• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games this generation that could end up being Rare/Expensive:

Link316 said:
PS2 MGS2 Substance now fetches $50+ for a used copy :)

anyway your list is a little too forgiving, a game usually needs some fanbase/cult following for it to skyrocket in value

I didn't know that. Any reason why it goes for so much? Not enough to go around?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Link316 said:

anyway your list is a little too forgiving, a game usually needs some fanbase/cult following for it to skyrocket in value

I think that was a short thing with substance. I see it all the time for under $20 now.

Link316

Banned
Konami didn't make many cause no one bought it, now everybody wants it

I can only find the Xbox version new for $15, but if you can find the PS2 version new for $20 you can make a nice return on ebay :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SMD: CIMA:The Enemy on GBA is a really rare game I believe.

Finding a new copy of Super Mario Advance in stores was really tough, this last winter season I finally found one in Melbourne, FL (about 1000 miles from where I lived) after searching all last summer/fall!

Nice list, this will definitely be useful. I've seen that Tsugunai:Atonement game once for like $10... girlfriend has it and says it's good but I don't trust her advice any more after she says she hated CT and loves Baten Kaitos :lol Is it worth it to get?

djtiesto said:
SMD: CIMA:The Enemy on GBA is a really rare game I believe.

Finding a new copy of Super Mario Advance in stores was really tough, this last winter season I finally found one in Melbourne, FL (about 1000 miles from where I lived) after searching all last summer/fall!

Nice list, this will definitely be useful. I've seen that Tsugunai:Atonement game once for like $10... girlfriend has it and says it's good but I don't trust her advice any more after she says she hated CT and loves Baten Kaitos :lol Is it worth it to get?

Yeah, the first SMA is out of print. Finding it with the box and manual could be a real chore.

Just looked CIMA up, it's goin' for 30 bucks or more on Ebay, and I could only find 3. So, I guess it's rare.

As for Tsugunai: Atonement, I'm not sure of the quality of the game itself, but it's made by Atlas. Atlas always has short print runs on their games.

SnowWolf said:
Jesus man. You can tell your "rare list" is bonk when it has hundreds of titles :lol

Give me an example of a title on the list that isn't either rare, had a short print run, or will be in demand one day. I'd love to trim the list a bit.

Nobody can truly predict what will become valuable one day, but the point of this thread is to try to guess which games will be.

jarrod

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Not rare: Snood(reprinted), Klonoa: Empire of Dreams(only moderately hard to find), Backyard Baseball(reprinted)
It's worth noting that Klonoa was extremely rare until about a year ago, when new shipments started showing up at Target. I dunno if it was reprinted or old stocks simply "found".

Advance Guardian Heroes and Astro Boy likely had short runs I think. And Sonic Pinball Party was Target exclusive.

jarrod said:
It's worth noting that Klonoa was extremely rare until about a year ago, when new shipments started showing up at Target. I dunno if it was reprinted or old stocks simply "found".

Advance Guardian Heroes and Astro Boy likely had short runs I think. And Sonic Pinball Party was Target exclusive.

Astro Boy sold very well, so that won't become rare. You're right about Advance Guardian Heroes. It's still in print, but I doubt that'll last. Sonic Pinball Party is extremely rare. Forgot about that one.

Blabala

2 WORDS = CASTELVANIA + GBA

Maybe not Circle Of The Moon, but the other 2.

some other ideas :
Sega : Phantasy Star Online Ep1&2 - GC
Rez - PS2

Capcom RE0 not player's choice ...

Blabala said:
2 WORDS = CASTELVANIA + GBA

Maybe not Circle Of The Moon, but the other 2.

some other ideas :
Sega : Phantasy Star Online Ep1&2 - GC
Rez - PS2

Capcom RE0 not player's choice ...

Come to think of it, I don't see non-Players Choice RE0 too often...same goes for Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and Sonic Mega Collection.

Link316

Banned
jarrod said:

Namco reprints their stuff from time to time, Vampire Night's now available too

joshschw

Link316 said:

they must have had around 12 of these for $6.50 at Target about a year ago. :) oh well.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Dai Senryaku VII?

Not sure what the print run on that is, but it seems like an under the radar title for a lot of people who might discover it later on.

Geek said:
Dai Senryaku VII?

Not sure what the print run on that is, but it seems like an under the radar title for a lot of people who might discover it later on.

I'll say. I've never even heard of it!

jenov4

Great list, the only one that I can think of that's not mentioned here is Kingdom Hearts (non GH version obiviously)

Disney & Square = collecting fanboy's wet dream.

Update: Also thought of another one that's not mentioned, Zone of Enders 1 & 2 for the PS2. WOW how can you guys forget this one?!

That's true.

A good comparisson would be Final Fantasy 7.

You can still buy new copies of the GH version of the game today for about 10 dollars.

But I've seen Non-GH copies go for over fifty bucks!

All because of a green stripe. :lol

Link316

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
But I've seen Non-GH copies go for over fifty bucks!

All because of a green stripe. :lol

you can thank people like me for that, no green strip of shame for me ;)

Barrage

Link316 said:
Konami didn't make many cause no one bought it, now everybody wants it

I can only find the Xbox version new for $15, but if you can find the PS2 version new for $20 you can make a nice return on ebay :)

...Are youi serious? I find copies of the PS2 version for $14 Canadian all the time. :)

Tabris

Atlus games.

