• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you found surprisingly difficult?

R6Rider

Gold Member
What are some games that you found to be more difficult than expected? Any games that you started off no problem and then got to a point of insane difficulty spike?

One that comes to mind for me is Divinity: Original Sin II. The end game boss fights ended with me turning the difficulty down due to me being underleveled. At the late game a single level difference is insane. I'm not the best at this genre, but was having an overall okay time up until that point playing on the standard/medium setting.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits is another one. The art, the characters, the story all make it seem to be a super easy game, that is mostly relaxing to play. I'd be lying if multiple bosses didn't kick my ass towards the later half of the game.

What are some games that you found to be more difficult than expected? Any games that you started off no problem and then got to a point of insane difficulty spike?

One that comes to mind for me is Divinity: Original Sin II. The end game boss fights ended with me turning the difficulty down due to me being underleveled. At the late game a single level difference is insane. I'm not the best at this genre, but was having an overall okay time up until that point playing on the standard/medium setting.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits is another one. The art, the characters, the story all make it seem to be a super easy game, that is mostly relaxing to play. I'd be lying if multiple bosses didn't kick my ass towards the later half of the game.

The final boss of that game was a pain especially the platforming segments lol

LordOfChaos

I found Sigrun harder than most of the stuff I've been through in SoulsBorne games. That instant unstaggerable face grab. I probably could have gone and got better armour but I just git gud'd it.

El Muerto

Wanted: Dead. Played it on hard when it first came out. There were sections toward the end where you had to fight several of these ninjas in a row to get to a check point and in two or three hits you were dead. I had to take a break and come back. I had an easier time with Sekiro tbh.

Last edited:

TexMex

I have the platinum in Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, Elden Ring and Bloodborne.

But I find those fucking Star Wars Jedi games shockingly difficult. I have no idea why.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Wanted: Dead. Played it on hard when it first came out. There were sections toward the end where you had to fight several of these ninjas in a row to get to a check point and in two or three hits you were dead. I had to take a break and come back. I had an easier time with Sekiro tbh.
I have this game, but haven't started playing it yet. I might have to go cat ear mode.

I thought that Remnant 2 had a weird difficulty spike at the final boss, especially if you were playing the game entirely solo like I did.

This was at launch so I'm not sure if they lowered the difficulty via a patch or something. I think it took me like over 2 dozen tries to beat the boss.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Jagged Alliance 3

I tried it multiple times in the last couple of months but I can't seem to get past the tutorial island. Tried it again recently (on the easiest difficulty) and failed multiple times.

Last edited:

Robochobo

Resident Evil Code Veronica had a few, especially the Tyrant fight on the plane.

Dragon Age: Origins had an insane difficulty adjustment if you played the Deep Roads DLC, broodmother boss was an extremely difficult fight. The game warns you about the difficulty before you even start it.

Doom TAG 1&2, at least the pre-nerfed versions, were on a completely different level compared to the main game.

DragonBall Z Budokai 1 had some of the most annoying fights in the entire franchise. Enemies could read inputs, you'd be down two entire bars of health, the enemy would have extra health states, or Goku would rapidly lose health over time as you fought. The worst being the final mission against Cell who not only read inputs and was overtuned as fuck. Fuck that fight.

KotoR and KotoR II, the entirety of the Star Forge and Malachor V respectively. If you hadn't built your character correctly for endgame you were screwed in either scenario. Both throw high level enemies at you in waves, and the final bosses hit hard as shit. I think I lucked out as a kid playing them for the first times due to only making Unga Bunga max STR/CON Jedi builds.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I thought that Remnant 2 had a weird difficulty spike at the final boss, especially if you were playing the game entirely solo like I did.

This was at launch so I'm not sure if they lowered the difficulty via a patch or something. I think it took me like over 2 dozen tries to beat the boss.
I hated that final boss even playing with friends. It was a visual clusterfuck with few mistakes allowed.

I hated that final boss even playing with friends. It was a visual clusterfuck with few mistakes allowed.
Yeah, I've played as the Handler class as my main (I don't remember the secondary one I used), and apart from the final boss, it wasn't that challenging.

Very cool dark souls-y shooter and I'll have to revisit it at some point this year since I haven't played the two DLCs they released.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Factorio, long live the spaghetti factory.

Probably Ni No Kuni the first game. Most games are pretty easy these days except for the souls like games that you know will be hard. The FF7 Remake and Rebirth hard mode is much tougher than I expected. Especially after 16 was so easy I thought Rebirth would be the same way but it wasn't.

Trilobit

Gold Member
Jedi: Fallen Order. I had no concept of what Souls-like was so I was astounded when that big frog in one of the first stages killed me time after time. Later when I went back and understood it a bit better and had played some games with similar combat it went easier and was fun.

captainpat

Haven. All the reviews for that game made it seem like the combat was stupid easy and you could mostly breeze through the game and just focus on the plot. I could never get the hang of it though. So many battles kicked my ass, I eventually started avoiding any battles not critical path.

