• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you found surprisingly difficult?

xrnzaaas

Two recent Star Wars Jedi games are a great example. Some boss fights can be really demanding, especially if you take on the optional bosses too early. A close friend of mine loves Star Wars, but he just dropped Fallen Order as he's not the most skilled player and I guess expected it to be a more relaxing adventure.

Vblad88

Sony's Horizon games. either control scheme does not speak to me at all, or the games actually have old-school difficulty curve, finished both on changed difficulty to "easy" and still struggling.

Besides that dual analog circling around in opposite directions gave me struggle in Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but that is something to blame on Celebral Palsy.

Hudo

Off the top of my head:

Pharaoh
The Nod campaign of Command & Conquer
I remember a weird difficulty spike in Dragon Age: Origins. Was it when you arrived at the Deep Roads?
Descent 3
Astral Chain

GymWolf

Gold Member
I wasn't ready for cartoony knack 1 and 2 to kick my ass sometimes on hard difficulty.

Not super hard, but i was surprised that a childish brawler had any challenge whatsoever.

Kena was also cartoony and cute but some battles were decently challenging, last boss before patch was a bit bullshit even.

I'm susprised by some people answers, were you really surprised to have a freaking rayman game or a team ninja team with some challenge? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Roberts

Probably Ni No Kuni the first game.
I'm not a jrpg guy and no matter how many times I tried, I dropped most of them after playing for a few hours and yet I stuck with this because my daughter seemed to love everything about it. For the most part it was relatively easy and then Jelly fish boss gave me nightmares. We must have replayed that bit for at least 30 times before we got it. Speaking of jrpgs, another one that I played until the end was Yakuza: Like a Dragon and one of the big fights at the end seemed impossible. Had to retreat and grind for a long time before I could move on.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I played it for the first time two years ago. It took me till Mid 2023 to finish it. I got every item, upgrade and weapon. Found all the Gilded Falcons, etc. I basically 💯 percented everything. The dungeons were hard when it came to the puzzles and platforming. Once you know the enemies patterns, you can easily destroy them. Remember that timed maze with the holes and if you don't jump over them in time they take you to the basement and you have to go upstairs and do the timed maze from the very beginning? It was the Desert Palace if I remember correctly. That was a pain. Each Dungeon had so many annoying segments. But once I got to the final boss, I was able to beat him easily since by than I maxed my stats, got all best equipments/weapons etc

Playing Alundra and hearing people talking though always makes me like this

Animated GIF

I love the game though, it's now in my Top Ten 2D Top Down Adventure Games of All Time

I loved the OST, Story/Cast (Even though Working Designs butchered the translation when it comes to the cast) and especially loved the Pixel 2D Graphical Style and the animation

Still consider it one of the best looking 2D games to this day
I was just a child but i got stuck on the fucking graveyard puzzles with the torches for more time than i like to admit...

Two recent Star Wars Jedi games are a great example. Some boss fights can be really demanding, especially if you take on the optional bosses too early. A close friend of mine loves Star Wars, but he just dropped Fallen Order as he's not the most skilled player and I guess expected it to be a more relaxing adventure.

That game has difficulty settings though. He could have played on easier difficulty

cireza

Alundra for the puzzle and platforming segments
That's not difficult, but more super tedious bullshit, in my opinion.

Recently I played Vay on the SEGA-CD, and difficulty balancing became very bad at half the game, making every character close to useless except for the spellcaster.

And then, at the very end of the game, it became even more shit. The game was not difficult, it simply became awful as the only attacks that would do some damage were the fire or lightning spells. How do you ruin a game like this is beyond me.

Thank God Working Designs didn't touch at Dragon Force's balancing.

Catherine was actually very challenging, but it was a great experience.

Last edited:
I thought Smash Bros was a fun party game until I learned there was a competitive scene. Jesus, some of the execution needed in there is brutal.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Old-school JRPGs have no concept of a difficulty curve. It’s just a steep incline that keeps climbing endlessly, and i can only be slightly mitigated by grinding like a scab. Even friendly-looking games like Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings are absolutely ruthless. One unlucky encounter is all it takes to make you fall on your ass hard.

Yoshi’s Island becomes a devilish thing once you step past World 2. If you go for 100%, it’s ruthless and true fuck you galore in some levels.

Rivdoric

Neo Member
Firstly : Sekiro.
Secondly : Sekiro
And third : Sekiro

Oh yeah, I also had a lot of trouble with Sekiro.

Last edited:
images

For anyone that is aware of those games, this sounds funny, but I wasn't.
I went in blind, saw some screenshots, and thought the cover looked cool, so I played it 3 years ago.

I dropped it the same day I started it.

For anyone that doesn't know, if I remember correctly, your health is tied to your performance in the game.
If you play recklessly, you can die in literally one hit.

Playing it well (by the game's standards) is not easy, because the game controlls like piss (For me).

So even though the boss fights are actually very fun, the atmosphere is fantastic, the art direction, the presentation, THE MUSIC, characters, so on, if you can't get passed that system, you won't get far into it.

And I didn't. I don't hate the game, just deeply sad that I'm not good enough to play it.

roxya

I'll agree with Tunic being surprisingly difficult and that difficulty is due to probably the worst combat I've encountered in any highly praised game.

Duchess

I played Demon's Souls on PS3 and was surprised at it being difficult for the sake of it.
I remember having imported that from the US (no UK release at the time), and I got partway through the castle before getting killed. I expected to respawn at a checkpoint, but found myself back at the start.

I stared at the screen. Was I meant to manually save? I decided to pause the game and look for the option, only to discover that you can't pause the game either! 🙃

Top Bottom