks make fun of 'rednecks' for voting for a party that helps big business instead of social welfare.
Well, the disenfranchised citizens of HK subscribe to the same mentality and media exposure.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Lol nice. I wonder if they knew when they picked that to represent the company? Probably is my guess

But anyway, the insane thing with Resident Evil, is that the entire premise of the series is not so far off from reality. There really are twisted scientists who conduct abominable experiments out there. There are actually mad scientists out there with zero scruples, no doubt experimenting in treacherous ways that I would assume nobody would even care to imagine. That's why I respect the series so much, in part, due to the fact that the creator wasn't afraid to touch on that reality. I really do believe people should know, that you can't trust and have to be on your guard for survival. I don't know how one would land themselves in such a terrible situation, but I strongly urge people to take it seriously for a moment, and consider the possibilities

Imagine if they are airing pre recorded footage of the early days on the tvs, and in the quarantined cities a zombie outbreak is actually taking place

Btw, aside from the slight joke, I'm really sorry for them, hope we'll soon arrive to a solution

Trimesh

Banned

Airola

Admit it, you all would wish that instead of just having a disease that kills a lot of people you would like to see a disease that kills a lot of people and then gets the rest eaten by the ones who died. And you all are a bit disappointed that even with this information it's still just a disease that kills people.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Except Coronavirus is considered moderate-weak virus that so far only lethal to elderly and immunocompromise patient

Corona is nothing compared to SARS, Ebola etc

These are respiratory infection they dont turned people into zombie

That Umbrella symbol is where the similarities end

Last edited:

Banned
so people are still freaking out about this flu ass virus?

OH SHIT! I MIGHT GET A RUNNY NOSE AND A COUGH! NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Bkdk

If that’s the case are we about to see many attractive nude girls to show up and stop the virus like resident evil pc versions 🔥?

Trimesh

Banned
Laugh all you want but nobody has cut-off three cities with millions of people under penalty of death due to a "runny nose" before.

I strongly suspect the only reason they shut down the transportation was that the next day was the start of the Spring Festival - and several million people would have been leaving Wuhan and heading back to their home towns.

Since at that point there was nowhere near enough information to accurately estimate either the infectivity of this virus nor the average mortality, they just decided that - drastic as it was - stopping people from leaving the city was the most prudent cause of action. I suspect it will ultimately turn out to have been unnecessary, but they had to base their decisions on the best current information.

mcz117chief

I strongly suspect the only reason they shut down the transportation was that the next day was the start of the Spring Festival - and several million people would have been leaving Wuhan and heading back to their home towns.

Since at that point there was nowhere near enough information to accurately estimate either the infectivity of this virus nor the average mortality, they just decided that - drastic as it was - stopping people from leaving the city was the most prudent cause of action. I suspect it will ultimately turn out to have been unnecessary, but they had to base their decisions on the best current information.
Could be.

Kazza

It's funny, because I came across this in the north of China just a few months ago (pretty far from Wuhan though):

QqRzVYFg.jpg
JXXHBvPg.jpg

Are there just lots of RE fans in China, or should I be worried?

Trimesh

Banned

Are there just lots of RE fans in China, or should I be worried?

I think there are - I've also seen Umbrella stickers on cars in Shenzhen. As an aside, it does show just how ineffective the supposed Chinese "console ban" was.

Dontero

Banned
What if i told you that those people who made chinese t-shirts with random words that make no sense or are just copied from random page in english paper also are in other businesses ?

Trimesh

Banned
What if i told you that those people who made chinese t-shirts with random words that make no sense or are just copied from random page in english paper also are in other businesses ?

I always found the terrible translations one of the more amusing things about being in China.

Some excellent advice from the Shanghai PSB:

0aaLy0p.jpg

Dontero

Banned
Yeah i love those. I still have chinese t-shirt from my young with "Chicago Bulls" under which was Del Piero.

nahcir

Neo Member
The logo thing is pretty funny, but it says "SHANG HAI" underneath it. Wuhan and Shanghai are almost 1,000km apart.

SpartanN92

Banned
That’s REAL?!? I’ve seen that on Facebook a dozen times and assumed it was photoshopped!
😂😂😂 China is a fucked up place man

GrayChild

Resurrecting this thread.

Look, I don't want to make definitive statements, but everything around this panic is... quite strange.

Don't you think that the COVID-19 outbreak that's happening just two weeks before RE3's release is highly suspicious?

It all started with this image:

rslw-umbrella-corporation-logo.jpg

But now we have bats carrying the virus (RE0):

A virus outbreak in China using an agent called the C-Virus:

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/C-Virus_Zombie

Cruise liner carrying the infection (RE: Revelations)

Coverups and damage control attempts by the government (RE6) again.

There' s NO FUCKING WAY all this is just a coincidence.

P.S. Please make sure to pre-order your copies of RE3. <3

Last edited:
I posted that connection a long time ago. Right here... on Neogaf! 👍🏻
And some other wet blanket came in to correct the spelling.

I see now the thread has been resurrected.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I'm actually surprised RE3 hasn't been delayed 'out of respect' because it's about a viral outbreak. TLOU2, too.

Top Bottom