SaGa frontier 2 on PS1. Basically rng to win war battle in Gustav's scenario. Also the difficulty spike in the last dungeon is straight up unfair. Only people reading guides would be prepared for it.

Alundra for the puzzle and platforming segments

Vagrant Story for the battle system segments
Man. I played Alundra for the first time some years back and that game was FUCKING hard! It got to a point where it felt like almost every other screen in dungeons was some extremely difficult, infuriating sequence.

I loved a lot about it but I'm not sure I needed Link To The Past ratcheted to 11/10 difficulty wise. They often relied on the view to obscure things etc. and it got pretty obnoxious.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I admit Mario 64 gave some difficult levels, factor in the unwavering controls and weird camera.

Another difficult one is Returnal

Man. I played Alundra for the first time some years back and that game was FUCKING hard! It got to a point where it felt like almost every other screen in dungeons was some extremely difficult, infuriating sequence.

I loved a lot about it but I'm not sure I needed Link To The Past ratcheted to 11/10 difficulty wise. They often relied on the view to obscure things etc. and it got pretty obnoxious.

I played it for the first time two years ago. It took me till Mid 2023 to finish it. I got every item, upgrade and weapon. Found all the Gilded Falcons, etc. I basically 💯 percented everything. The dungeons were hard when it came to the puzzles and platforming. Once you know the enemies patterns, you can easily destroy them. Remember that timed maze with the holes and if you don't jump over them in time they take you to the basement and you have to go upstairs and do the timed maze from the very beginning? It was the Desert Palace if I remember correctly. That was a pain. Each Dungeon had so many annoying segments. But once I got to the final boss, I was able to beat him easily since by than I maxed my stats, got all best equipments/weapons etc

Playing Alundra and hearing people talking though always makes me like this

Animated GIF

I love the game though, it's now in my Top Ten 2D Top Down Adventure Games of All Time

I loved the OST, Story/Cast (Even though Working Designs butchered the translation when it comes to the cast) and especially loved the Pixel 2D Graphical Style and the animation

Still consider it one of the best looking 2D games to this day

Last edited:
I played it for the first time two years ago. It took me till Mid 2023 to finish it. I got every item, upgrade and weapon. Found all the Gilded Falcons, etc. I basically 💯 percented everything. The dungeons were hard when it came to the puzzles and platforming. Once you know the enemies patterns, you can easily destroy them. Remember that timed maze with the holes and if you don't jump over them in time they take you to the basement and you have to go upstairs and do the timed maze from the very beginning? It was the Desert Palace if I remember correctly. That was a pain. Each Dungeon had so many annoying segments. But once I got to the final boss, I was able to beat him easily since by than I maxed my stats, got all best equipments/weapons etc

Playing Alundra and hearing people talking though always makes me like this

Animated GIF

I love the game though, it's now in my Top Ten 2D Top Down Adventure Games of All Time

I loved the OST, Story/Cast (Even though Working Designs butchered the translation when it comes to the cast) and especially loved the Pixel 2D Graphical Style and the animation

Still consider it one of the best looking 2D games to this day
You're right on all fronts. It is a beautiful and great game just can't shake a certain level of salt because man did I not expect to get my ass kicked up and down the street like that.

That puzzle you mentioned. I can't tell you how much I hated it lol. That's kinda the issue, those moments I rememver the most. I never beat it because it kind of wore me down and soured me. I got frustrated because I can't get myself to ever look things up and dropped it.

You're right on all fronts. It is a beautiful and great game just can't shake a certain level of salt because man did I not expect to get my ass kicked up and down the street like that.

That puzzle you mentioned. I can't tell you how much I hated it lol. That's kinda the issue, those moments I rememver the most. I never beat it because it kind of wore me down and soured me. I got frustrated because I can't get myself to ever look things up and dropped it.

I took my time with the game and used a guide to get everything and finish the game as easily as I could. I was glad I only played like one Dungeon per month starting in early 2022. That's why I never got burned out on the game

Last edited:
How about that first boss in AC6? Sure it's fine once you are in the groove of the game but I swear I thought I was stone cold stuck 20 minutes into my shiny new game.
I haven't picked up AC6 yet due to the apparent difficulty. I'm just burnt on ultra-hard games right now. I'll be back to the ass-reaming side of things next year.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Kena is my pick, the game is great but when I played it I want intended to find any big challenge and got frustrated easily at bosses,I want in that mood and the game seemed like a cool light experience lol

Crayon

I haven't picked up AC6 yet due to the apparent difficulty. I'm just burnt on ultra-hard games right now. I'll be back to the ass-reaming side of things next year.

It was after that I had to chill on the hard stuff for a minute. It was just a string of balls hard shit I was playing. Definitely hold off till you're feeling that because its an awesome game.

Top Bottom