• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games so purdy they were still the bests years later

Hero_Select

u0X7PqD.jpeg

daj1ddO.jpeg

m7EcUMS.jpeg
AW60Ebr.png

FF13 on PC is freaking gorgeous.

Fbh

Ryse, Infamous second son and killzone shadowfall are almost ten years old and they still look gorgeous

Yup.
You could tell me any of these are brand new $60 games coming to Ps5/SX next month and I wouldn't bat an eye.
Sure, maybe they wouldn't be up for "best graphics" awards, but they wouldn't look out of place on next gen consoles.

Uncharted 4.
Also ran 1440 p locked on ps4 pro instead of whatever the fuck res these next gen games run at.

Yeah it still looks great.
Uncharted 4 on Ps5 runs at Native 4K locked 30fps, native 1440p locked 60fps or native 1080p targeting 120fps (not locked but doesn't drop under 100fps even on the most demanding scenes).

fidelitym_000.jpg

fidelity_003_lCkZ3ey.jpg

Meanwhile over the past few months we've gotten a bunch of new games that honestly don't look all that much better and yet they are rendering at 720p (or less in some cases) and can't even hold 60fps.
Devs are killing IQ and performance for increasingly small visual gains that aren't worth it IMO.

And yeah sure Uncharted 4 is a first party game so they get more budget and time and the best tech support from the console maker. But the game is also SEVEN years old.

AA0C6EB29EA67D777C695813909F11C1DDB9884A

77F96B562864FBCAC7355EF366DAB860D812BBC8

Alien Isolation is timeless just like the first movie. Its 9 years old. Dishonored 2 is 7 but the environmental detail is still almost impossible to match. Arkane at its peak. Imagine looking at this old game and looking at Redfall. Fucking hell.

Hardensoul

Journey

Yoshi's Island

Both Ori games

Zelda Wind waker

Battlefield 3

Crysis series

Jetset Radio

Gravity Rush 2

Bloodborne

Assassin's Creed Unity

Most other PS4 exclusives

GTA V
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker was very divisive after reveal and this is pre HD with the art direction it's still looks good.

sigmaZ

I've been playing through Mad Max recently on Series X. Absolute stone cold stunner of a game that released in 2015. I just went through a sand storm at night with an incredible amount of lightning. This game has the best atmospheric and volumetric effects I have ever experienced in a game. It's nuts!

It's hard to find screenshots and gifs that do justice to the visuals but here is one. It looks incredible in motion (120fps, HDR, and I think 1440p on Series X).

a604htea33k01.jpg
That looks like a legit scene from the movie.

Laptop1991

Yeah Crysis, Bioshock 1 and 2 still look good today, and AC Origin's and especially Odyssey although they are not that old

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I votes Crysis and Batman Arkham Knight

mBtqGsN.jpg
Do you know how to fully remove shimmering from TDK? I couldn't ever eliminate shimmering from games till they started at least using TAA. I can play TDK at 4k now so it minimizes the issue but it's still there. It's a shame since the art direction and execution was so good.

Melfice7

Yeah the Trine serie in general looks amazing, I used to play the second one on WiiU and for the longest time I thought it was among the best looking games that generation.

The Ori games look incredible as well.

Nice rain but the creative choice of going with 30fps always ruined it for me, wrong genre for that, looked flickery when driving fast.

double post

Last edited:

Melfice7

Yeah the Trine serie in general looks amazing, I used to play the second one on WiiU and for the longest time I thought it was among the best looking games that generation.

The Ori games look incredible as well.

Nice rain but the creative choice of going with 30fps always ruined it for me, wrong genre for that, looked flickery when driving fast.

that's because you didnt turn off camera shake, its terrible on that game, everything jitters with it on, try it off and see

this is an example with it on:

and an example with it off:

Fredrik

that's because you didnt turn off camera shake, its terrible on that game, everything jitters with it on, try it off and see

No it’s because the high speed and low framerate make the road and scenery at the sides of the road move too far between each update, creating a flicker at the sides. To remove the flicker devs try to hide it with motion blur, more blur the closer to the edges of the screen, creating a sort of blurry tunnel vision, which is not ideal.
There is a reason why all racing games now are running at minimum 60fps. The genre demands it. Some devs go even further now when 60 isn’t the ceiling on consoles.

supernova8

Banned

I think the camera shake adds to the realism. In contrast, I think the camera in Gran Turismo is way too smooth/stable and takes away from the realism. Roads are not perfectly flat surfaces so we should be (even unconsciously) expecting some sort of bumpiness.

Top Bottom