• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot - Playstation Meeting (450 Dev Kits shipped, Nvidia programming, partners )

Lots of little comments in there.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129611.html

"I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households. I think everyone can still buy it if they wanted to," said Kutaragi to a mostly Japanese crowd. "But we're aiming for consumers throughout the world. So we're going to have to do our best [in containing the price]."

Then Kutaragi issued a somewhat ominous warning. "I'm not going to reveal its price today. I'm going to only say that it'll be expensive," he stated.

Kutaragi surprised the crowd by revealing that, to date, only 450 PS3 dev kits have been shipped worldwide. Sony plans to release an additional 200 units in August and 300 more in September, but most developers probably will have to wait until October, when the company will ramp up its production to 3,000 units per month. For the time being, though Kutaragi admitted the current shortage is a problem. "We've been getting a lot of requests from developers since E3 that they want more development kits for the PS3," he said. "The demand for the kits has gone beyond what we can handle. We've been discussing what we can do about it."

In his final remarks, Kutaragi hinted that PS3 demos of games will be playable at the Tokyo Game Show in September. "We hope to use the Tokyo Game Show as a chance for everyone to get to know, or possibly experience, what next-generation entertainment is all about," he said.

evil ways

I still believe that if the 360 launches first with a $299 price tag, Sony will get pressured to keep the price in the $299-$349 range. Then again they can always play the "We're launching later, which means newer, better and more powerful hardware" card to try and justify the price.

littlewig

Banned
evil ways said:
I still believe that if the 360 launches first with a $299 price tag, Sony will get pressured to keep the price in the $299-$349 range. Then again they can always play the "We're launching later, which means newer, better and more powerful hardware" card to try and justify the price.

BELIEVE!!!

llTll

Banned
evil ways said:

well.. i dont expect it to be more than 400 $,and if it isaround this price, then i dont mind.

Pimpwerx

llTll said:
well.. i dont expect it to be more than 400 $,and if it isaround this price, then i dont mind.
It was close to that in Japan when it launched, with the conversion and all. So it's not out of the realm of possibility. And seeing the crap they pulled with the PSP, I wouldn't doubt it. I just don't think they could be that stupid. I can see it being a flop at anything over $350, and even that's too steep IMO. But I'm just cheap, and I'll never pay more than $300 for a console. If the PS3 is $350-400, I will have a 360, and preorder a fucking Rev. Then again, there's no guarantee the 360 will be $300 either. :? PEACE.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
What are the chances these PS3=$$$ statements from K.K. are just a headfake towards Microsoft?

$400 I could see....but more than that would be pushing it....

fugimax

PS3 = $449 - $499 at launch.

Sony is going to try and ride a bluray wave that just won't be there like the DVD was for PS2.

Rhindle

Kleegamefan said:
What are the chances these PS3=$$$ statements from K.K. are just a headfake towards Microsoft?

$400 I could see....but more than that would be pushing it....
I'm sure it's a bit of a bluff, and a bit of them wanting to keep their options open to see how the X360 does. If it does well (which it will) then PS3 will launch at $299, no Blu-Ray, no nonsense.

Pimpwerx

Rhindle said:
I'm sure it's a bit of a bluff, and a bit of them wanting to keep their options open to see how the X360 does. If it does well (which it will) then PS3 will launch at $299, no Blu-Ray, no nonsense.
Removing BR is not an option. And it's not the cost leader in the system. BR has been a part of the PS3 spec for over a year. Hell, it was the first PS3 spec, b/c we didn't get Cell or RSX details until this year. It will not be removed. Not now, not ever. Guaran-damn-teed. If they remove the BR drive, that format is almost dead in the water IMO. There will be no trojan horse, and with HDTV penetration so low, there will be no incentive to move on from DVD. BR is as much a part of the PS3 as Cell and RSX IMO. I can't see them yanking that drive for the world. PEACE.