I buy almost every Atlus game that comes out, cause I don't want to pay a 100 bucks on ebay for it like 2 years later.

Sonic Pinball Party is a great title, if you like your rarities to also be playable.

Would Pinball of the Dead be considered rare?

Jumpman Jr. said:
Sonic Pinball Party is a great title, if you like your rarities to also be playable.

Would Pinball of the Dead be considered rare?

I've seen Pinball of the Dead go for more than retail price on Ebay(over 30 bucks), so its at least uncommon.

And I agree with your sentiment on Sonic Pinball Party. Fun game, though I actually like POTD a bit more.

ChrisReid

SonicMegaDrive said:
Potentially Rare/Expensive Games This generation:

Microsoft:
Azurik: Rise Perathia

Ugh, check your local game store's $4.99 dump bin. There's millions of these. Kakuto Chojin? Sure, it was recalled, but it was more acurately a field destroy for most stores. That means a million game store clerks went and took these copies and have been slowly hawking them on ebay for $10. About there your list breaks down.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I am still really, really pissed that my copy of Tactics Ogre stopped saving my game. I'm still searching for a replacement GBA cart.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Speaking of rare GBA games...I picked one up today that I've never seen before.

Crazy Chase by Kemco. Fun little title too. Bargain bin.

MoxManiac

Dude, Rogue Ops does not belong on that list. Everywhere I go, places have like 500 copies in the bargain bin. There's plenty to go around, and no one wants them.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
A *Used* PAL Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast goes for about $50-$70 on US Ebay. I'm considering putting my copy up on there...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Two things...

Bookworm for the GBA is really, really good. It's hooked several non-traditional gamers in my family, and I love it as well. If people actually knew about it, I'd say it would be considered one of the best of the modern puzzle games.

Santa Claus Saves the World -- or whatever that Telegames GBA game was called... did it EVER get a real release? I thought I remembered seeing it on the Telegames site, but I didn't think they ever shipped any. I want one, just for the novelty of having it... it does seem to be destined to be impossibly rare.

As far as the GBA in Japan... I have this distinct impression that there was some sort of Super Mario Bros. w/ SMAS graphics rerelease as part of some very limited promotion, a year or so before the Famicom Mini series. Does anyone have information on that?

VALIS

DavidDayton said:
Santa Claus Saves the World -- or whatever that Telegames GBA game was called... did it EVER get a real release? I thought I remembered seeing it on the Telegames site, but I didn't think they ever shipped any. I want one, just for the novelty of having it... it does seem to be destined to be impossibly rare.

As far as I know the GBA version was released but not the PS1 version, unfortunately. You can buy the GBA version from their website for $20. At least, they list it as "available now."

I'd say the Guy Game for sure. :D

Also, what about NCAA Football 2K3 from Sega Sports? First and only college football game from Sega on PS2, XBox, or GC. Also the first game to feature the ESPN integration as well I think.

What about BMX XXX? I remember it was a poor game, but how did it sell? Ya know, controversy and crap.

Stryder

I have a sealed copy of Rez for PS2 which is the NTSC - JAP version.. Is this rare/worth keeping? I picked it up pretty cheap a while ago on ebay.

ocelittle

Banned
I would think that the Zelda Collectors Disk will fetch some good money in the future.

It's already going for 40 bucks on eBay.

Thank God I still have two shrinkwrapped.

Vibri

Banned
Technic Beat for sure - totally unusual and unique music game, awesome original and remix Namco music (that no one can rip, hence you need the game),and it's already impossible to find,

ocelittle said:
I would think that the Zelda Collectors Disk will fetch some good money in the future.

It's already going for 40 bucks on eBay.

Thank God I still have two shrinkwrapped.

Ah, that's a good one. The Zelda Collector's Disk is actually pretty common, but I don't see too many people letting go of it. It'll shoot up in value, for sure.

JohnDoe8865 said:
I'd say the Guy Game for sure. :D

Also, what about NCAA Football 2K3 from Sega Sports? First and only college football game from Sega on PS2, XBox, or GC. Also the first game to feature the ESPN integration as well I think.

What about BMX XXX? I remember it was a poor game, but how did it sell? Ya know, controversy and crap.

There is no way BMX XXX will ever be worth money. It's an example of a game that, while not many copies were printed, absolutely nobody wants to play. Of course I could be wrong, and its reputation might make it a collector's item. That, and the fact that it was one of the last Acclaim games(As well as one of the games that eventually did them in.)

Rez - Japanese version: Good question. I'd say it probably won't be worth too much. The game can be found quite easily in most markets(Europe, Australia, and Japan). It's the North American version that is hard to come by(Though, the game isn't nearly as rare as it's price leads you to believe).

Gamecube in-store demos, at least for the dedicated Gamecube collector. Since the demo discs are not for sale and have to be sent back to Nintendo after a while they aren't easily obtainable.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
neopokekun said:
Gamecube in-store demos, at least for the dedicated Gamecube collector. Since the demo discs are not for sale and have to be sent back to Nintendo after a while they aren't easily obtainable.
BWahahaaha.... I've obtained most of the older ones, now just to get 21+

Top Bottom