• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that push boundaries in one way or another...

This thread is about games that give the "this is another level" feeling. In one way or another these games have done it for me.

1.TLOU II

2. The Order 1886

3. Cyberpunk 2077 on (PC max settings)

4. Horizon Zero Dawn

5. Death Stranding

6. Spiderman Miles Morales (PS5)

7. BF 2042 (PC max settings)

8. Control (PC max settings)

EDIT: 9.Detroit Become Human

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I found the pursuit of 'that next graphical experience' has left me with some heavy diminishing returns as I've gotten older, BUT,

The recent traversal into open space in Chorus gave me a glimmer of that feeling again, but happy to report the fun combat is 10fold stronger.

Last edited:
Night City in cyberpunk blew my mind. Shit on the game all you want but you gotta give credit to CDPR for making such a huge dense city with so much detail. I do wish there was more accessible areas but the city felt so daunting and imposing. It felt like it never ended and there was always a new place to explore. The times you leave the city it's kinda relaxing, a gasp of air, and a sigh of relief. It's definitely one thing they got right with the game. I know there were performance issues on last gen consoles but still...to create a city like that is insane. It has ruined some maps for me and I can't wait to see what the future holds for map creation. For CDPR i'm not expecting huge cities in Witcher 4 but when we get a Cyberpunk sequel it will be exciting to jump back into Night City. The city isn't just a city it almost feels like a character of its own.

iu

iu

iu

Last edited:
Almost forgot my number 1 pick: Astro Bot: Rescue Mission. This game made perfect use of VR, i would almost say it's the next level for Jump & Runs that not even Super Mario can achieve without VR. Great and diversified level design, nice secrets, tough boss fights and clever gameplay ideas. This game had it all.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This thread is about games that give the "this is another level" feeling. In one way or another these games have done it for me.

1.TLOU II

2. The Order 1886

4. Horizon Zero Dawn

5. Death Stranding

What an absolute terrible list. Oh my. Are you gaming since 2015? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Trilobit

Gold Member

1.TLOU II

2. The Order 1886

4. Horizon Zero Dawn

5. Death Stranding

Why not give an explanation for what you think they have pushed? Do you mean only graphics?

GametimeUK

GTA3 for open world sandbox
Metal Gear Solid for its cinematic presentation
Mario 64 for controls in a 3D space
Super Mario Bros for level design
Crysis for visuals
Ico for its style of storytelling
Halo for FPS on consoles
Tony Hawk Pro Skater for arcade extreme sports
Astrobot for a VR showcase in third person
Half Life Alyx for a VR showcase in first person
Half Life for its style of storytelling
Uncharted 2 set pieces
Gears of War cover shooting

Last edited:

Flabagast

First person dialog in CP2077 is mindblowing and truly a step forward. I have never seen conversations in video games so natural and well animated with so much liberty left to the player in how he can act and move (even if it still is within heavy constraints)

Camreezie

GTA 3 was a big one for me. Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 back on the N64. I thought Witcher 3 came close too last gen

Top Bottom