Striek

I'm getting "woah how did Sony release the PS3 with all that stuff for $300 vibes", ala PS2. Doing stuff like this will only make the X360 seem overpriced if the PS3 matches it...

llTll

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
It was close to that in Japan when it launched, with the conversion and all. So it's not out of the realm of possibility. And seeing the crap they pulled with the PSP, I wouldn't doubt it. I just don't think they could be that stupid. I can see it being a flop at anything over $350, and even that's too steep IMO. But I'm just cheap, and I'll never pay more than $300 for a console. If the PS3 is $350-400, I will have a 360, and preorder a fucking Rev. Then again, there's no guarantee the 360 will be $300 either. :? PEACE.

i was saying 400$ in US, that mean it can be somewhere like 480$ in japan when it get released.

as for xbox 360, its 300$. i am like 99% sure [ no i dont have source but you can tell from all those interviews and shit ]

Doube D

you people don't get it do you? Sony is not adding blu-ray to the ps3 to advance the cause of the ps3, they are doing it to advance the prospects of BLU-RAY. The brd is the one thing GUARANTEEEEEED not to be removed and sony will sellout of every single launch unit they make, even at a 500 dollar price point. The ps3 isn't another console to the average consumer, its is video gaming period. Xbots seem to forget that when average consumers in Wal-Mart and toysrus think video games, they think playstation and the hype for the ps3 will be HUGE. I think sony will launch at a high price point, xbots will claim doom n gloom, sony will sellout every single console unit they make, then drop the price for the 07.

The ps3 is not aimed at little Johnny that needs mommy to buy him a game. It is aimed at the same people that happily put down 300+ dollars for an ipod that does NOTHING buy play mp3s. Get a job folks.

llTll

Banned
fugimax said:
Um...it's Sony. They act like their balls are the size of the moon.

well.... Sony is number 1, MS isnt. so yeah. Sony can act like their balls are the size of the moon.

because when MS is number 1, they will act like their balls are the size of the sun

Mupepe

Banned
llTll said:
well.... Sony is number 1, MS isnt. so yeah. Sony can act like their balls are the size of the moon.

because when MS is number 1, they will act like their balls are the size of the sun

Your analogies suck, both of you. When Nintendo was on top, they acted like their balls were the size of the moon. As the industry grew, so did their balls' respective counterparts. So, Sony is acting like their balls are the size of the Earth, not the moon. And MS will act like theirs is the size of the Sun, that's assuming they don't choose the next largest planet, but seriously, who cares about any other planet? PEACE

llTll

Banned
Doube D said:
you people don't get it do you? Sony is not adding blu-ray to the ps3 to advance the cause of the ps3, they are doing it to advance the prospects of BLU-RAY. The brd is the one thing GUARANTEEEEEED not to be removed and sony will sellout of every single launch unit they make, even at a 500 dollar price point. The ps3 isn't another console to the average consumer, its is video gaming period. Xbots seem to forget that when average consumers in Wal-Mart and toysrus think video games, they think playstation and the hype for the ps3 will be HUGE. I think sony will launch at a high price point, xbots will claim doom n gloom, sony will sellout every single console unit they make, then drop the price for the 07.

The ps3 is not aimed at little Johnny that needs mommy to buy him a game. It is aimed at the same people that happily put down 300+ dollars for an ipod that does NOTHING buy play mp3s. Get a job folks.

couldnt say it better.
Thank you

its even going to be backed in with:
1- the most powerful console
2- next gen DVD player.
3- amazing games like MGS GTA, Tekken, Final Fantasy and so on.
4- the brand name of playstation
these 4 things alone [ not including anything else] will make the console huge seller

llTll

Banned
Mupepe said:
Your analogies suck, both of you. When Nintendo was on top, they acted like their balls were the size of the moon. As the industry grew, so did their balls' respective counterparts. So, Sony is acting like their balls are the size of the Earth, not the moon. And MS will act like theirs is the size of the Sun, that's assuming they don't choose the next largest planet, but seriously, who cares about any other planet? PEACE

can someone translate that?

i didnt get it.

are you saying that Sony kicked nintendo when nintendo was the leader?

dont compare Sony to Nintendo. Sony wont get the shaft because they are using Next Gen format. Nintendo got the shaft because they were using old format on a new console [ read MicroSoft]

Sony so far has been doing nothing but amazing stuff for ps3. great dev kits, powerful console. great games.

they wont give it to you for free. and if you are going to complain about 100$ you are going to pay more than normal 300$ to get all those functions, then you are not a gamer. and its better for you to buy GC because its cheaper

[ if that wasnt your point. then please ignore ]

Striek said:
I'm getting "woah how did Sony release the PS3 with all that stuff for $300 vibes", ala PS2. Doing stuff like this will only make the X360 seem overpriced if the PS3 matches it...

That's the way I'm seeing it as well. You already have wild speculation by the media and fans that the system will be $450+, something you never hear with xbox360, all the while fueling the belief that it's a ridiculously more powerful console. So when they do launch, probably at a slightly higher pricepoint than 360, say around $349, people will think more value at only a slightly higher cost.

We aren't up to think the PS3 is going to cost 500 yet? So close to what so many people were thinking the PS2 was going to cost.

The more I read about PS3, the more the PSP makes sense in a way. With all these news stories, the odds of the PS3 being anywhere near $300 is 0. Its not going to happen. Now they are talking about having a launch for the US in the Spring. The PSP could very well just be a stopgap for people to play new Sony titles and wait until the PS3 drops to an affordable price. Not now, I mean in 2006 when people rush to order PS3s but find out from the EB clerk that its $399 (or more, considering how it will be bundled most likely). Then they get a PSP in the meantime and wait a year until its $299 or lower.

Then by the time PS3 is affordable for all (which will be 2007-2008), the PSP will have ran its course and the plan for it to be a stopgap is complete with probably 20-25 million units sold, enough for Sony to make a tidy profit off of.

I'm waiting for TGS personally. I want some more titles announced but none of the E3 ones look good enough. If there is a DW6 for the launch, I'm sold

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I could see perhaps $400 max *but* during E3, there was an interview that said PS3 would be under 40,000 Yen just like PSOne and PS2 during launch...

If true, $299 at US launch could be a possibility :drool...

Best part is, MS is making Sony fight hard and vice versa...

Like the Carley Simon song says: "These are the good 'Ol days" :D

I would not be at all surprised to see the PS3 launch at a very high price but quickly drop in order to take advantage of early adapters but still keep sales steady.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I think MS will go for the $349 Price Point at launch and the PS3 will go for the $399 Price Point. Rev will probably come in at $249 or $199.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm...there were more interesting details hiding away in that article:

Unlike the other development tools, the Unreal Engine 3 will not be for free. Publishers will be given an evaluation version in September, and they can choose whether to purchase the suite at the end of November.

?? Havok & AGEIA will be free to PS3 developers? Is Sony including a license for each with every kit?

Havok comes with every X360 kit, but I assumed that if you actually wanted to use it in a game you'd have to pay further fees.

Can anyone clear that up?

Also, some other interesting bits:

Sony is forming an alliance with chipmaker Transmeta Corporation, a company renowned for its software emulation technology and it x86-compatible, software-based microprocessors. Transmeta will be offering an SPE optimizer and software that will allow developers to effectively program for the Cell processor and its seven SPEs. The tools will allow Statistical Process Control (SPC) simulation on PCs, and it will also let programmers debug and tune their programs with runtime info. Transmeta's tools will be shipped to developers in Q4 2005.

After Bandai, Koei showed a real-time demo of its PS3 game, Ni-Oh, which featured a Dynasty-Warrior-esque character fighting multiple enemies. Pausing the game and changing the camera angles, Koei chairman Keiko Erikawa zoomed in on the character's face to show its detail, which even showed the pores on the skin. Flanked by an assistant wielding a PS2 controller, Erikawa explained that with the PS2, developers were able to allot about 1,000 polygons on a character's face. With the PS3, Erikawa's team was able to allot up to 1.5 million polygons. Erikawa explained that additional polygons allow for more subdivision surfaces, allowing more wrinkles and personalities to the face. Erikawa also zoomed in on the door of the room in the demo, and showed how the PS3 allows the reflection on the floor to change naturally when the camera's angle is shifted around. Like Bandai, Koei developed its demo using its self-produced program engines for the PS3. "Our challenge will be to create a game that is as high quality as the graphics the PS3 can create. We look forward to the Tokyo Game Show," commented Erikawa at the end of her presentation.

I really want to see that demo directfeed. The higher quality photos of it looked much more impressive than IGN's footage might lead you to believe.

DSN2K

$399 US

£349 UK..... sony know we will pay regardless :(

€449 rest of Europe

guessing they will bundle stuff with it to justify the high price.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some other related bits and bobs from PC Watch Impress:

Another look at the PS3 dev kit:

kaigai01.jpg

Some more info on the constitution of the second, and latest, evaluation system:

kaigai02l.gif

The bandwidth in the evaluation system is severely constrained versus the final hardware - the GPU is using PCi Express 4x, for 2GB/s of bandwidth. Cell communicates with the southbridge at 5GB/s. The final system will see 35GB/s between RSX and Cell in comparison.

Because of the relatively constrained bandwidth between Cell and G70 in the evaluation system, the G70 in there has 512MB of local memory - the G70 in the kit cannot access main memory in the same way RSX will be able to.

The article wraps up with some of PC Watch Impress's own commentary on Cell<->RSX and their relationship, discussing the things the current kits can't allow that the final hardware will. e.g. doing lots of vertex work on cell and passing the data on to RSX. Or on the other side, taking data from RSX for post-processing (pixels), or being able to maintain very high numbers of vertices even with per-vertex collision detection. In systems with low bandwidth between CPU and GPU, e.g. PCs, if you want to do per vertex collision detection, you may need to cut down on how many vertices you use, even if your GPU is capable of more, since with high vertex loads you may not be able to pass back your vertex data from GPU to CPU every frame. For example, with PCi Express 16x, assuming 60 frames per second, the GPU could write back up to ~68MB of data to the CPU every frame (or ~4.5m vertices, uncompressed). On PS3, it'll be able to write back up to 256MB per frame (or ~16.75m vertices, uncompressed). Obviously, you'll be using GPU-to-CPU bandwidth for more things, but you get the idea (basically a ~4x difference if you need to do that kind of work). They also talk about how a developer could balance between Cell and the GPU depending on their priorities. If the GPU becomes the bottleneck (i.e. high graphics load), you could use Cell to take some of the load and speed things up. If the graphics are handled fine on the GPU, then you can tip the balance back into physics and such.

Basically they conclude that it may be the best of both the console world (relatively high geometry) and the PC world (relatively high "expression" e.g. pixel work), and that with current demonstrations and such, they cannot be making the most of this key characteristic (CPU<->GPU). This is also a characteristic in X360, at least relative to PCs, but with less resources on the CPU side.

DCX

DCX
I won't be surprised if launched at 499 but with extras kinda like a value pack with a Blu-Ray movie, a 128 MB Memory Stick maybe a demo disk. Throw aways especially if Sony owns the techs to what's being given away, i mean hell the demo disk could just be the ducks one track of Vision GT and Molina and they can get away with that. A stand Alone would be like 399-429.

DCX

I thought the latest PS3 evaluation Kit still had a 2.4 GHz Cell, at least according to those slides you posted a few days ago. Is Goto speculating again?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
celestial body said:
I thought the latest PS3 evaluation Kit still had a 2.4 GHz Cell, at least according to those slides you posted a few days ago. Is Goto speculating again?

Yup, that's one mistake with their diagram.

Also, something that is confusing me is that whilst they say in the diagram that the G70 in the current system has 2GB/s to the southbridge, later in their own commentary on the article, they say it was 8GB/s up and down. 2GB/s is in line with PCi Express 4x, which is what the main article appears to say the GPU is using currently, while 8GB/s would be in line with PCi-Express 16x.

I guess something's getting lost in the translation. The article is here if anyone can do a better job than google ;): http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0722/kaigai199.htm

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Everytime Sony announces new hardware, it's going to be soooooo expensive...yet they always get the price down. I still believe that $299 for the US will be the pricepoint they hit. Of course, it could be higher in Japan...which actually affects me more. :\

evilromero said:
Damn. I really want to get the PS3 at launch but if it's over $300 I'm just going to wait.

i'll be getting it at launch....i'm glad 360 and ps3 are staggered which means i can recover from my 360 purchase just in time for Sony's new hardware

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
gofreak said:
Some other related bits and bobs from PC Watch Impress:

Another look at the PS3 dev kit:

kaigai01.jpg

Some more info on the constitution of the second, and latest, evaluation system:

kaigai02l.gif

The bandwidth in the evaluation system is severely constrained versus the final hardware - the GPU is using PCi Express 4x, for 2GB/s of bandwidth. Cell communicates with the southbridge at 5GB/s. The final system will see 35GB/s between RSX and Cell in comparison.

Because of the relatively constrained bandwidth between Cell and G70 in the evaluation system, the G70 in there has 512MB of local memory - the G70 in the kit cannot access main memory in the same way RSX will be able to.

The article wraps up with some of PC Watch Impress's own commentary on Cell<->RSX and their relationship, discussing the things the current kits can't allow that the final hardware will. e.g. doing lots of vertex work on cell and passing the data on to RSX. Or on the other side, taking data from RSX for post-processing (pixels), or being able to maintain very high numbers of vertices even with per-vertex collision detection. In systems with low bandwidth between CPU and GPU, e.g. PCs, if you want to do per vertex collision detection, you may need to cut down on how many vertices you use, even if your GPU is capable of more, since with high vertex loads you may not be able to pass back your vertex data from GPU to CPU every frame. For example, with PCi Express 16x, assuming 60 frames per second, the GPU could write back up to ~68MB of data to the CPU every frame (or ~4.5m vertices, uncompressed). On PS3, it'll be able to write back up to 256MB per frame (or ~16.75m vertices, uncompressed). Obviously, you'll be using GPU-to-CPU bandwidth for more things, but you get the idea (basically a ~4x difference if you need to do that kind of work). They also talk about how a developer could balance between Cell and the GPU depending on their priorities. If the GPU becomes the bottleneck (i.e. high graphics load), you could use Cell to take some of the load and speed things up. If the graphics are handled fine on the GPU, then you can tip the balance back into physics and such.

Basically they conclude that it may be the best of both the console world (relatively high geometry) and the PC world (relatively high "expression" e.g. pixel work), and that with current demonstrations and such, they cannot be making the most of this key characteristic (CPU<->GPU). This is also a characteristic in X360, at least relative to PCs, but with less resources on the CPU side.

*Mr. Spock voice*

Facinating!!!!

For example, with PCi Express 16x, assuming 60 frames per second, the GPU could write back up to ~68MB of data to the CPU every frame (or ~4.5m vertices, uncompressed). On PS3, it'll be able to write back up to 256MB per frame (or ~16.75m vertices, uncompressed).

So that means that with the current Evaluation systems, the max polys per sec @ 60 frames would be 135 millon polygons per second (4.5million * 60 * 0.5 because it takes 2 verticies to make one polygon) whereas with a FlexIO equipped PS3 or PS3 Dev station that jumps to more than a half a billion polygons per second (16.75 * 60 * 0.5=502.5Mpps)...

Imagine the scene complexity you could do with even 2 or 3 million polys per frame!!!

Main characters with half a million poly meshes would not be out of the question!!

No doubt that would look like CG then! :D

Raven.

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
*Mr. Spock voice*

Facinating!!!!

So that means that with the current Evaluation systems, the max polys per sec @ 60 frames would be 135 millon polygons per second (4.5million * 60 * 0.5 because it takes 2 verticies to make one polygon) whereas with a FlexIO equipped PS3 or PS3 Dev station that jumps to more than a half a billion polygons per second (16.75 * 60 * 0.5=502.5Mpps)...

Imagine the scene complexity you could do with even 2 or 3 million polys per frame!!!

Main characters with half a million poly meshes would not be out of the question!!

No doubt that would look like CG then! :D

You sure about that? I may be mistaken, but IIRC after you get a model with a few polys going, the shared vertices mean vertice number ~/= triangle/poly number in most scenarios.

evil ways said:

The problem with these threads is that most people invariably take very US-centric view when it comes to pricing largely ignoring Japanese and European pricing

Europe will be the biggest market next gen and here Sony can charge $450-$600 for the PS3 making a $299 US pricepoint very bearable.

Japanese launch price will also be closer to $400 than $299.

The point is Sony can leverage its utter domination in Japan and Europe to fight the good fight where it's challenged most - the US.

Top Bottom